Elephant in the Room

Thanks for sharing your story. I have gone down a few times offroad and have yet to find really good fitting protection.

I have a good MIPS helmet and leather gloves... but need to find comfortable, lightweight armor for the knees and elbows.

@PDoz made the recommendations...as usual, he's spot-on. ;)

@dak1010 - 51 here, only two falls in 2.5 years, fortunately. 1 was while in motion. I was doing a broad, slow speed U-turn in a car-less empty street. It had rained in the early morning hours before my morning ride. My back wheel went across a slick manhole cover (my path had the front wheel just skirt the perimeter of the manhole as I recall) as I was just finishing the arc of the whole U-turn; the whole bike slid out from under me and down, so instantly, I don’t even think I had time to register I was in mid-fall! Didn’t hit my head / helmet as my left side (shoulder, upper arm, thigh) took the hit. The real injury after the typical scrapes and bruises was from the weight of the bike (53 lbs empty), focused at the cast aluminum battery housing, slamming into my pavement-pinned leg a bit below my knee. That grand prize bruise ended up running clear down to my ankle, wrapped halfway around the circumference of my leg and had a swollen center area for -8 weeks the size of a mango split in half, before gradually fading. Today, 2 years later, that injury area still remains generally slightly “mounded” along the front face of my leg (when viewed sidelong) and has a small slightly darker discolored patch about 1.5 inches in diameter still at the point of impact, and a barely perceptible shallow indentation at that point. (I had it x-rayed about 3 weeks in, in case of fracture or chip; no bone damage it turned out.)
The other fall was rather embarrassingly, from a standing position at a stop, straddling the bike frame, as I just started to walk the bike back onto the pavement; I’d clipped one foot in to start to crank and I misjudged the thickness / rise of the pavement, as well as approaching it at the wrong angle, and down I went, essentially from a standstill. (This was on the 28 pound analog.) Just some bad road rash on the (same leg as before) kneecap and just below the kneecap.
While I wear a helmet and palm padded gloves while riding I’ve not adopted any other body armor so far.
On my analog bike I had two similar falls. Once on a trail covered in wet leaves, bike slid out from underneath me. Hyperextended my arm. I was afraid I might have broken my collarbone but it was ok. Bike was new. Bike shop recommended a change in tires. Second fall, I had new clipins. Got to stoplight, feet would not clip out. Down I went on left side nearest cars. I was ok. No damage to me or bike. Bike shop adjusted the pedals. After that I always clipped out one foot when I thought I might need to stop or slow down. I will not use clipless pedals on my e bike. Riding on a shared path is nice but pedestrians are a constant danger as they often step in your path. I slow down and give them a wide berth if I can. But sometimes you cannot. Going over a small bridge on path woman with a stroller stopped. I avoided her but went off side of bridge down a few feet. Luckily I was ok and so was bike. I would not want to do that these days. I do not bounce as well. I always wear a helmet and usually half finger gloves and sunglasses.

So from most of the responses I'm reading awareness would reduce much of the risk. I guess the first thing to be aware of is your not the racer you were when younger. My wife and I were doing a very groomed single track about a month ago. On that ride there was a low hanging limb that i went to avoid by going around the tree, I miscalculated and wacked my upper body and shoulder on the tree at maybe 5mph. Guess what it's still sore after 5 weeks or so. I have come to the conclusion that although I might have the brain of a 17yo ( according to my wife) the VA says I'm MCI and my body says its fragile and will take a long time to overcome even minor bumps and bruises. I have simply decided to slow down and enjoy the ride as the old man I am lol

Appreciate the stories and reminders. Been there and done that. However as I get older, trying to use my wisdom and years of riding to be smarter with my now 60 yo body. Recovery time is at a premium at this stage of life and I'd rather be riding than recovering. Agree with prior safety gear mentioned - helmet, gloves, bell, mirror, lights - always. Sometimes: wrist pads. arm covers, and or leg covering stuff. A couple things that haven't been mentioned:
1) I live in tourist area near beach. My least favorite time to ride beach path is in summer with tourists, who do the "deer step" in your path. I have learned to identify residents from tourists pretty well by watching body language form the rear. For tourists I RARELY yell out - I just watch their body language long enough to pass safely in silent. If I do yell out, it will be "WATCH OUT" and far in advance, as I slow and anticipate a bad move on their part. To many headsets, cell phones and distracted pedestrians to expect them to be mindful of my needs or know what it means when I say: "on your left". Locals: dress differently and know the L/R moves. Walk intentionally as if they are there for exercise and not wandering.

