EBR made me do it!

Jeremy McCreary

Region
USA
City
Carlsbad, CA
At least that's what I told my wife. And just what did I do in your name?

Just ordered a Specialized Vado SL 5.0 EQ in yellow, my favorite bike color!

Screenshot_20240820_153915_Chrome.jpg

Many thanks to the many knowledgeable EBR members who shared their time and experience to get me to this point.

Why the SL 5 EQ? Just for something completely different, I wanted a fun, light, nimble, non-MTB flat-bar ebike as far removed from my 61 lb hub-drive commuter as possible. (The commuter will stay on as a utility bike.)

First thought was a 32 lb Creo 2 Comp, but realistically, the drop bars would have been a mistake with my stiff neck. And properly outfitting the bare Creo would have taken it from barely within budget to a life sentence in the doghouse.

That makes the 36 lb SL 5 EQ my best bet. Under the Specialized satisfaction guarantee (no restocking fees on new bikes), I'll have 30 days to give my 3 main reservations a thorough test:

1. Will 240W and 35 Nm be enough help on local hills, many above 10%? Probably, but making no assumptions at age 76.

2. Will I have to cough up another $485 for a range extender and cable?

3. Will the stiff, unsuspended alloy frame be too jarring — even with the stock FutureShock 1.5 stem and the added Redshift suspension seat post?

Taking delivery in 8 days. Putting the odds of keeping this beauty at 90%. Fingers and toes crossed.

Thanks again for all the help, guys! Thoughts on accessories and upgrades welcome.

Last edited:
At least that's what I told my wife. And just what did I do in your name?

I just ordered a Specialized Vado SL 5.0 EQ in yellow, my favorite bike color!

View attachment 180896

Many thanks to the many knowledgeable EBR members who shared their time and experience to get me to this point.

Why the SL 5 EQ? Just for something completely different, I wanted a fun, light, nimble, non-MTB flat-bar ebike as far removed my 61 lb hub-drive commuter as possible. (The commuter will stay on as a utility bike.)

First thought was a 32 lb Creo 2 Comp, but realistically, the drop bars would have been a mistake with my stiff neck. And properly outfitting the bare Creo would have taken it from barely within budget to a life sentence in the doghouse.

That makes the 36 lb SL 5 EQ my best bet. Under the Specialized satisfaction guarantee (no restocking fees on new bikes), I'll have 30 days to give my 3 main reservations a thorough test:

1. Will 240W and 35 Nm be enough help on local hills, many above 10%? Probably, but making no assumptions at age 76.

2. Will I have to cough up another $485 for a range extender and cable?

3. Will the stiff, unsuspended alloy frame be too jarring — even with the stock FutureShock 1.5 stem and the added Redshift suspension seat post?

Taking delivery in 8 days. Putting the odds of keeping this beauty at 90%. Fingers and toes crossed.

Thanks again for all the help, guys! Thoughts on accessories and upgrades welcome.
Nice! Enjoy...

Great choice! The EQ model will be so handy. I've come to dislike charging my standalone bike lights more than e-bikes.
I think you'll like the flat bar geometry a lot more than the drops. Love the high vis color too!
IIRC the Vado SL 5.0 comes tubeless ready? That'll give another nice boost to comfort.

Excellent choice, Jeremy! Hold off a bit on the RE, you might be surprised at how thrifty that motor can be. I have one for my Creo, hardly ever use it though I generally put it on the bike if a ride is going to be over 40 miles, which isn’t often anymore.

Great color, too. I met and chatted with a woman who was riding that bike last week who was on the last day of a solo trip across the Erie Canal route. Rode with her for a few minutes as she neared Albany and she appeared quite happy with the job it had done for her. I think it’s a great choice for touring.

EDIT: Oh, and I think you’ll be good with the gearing on that thing on your hills. I just changed my Creo to a climbing setup of 40:46, and you’re looking at 44:50. It will go up anything if you just slow down and let it spin a bit. Big difference to the 44:42 it originally sported.

Last edited:
Well Jeremy, you have gone over to the dark side. A mid-drive, how could you do it!
Seriously, though, if the gearing and fit is right for you, you'll love it.
Yeah, I know. Fought it off as long as I could. But when you keep thinking you should try a mid-drive someday at age 76, you have to question your sense of timing.

Ah, you know me too well. Lots of testing ahead, but already scheming about the gearing. @Rás Cnoic and several other SL owners in hilly areas went to smaller chainrings to excellent effect, saying that the SL motor seemed to like the higher cadences involved. I could easily end up there, too.

Great choice! The EQ model will be so handy. I've come to dislike charging my standalone bike lights more than e-bikes.
I think you'll like the flat bar geometry a lot more than the drops. Love the high vis color too!
IIRC the Vado SL 5.0 comes tubeless ready? That'll give another nice boost to comfort.
Thanks! The stock Nimbus tires aren't tubeless-ready. But if I keep the bike, I'll swap them for tubeless Pathfinders. The rims will have to be taped, but all that's in the budget.

Congrats! For the hilly terrain that you’ll encounter, perhaps an RE is an accessory you might consider but give it a few weeks before you decide to pony up for one. Enjoy your new SL and look forward to seeing more of it in the rides section. 😎
Agree, might not need the RE for routine riding. Dealer told me he got 38 mi on the SL without it, and that included a 1,500 ft climb up Double Peak with a final half-mile of 22%. I've done that climb.

Very encouraging, as my butt generally quits at 30 mi.

Last edited:
I'm no expert, but there may be a sidewall construction issue. Dealer said that's why Specialized won't put reflective stripes on its tubeless-ready tires.

Hmmm,..
I figure that means that a reflective won't stay stuck to the sidewall?

Flat-out goes on the inside where it floats around and finds all the leaks that a tubed tire would have.
It plugs big leaks and microscopic leaks in a breathing sidewall.

That's my take on it anyway,...
(I do a lot of speculative analysis. 😂)

Back