eBikes on RAGBRAI

Gus

I've been doing RAGBRAI (418 mile ride across Iowa, the worlds largest bicycle tour event) for several years and have seen very few eBikes in the past. I saw a Bionix kit on a recumbent last year but that was about it. I saw a ton of eBikes on it this year. I assume largely because of the longer battery ranges now available. I saw a black Specialized Turbo, an E-Motion, several Bionx kits, and a STROMER Sport! I saw the Stromer on a 69 mile day and he wasn't carrying any bags so I am assuming he didn't have a 2nd battery. It was funny because he was pulling a paceline with a bunch of non-eBike riders behind him taking advantage of the super charged eBike blocking the wind and going 20+ mph. Not sure how he managed to finish that day unless someone else was carrying a second battery or he charged the battery in the stop towns.

None the less, a Stromer has invaded RAGBRAI! I tried to catch up to talk to him but was I on my Surly LHT loaded down with bags and could not catch up to him because he was flying. It was awesome!

Back