Element Throttle & Grip Question

Dmac

Region
Canada
Hi everyone,

I just got the Pedego Element and ordered my usual Ergon grips to replace the very painful grips that come with the bike. To my dismay, I noticed that the right grip on the bike is integrated with the twist throttle. Does this mean that in order to replace the grips on the bike with the new ones I have, I’m going to have to go without a throttle or is there another work around/ replacement throttle Pedego offers? I appreciate your help as I don’t have a Pedego store near me & the store I bought my bike from has very limited hours.

Hi everyone,

I just got the Pedego Element and ordered my usual Ergon grips to replace the very painful grips that come with the bike. To my dismay, I noticed that the right grip on the bike is integrated with the twist throttle. Does this mean that in order to replace the grips on the bike with the new ones I have, I’m going to have to go without a throttle or is there another work around/ replacement throttle Pedego offers? I appreciate your help as I don’t have a Pedego store near me & the store I bought my bike from has very limited hours.
Ergon makes half grips for bikes with half grip gear/derailleur shifters like Sram/Rohloff/Nexus. They work with throttles.

Screenshot_20210914-070831_Chrome.jpg

Yes I got the ones that will work with throttles but my issue is that the Pedego grip is attached to the throttle on the right site. Remove the grip, remove the throttle. My hope is Pedego has another independent throttle that I can replace this one with so I can use my grips.

Yes I got the ones that will work with throttles but my issue is that the Pedego grip is attached to the throttle on the right site. Remove the grip, remove the throttle. My hope is Pedego has another independent throttle that I can replace this one with so I can use my grips.
Sorry, I didn't know Pedego had a proprietary throttle.

You can try this:
You may be able to use a half twist throttle from one of the other Pedego models.
Trace the wire leading from the throttle to the connector in the wiring harness. It should be located approximately here:

maxresdefault.jpg

Unscrew it and look at the pin configuration. If it has 3 pins and looks like this:

61R8CkVQ0UL._AC_SL1000a_.jpg

There is a good chance the half twist throttle from a Pedego Platinum Interceptor will work. The half twist will allow you to use the ergo grips mentioned by @J.R. above in post #2. If the grips you have aren't for a half twists throttle, they won't fit however.

Contact Pedego at 800-646-8604 and press 2 for tech support. They are excellent at helping customers. Ask if the above half twist throttle (or any other unit for that matter) will work on the Element. If so, it's an easy swap. Pedego will deal with you directly so you don't have to go through your dealer. I replaced my Platinum Interceptor throttle last year, it took about 5 minutes and it cost $15.

BTW, welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place to ask questions!

Good Luck !

Last edited:
You can try this:
You may be able to use a half twist throttle from one of the other Pedego models.
Trace the wire leading from the throttle to the connector in the wiring harness. It should be located approximately here:

View attachment 99958

Unscrew it and look at the pin configuration. If it has 3 pins and looks like this:

View attachment 99957

There is a good chance the half twist throttle from a Pedego Platinum Interceptor will work. The half twist will allow you to use the ergo grips mentioned by @J.R. above in post #2. If the grips you have aren't for a half twists throttle, they won't fit however.

Contact Pedego at 800-646-8604 and press 2 for tech support. They are excellent at helping customers. Ask if the above half twist throttle (or any other unit for that matter) will work on the Element. If so, it's an easy swap. Pedego will deal with you directly so you don't have to go through your dealer. I replaced my Platinum Interceptor throttle last year, it took about 5 minutes and it cost $15.

BTW, welcome to the forum! You've come to the right place to ask questions!

Good Luck !
Thanks for all that & yes I did get the shifter Ergon grips. I buy the shifter ones not the rohloff nexus ones because it's harder to find those and I like the extra room the shorter left hand grip gives me on the handlebars for my other junk. Just waiting for Pedego to open for the day so I can call them. I suspect you are right about the different throttle because when people upgrade these grips with the ones Pedego sells, they say things like "I needed to spend $20 on an upgraded throttle" so it must be possible!

Ok called Pedego support & they gave me the part number then called to get it shipped from Pedego Canada because the US couldn't ship to me. Canada never answers the phone when I call for support or sales so I called a store that I know is open and hour away from me. They have them in stock so I'll go up & get one later! Let's hope it's nothing weird where somehow the tech guy told me the wrong thing but he knew exactly what I was talking about as soon as I said "I want to replace the grips on my Pedego Element but the right grip...." so let's hope I get up to the shop & look at the throttle connector & it's yellow with the three pins (I've confirmed my current throttle looks like that). Fingers crossed it's correct AND I can get the current grips (the right is easy the left looks harder) off the bike.

Update for anyone that finds this thread in the future trying to solve the same problem....the part number is 52022 for the half twist throttle and it has the same connector just like 6zfshdb mentions in the thread above. If you're American I think it's a $20 part. If you're Canadian, it's a $50 part because that's how it goes in the Great White North. Still worth it to get my Ergon grips on. I have it all set up how I like it now (and blowing compressed air in the end of the grip the left side right off). Attached is a photo (forgive the messy garage in the background). Thanks for all the help especially from 6zfshdb who filled in the details....I was able to get help from this forum so fast that in 24 hours I had implemented the solution (even if I had to drive an hour each way to get the part).

Attachments

• IMG_9736.jpeg
    IMG_9736.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 325
Hello,
Got my Tesoro X1 Remixte bike: https://www.cannondale.com/en/bikes/electric/e-touring/tesoro-neo-x/tesoro-neo-x-1-remixte-smu and am converting it more into CRUISER like via altering my handlebar.. I've been successfully using on my other bike (https://www.rei.com/product/837480/novara-matador-29er-bike-2014) these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002I7PRUQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 , so I know this setup is super comfortable for me.. and am debiting on new grips for my extended bar ends... Need your opinion.. I'm debating say between these three types: #1: https://www.amazon.com/LERMX-Bicycle-Handlebar-Mountain-Downhill/dp/B08P87BF2D/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1O5MPGIRMM7Z1&keywords=Bike+Grips,+LERMX+Made+of+TPR+Rubber+Bicycle+Handlebar+Grips+Handle+Bar+End+Bike+Handle+bar+Rubber+End+Grips+for+MTB,+BMX,+Mountain,+Downhill,+Folding+Bike&qid=1645299707&s=sporting-goods&sprefix=bike+grips,+lermx+made+of+tpr+rubber+bicycle+handlebar+grips+handle+bar+end+bike+handle+bar+rubber+end+grips+for+mtb,+bmx,+mountain,+downhill,+folding+bike,sporting,90&sr=1-1 and #2: https://www.amazon.com/MARQUE-Bicycle-Handlebar-Grips-Bike/dp/B0966GWNV1/ref=sr_1_11?crid=1ZET28J0TSD9U&keywords=ergon+gc1+grips&qid=1645299911&sprefix=ergon+gc,aps,183&sr=8-11&th=1 or even #3: https://www.amazon.com/SAPLIZE-Handlebar-Grips-Ergonomic-Design/dp/B07RFN24Y2/ref=sr_1_18?crid=198HP1FU7HCP6&keywords=cannondale+handlebar+grips&qid=1645299994&sprefix=cannondale+handle+bar+grip,aps,94&sr=8-18 Thank you in advance!

Back