2) As a former motorcycle rider who took safety classes in riding, I am aware oncoming drivers do not judge single dimensions/ (bikes/motorcycles with one light) differently than wide vehicles and double headlights. Which is why many driver's mistakenly turn left in front of bikes/motorcycles and cut them off. I know if I have any accident, regardless of who's fault it is, I lose. So the older I get the more obnoxious I am. When I cross trafficed intersections, I Wave, Stand up, ring bell - do anything needed to make sure the vehicle drivers see me. If they don't, I slow, stop, etc. Clothing is light colored, with a netted fluorescent yellow-green vest that fits over anything. My jacket is neon yellow green for a reason and sleeves can be zipped out. My new helmet will be an obnoxious color - not because I like the color but for safety. Handlebar grips and pedals are also lime green. These are not choices I necessarily like, but I do them for safety. Also, if you ride in low light try and have two headlights and two tail lights, left and right sides, even if they are little removable lights attached to fork and rails. This gives your bike dimension and makes it much easier for oncoming folks to judge your distance. I also try and have some lights pointing sideways, so at an intersection drivers from the sides see me.

3) Getting off the road and to the trails - It's been many years and I realized my skills were deteriorated. I found a great you tube series by 'kyle and april' on skill building. So I've been working on the basketball courts on low turns, weaving, front braking without going over the handlebars, etc. All good skills regardless of where I ride. I strongly recommend his series. Stay safe and bike on!

My story is similar BikeOn - over a hundred thousand miles of road bikes, probly more than that off. About half the road miles on adventure bikes - about 55K over the last ten years. I'm 63.

I always wore black, or dark colors, a black helmet. I rode like they didn't even see me - I expected them not to. Hated neon green or orange, bright colors.

Not a single accident or lay down on road, not even a parking lot tip-over. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Zero. LOL Last year I sold my last bike, a BMW R1200GS. Not a single one of my riding buddies escaped injury - a couple are in wheelchairs. All my injuries were riding dirtbikes, and there were plenty - even broke a Shoei racing helmet on one of them.

You just never know when your number is up. The bicycles are a LOT less dangerous, mostly due to lower speeds.

DSC00045.jpg

My story is similar BikeOn - over a hundred thousand miles of road bikes, probly more than that off. About half the road miles on adventure bikes - about 55K over the last ten years. I'm 63.

I always wore black, or dark colors, a black helmet. I rode like they didn't even see me - I expected them not to. Hated neon green or orange, bright colors.

Not a single accident or lay down on road, not even a parking lot tip-over. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. Zero. LOL Last year I sold my last bike, a BMW R1200GS. Not a single one of my riding buddies escaped injury - a couple are in wheelchairs. All my injuries were riding dirtbikes, and there were plenty - even broke a Shoei racing helmet on one of them.

You just never know when your number is up. The bicycles are a LOT less dangerous, mostly due to lower speeds.

DSC00045.jpg
I think my brother in law had that same BMW. Now a Ducatti ? I think.

I ride a recumbent bike, so it is not as far to fall to the ground! But you still get the hurt when gravity kisses your butt, hands, and arms.

I added a e-kit to my bent, as I did not want to change bikes.

So I am just riding along the trail this spring under 10 mph, and all of sudden I am off the edge of the paved trail, and laying down on my left side on the paved trail. I was not paying attention....

So I survey the damage....ripped left hand glove, no hand injury. This is the second left hand glove with damage, the dog chewed on the other one. So I have two good right hand gloves, and two not so good left hand gloves!
Ripped arm warmer, a bit of a scrape on my forearm. Was wearing my newer set of arm warmers too.
Helmet did not hit the pavement.

Then I check the bike. The aluminum seat frame has some paint and metal scraped off...it took the brunt of the fall. The seat cords got cut by the frame, so the seat was sagging. Ok, tie it back together.
The bar con shifter plastic got scraped a bit. No other damage.

Good to go...finish the rest of the ride and then headed home.

I tell you...after a helmet, gloves are essential protection. I wear unpadded gloves, since I am on a bent. But I always ride with a helmet, with a mirror attached, and gloves.

I also have a flashing headlight for the daytime. I had one oncoming car honk at me, a loooong honk, to express his feelings towards my flashing light. It is super bright, and I know it is doing its job to alert drivers!

Bent Rider

One other piece of gear I forgot to mention....the AirZound air horn. It gets people to stop and look around to see what is coming down the trail.... people need time to process what is happening behind them.
Plus the horn is so loud, I can honk a few hundred feet before I reach them, to give them time to react.

If they have ear buds in, I honk a 2nd time as I get closer. But they usually just hold their line.

If there are pedestrians close to me, I use my bell instead, as the horn would startle them and they could be upset by the loud horn.

BTW, in dropping the bike, the only real issue is that the headlight on my Allant+7 stopped working. Not a scratch on it. I think the wiring may have gotten twisted. Taillight still works just fine.
Any thoughts on a fix?

