Ebikes for apartment and condo dwellers

lenajc

Hi. I have been considering ebikes for a little while now but seem to run into a problem - too heavy for me to carry to my 2nd floor apartment. And yes I would need to put it in my apartment since there is no other secure option in the complex where I live. I currently have a regular (i.e. non-electric) city bike that weights around 33-35 pounds. I can carry that upstairs although it is a bit difficult. While I was renting an ebike on vacation, the Radpower Commuter, I tried carrying it upstairs and I absolutely could not do it, even with the walk assist feature. It is the weight combined with the size of the bikes that makes it difficult for me to lug it upstairs. Do any of you apartment or condo dwellers (particularly the women) have a bike recommendation? Would a folding bike be easier because it's more compact? FYI - the ebike I am looking for would be for commuting roughly 15 miles each day to and from work. Thank you.

Lower priced folders tend to be heavier. But some of the premium brands are quite durable and light. A battery and motor easily add nearly 20 LBS. What's the mileage for 15 minutes?

An exhausting list but I use page search and look for weight. I highly recommend looking for a local dealer.
Next, development a battery management plan. Charge in a surplus ammo can with a smoke sensor. Absolutely safe if attention given to safely charging in an apartment.

If you're in fairly good shape and just need some assistance and not a scooter-type level of assist take a look at something like the Orbea Gains. They're not cheap, but they're real bikes with real components and weigh much less than the typical ebikes reviewed on this site. If you can get a regular bike up to your apartment these will be just as easy to get up, and the flat bar versions also have a walk mode if you need some help.

Interesting bikes. Any USA dealers or is the OP in Canada or the UK? OOPS EU site didn't show USA.

How is the battery integrated? Cased and able to use aftermarket builds?

Last edited:
We're selling our house next year and going to rent a senior apartment. I'd not be happy with an integrated battery and charging with no protective case. But I'm a very cautious one. Always looking to mitigate risks. While failures may be low, I don't want to be that small percentage. Someone will be...

@lenajc If I wanted a light weight, electric, commuter friendly, bike that I needed to carry up and down a flight of stairs everyday I would be seriously looking at a light weight, quality folder and install a Onemotor. There are a few reviews here on this website and although it's not all rosey, it does sound like a nice bit of kit... and welcome to the site and the world of ebikes!

@Thomas Jaszewski, op says they are in Austin, TX

As I think you will have difficulty finding a light enough bike to fit your needs, may I suggest you consider something like the following. It adds only 6.6 lbs to your existing bike, does not cost that much ~$900 and may fit your other needs.

Lenajc,
I'm in a similar position, needing to lift an ebike. And yes, they can be quite a beast to wrestle up a stairs. I see many, many ebikes that weigh in mid 50 lbs and higher.

Although I am not familiar with the weights many of the hybrid/city type ebikes, a couple brands come to mind. Trek offers hybrid bike in the low 40 lbs range, the Verve and the 2020 Allant.

Also, this Spring I rode a Cannondale Quick Neo. They quoted the weight at 39 lbs and I found the bike to be quick and nimble. I'm around 5'5 with somewhat short inseam, so unfortunately the smallest frame was a slightly to big for my needs. It was listed as around $3500 so not sure if it fits in your budget range.

Looking forward to see what you find.

Last edited:
What's the budget? I know a great bike mechanic in Austin.
Are you asking what is my budget to convert my existing bike to an ebike? I'm not sure. I'm more familiar with the cost of purchasing a new ebike than converting an existing one. But who is the mechanic? I'd be willing to give him or her a call sometime to discuss.

Thank you everyone for your responses. It sounds like most of you are suggesting converting my existing bike than purchasing a new one, so I may look into that. Besides, when shopping for a bike I also have the added challenge of being a short lady (5'3") so that makes bike shopping fun :(. Which is why I usually go for a step-through or mid step option.

Be aware that a step through frame is inherently weaker than a diamond frame. As such it needs to be made of heavier tubing to not be squirrely and be durable.

Be aware that a step through frame is inherently weaker than a diamond frame. As such it needs to be made of heavier tubing to not be squirrely and be durable.
Good land Alaskan, I doubt a petite 5'3" woman will over stress a step through. Every one of my step through frames, Schwinn, KHS, and Marin have zero flex issues. As a matter of fact every build I've done with ST frames have not had a flex issue. FWIW:)

Are you asking what is my budget to convert my existing bike to an ebike? I'm not sure. I'm more familiar with the cost of purchasing a new ebike than converting an existing one. But who is the mechanic? I'd be willing to give him or her a call sometime to discuss.
I'M NOT SUGGESTING A KIT.
Your 35lb bike will become a 50-55lb bike with a kit.

Your overall budget... It's helpful in making a recommendation. Kit building isn't for the average rider and has it's own set of issues.

What is the length, in miles, of your commute? We can help sort your battery needs.
Hills? It's important to decide what sort of motor will best suit your needs.
Kits? ONLY if you have a solid dealer with experience. One that's been doing it awhile. OR a friend with significant experience building.

How much weight do you think you can realistically lift?

Inappropriate behavior

Your overall budget... It's helpful in making a recommendation. Kit building isn't for the average rider and has it's own set of issues.

What is the length, in miles, of your commute? We can help sort your battery needs.
Kits? ONLY if you have a solid dealer with experience. One that's been doing it awhile. OR a friend with significant experience building.

A 35 lb bike with a 6.6 lb, as the kit under consideration weights, will be 42 lbs.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been riding step through cruiser & MTB as my weight decreased from 213 to 160. NO FRACTURES. No squirrels except the one with a death wish I ran over. 90's Huffy Savannah, 200x Diamondback, 201x Pacific Quantum. US tort law inhibits vendors from selling **** welds in the US.

Firstly, the OP didn’t post considering a friction drive. It was suggested by another helpful member.
$1300 for a market limited specialty drive, with all of 130Wh, isn’t a great choice.
There a very good reason friction drives haven’t taken a market share. They are expensive and problematic for tire wear. My first friction drive was 50 years ago, a Valmet powered Motobecane. My last one a recent kit. Without local support or mechanical skills, and risking $1300 on a new company, may be asking for an expensive mistake.

Am I wrong to think that if you buy a decent size small, carbon frame commuter bike, then pull off the battery and front wheel, you're left with about 32lbs?

I would think there should be lots of options if your willing to go thru the daily chore of bringing your bike up and down the stairs in pieces?

I break mine down into pieces daily because hefting 50lbs into my car is just too difficult. After I pull out the battery, seatpost and front tire, carrying it by the frame isn't so bad.

So my commute length would be around 15-20 miles per day (about 7 mi miles each way to work, plus maybe running some errands). Regarding hills, it's downhill going to work and uphill going to work. I think the overall elevation change is 300 feet, per Google Maps, each way. And there is at least 2 hills I can think of that are pretty steep (where I would normally dismount). How much weight can I lift? Hmmm, it's hard to tell. As I mentioned I can lift my 35 lb bike upstairs although it feels awkward because of the size. That is almost why I was thinking about a folding bike which would be more compact and therefore maybe easier to lift? So if it were a regular bike, maybe 40 pounds. If a folding bike, maybe 45-50 pounds. I should go to a gym and try lifting a kettle bell at those weights.

Finally regarding budget, I think I would like to stay around $2,000 but I would willing to go up. Maybe not more than $3,000.

Back