Electric Bikes and Insurance

2023 Edit; this list of best insurance updates every year.

Last edited:
My two cents here as I have some legal experience with 25 years of claims. I believe the solution is very simple. Have your insurance company insure your bike as a moped and that will cure any defenses that they have as to exclusion.

This way they can also apply your car insurance limits and add med pay.

I pay 400$ year for 7 figure coverage and agreed value of what I paid for bike last year Thru CincinnatI, a great insurer.

My two cents here as I have some legal experience with 25 years of claims. I believe the solution is very simple. Have your insurance company insure your bike as a moped and that will cure any defenses that they have as to exclusion.

I pay 400$ year for 7 figure coverage and agreed value of what I paid for bike last year Thru CincinnatI, a great insurer.
agreed I have my e-bikes covered this way,, only problem is in CA to get the coverage you have to register the bike with the DMV as a moped, one time $23 fee, but the insurance (state farm in my case) will not cover the bike if it is not properly registered with the state dmv.

both of my e-bikes are class-2 so technically they don't need to be registered according to DMV, however my local office was more than helpful in registering them after they figured out how.

Here in New Hampshire, it seems an ebike can't be registered as a moped because mopeds must have an automatic transmission! The law here is a mess right now, with conflicting definitions. Makes insurance by normal routes impossible.

Seems many states won't allow a person to register anything without a VIN number. I have heard that some state's DMV have a more creative workaround by using the stamped in serial number as a VIN.

Seems many states won't allow a person to register anything without a VIN number. I have heard that some state's DMV have a more creative workaround by using the stamped in serial number as a VIN.
Yeah CA has an e-bike law passed in 2017 that makes the serial number and motor serial number the requirement.

with 25 years of claims, you shouldnt be allowed to ride.... 😉

one thing I liked about veloinsurance is the roadside service. of course the one time I needed it I could not find the contact info. I could not afford both bikes on it right now so I got AAA it has bike pickup for 120 a year. great for the tandem.

Back