I've been off the bike dozens of times, maybe 7 or 8 in the last 10 years. I'm 70. It doesn't hurt that much, due to my posture (Mary Poppins on the carrousel), low speed, short limbs. I did break my chin in 2008, rode off the pavement in the dark blinded by an oncoming car, slid sideways on the gravel. That didn't really hurt, but mouth wired shut for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's was highly annoying. Had tried to buy a helmet with a chin guard summer 2018; search engines could only find me closed sealed motorcycle helmets. Secret search term is "downhill mountain bike racing" helmet although I never raced, not even my Murray tricycle. I ride a Fox Rampage helmet now, not MPS or super impact resistant rating, but it is nicely ventilated and comfortable.
Last skin burn was in 1985, when my new MTB turned left as I was holding handle bar straight. (shop hadn't tightened headstock enough). Was wearing long sleeve poly/cotton dress shirt, not enough, took 8 stiches. Since have worn dickies or red hat long sleeve work shirts & long pants; they are thick enough at 25 mph (speed of 2018 accident) to protect me. I wear $1 cotton poly work gloves, mainly against sunburn, but saved my skin in 2018 too.
I wear walking shoes, since road failures may mean a 25 mile hike pushing a bike. Ever lost the balls out of a shimano rear axle? That was only 5 mile hike.
I've never hit the top, side, front, or back of my skull. I've hit my chin 5 times, needed stitches twice. Two MTB's dumped me over handlebar 3 times after hitting a bump, stick, pile of gravel, front tire whipped sideways, seat rose in the air & over I go. Mother's 1946 Firestone safety bike wouldn't do that, and had the same 26x2" tires. You are not allowed to buy custom trail forks anymore, even custom built frames come with the standard "quick response" trail fork. No fork options, no discussion, click beep beep beep. All exactly the same fork trails, except for the rake. I quit riding MTB's Jan 2018. The cargo bike shown left has more of my weight on the front tire, maybe it won't skid sideways if I hit a bump. Hasn't dumped yet in 2 1/2 years & 5000 miles.

Last edited:

DSC00045.jpg
Awesome Browneye. Love the picture!

I've been off the bike dozens of times, maybe 7 or 8 in the last 10 years. I'm 70. It doesn't hurt that much, due to my posture (Mary Poppins on the carrousel), low speed, short limbs. I did break my chin in 2008, rode off the pavement in the dark blinded by an oncoming car, slid sideways on the gravel. That didn't really hurt, but mouth wired shut for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's was highly annoying. Had tried to buy a helmet with a chin guard summer 2018; search engines could only find me closed sealed motorcycle helmets. Secret search term is "downhill mountain bike racing" helmet although I never raced, not even my Murray tricycle. I ride a Fox Rampage helmet now, not MPS or super impact resistant rating, but it is nicely ventilated and comfortable.
Last skin burn was in 1985, when my new MTB turned left as I was holding handle bar straight. (shop hadn't tightened headstock enough). Was wearing long sleeve poly/cotton dress shirt, not enough, took 8 stiches. Since have worn dickies or red hat long sleeve work shirts & long pants; they are thick enough at 25 mph (speed of 2018 accident) to protect me. I wear $1 cotton poly work gloves, mainly against sunburn, but saved my skin in 2018 too.
I wear walking shoes, since road failures may mean a 25 mile hike pushing a bike. Ever lost the balls out of a shimano rear axle? That was only 5 mile hike.
I've never hit the top, side, front, or back of my skull. I've hit my chin 5 times, needed stitches twice. Two MTB's dumped me over handlebar 3 times after hitting a bump, stick, pile of gravel, front tire whipped sideways, seat rose in the air & over I go. Mother's 1946 Firestone safety bike wouldn't do that, and had the same 26x2" tires. You are not allowed to buy custom trail forks anymore, even custom built frames come with the standard "quick response" trail fork. No fork options, no discussion, click beep beep beep. All exactly the same fork trails, except for the rake. I quit riding MTB's Jan 2018. The cargo bike shown left has more of my weight on the front tire, maybe it won't skid sideways if I hit a bump. Hasn't dumped yet in 2 1/2 years & 5000 miles.
Great info. Thanks for sharing it! Yeah holidays sounded like a bummer that year! I don’t think I’d be thrilled with walking back 5 miles! (ESP in this heat). Good tips tho and good details.

When I was 5 and learning to ride I remember always looking for a nice soft grassy spot when I wanted to stop. As a teenager I went down in some gravel doing about 30 mph. That peeled some skin off. I have learned how to ride in gravel since then, very gingerly. More recently I went down on my road bike a couple of times when I couldn't get my cleats released in time. At 6'3" it's a long ways down on a tall bike. I was more embarrased and worried about my bike than anyhthing. I feel pretty safe overall. I've learned how to survive in traffic. Never wore a helmet until recently. I like wearing full fingered gloves. Some times when I'm doing 37 MPH coming down a hill, with only a couple of square inches of rubber between me and the road, I think "What the #%#& am I doing! At 73 I don't fall well anymore and getting back up is difficult.

Worse crash on a bicycle was an over-the-handlebar-onto-fresh-hot-asphalt-on-a-+90-degree-day. I was maybe 11 yrs old and landed on the handlebars which had no grips. The sharp edge of the end penetrated my lower chest skin and struck the rIb. I still have that scar 50+ years later.😵

When I was about 6 or 7, I crashed when I was going too fast down a hill which T-ed at a crossroad and I didn't make the turn. Took the skin off my knee but good. I have never crashed since.

Scares me to read threads like this.

I'm still on a non ebike and have been in a couple of close accidents with pedestrians and other bikers... makes me wonder if on an ebike it may be harder to maintain control.

Back