Ebikes aren't cheap; Cheaper than monthly Rx's and Gym Membership

Ebikefevercure

I had a heart attack blockage that needed a stent placed in an artery at 33yo. I am now 37yo. I was down to 30% heart function and needed to get above 35% or I would also receive a pacemaker. After paying $150/monthly for Rx's, repeat doctor visits, running my tail off, and feeling weird for 2 years, I stopped all Rx's and bought an Ebike. Despite the warnings, I have had Zero episodes and have recovered back to (tested) 45% heart efficiency. I feel better than ever with a happier life. Occasionally, I take an Aspirin tab for good measure and that's it...

If anyone is trying to justify the cost of an Ebike for health reasons, I highly recommend you weigh the alternatives; surgery, hundreds of shots to the stomach with bruising, recovery and meds, then more meds, rehab and testing forever... I'm living it right now...

A friend's 65yo father had been for a ride where he couldn't get help on the trail 1 mile in the woods and passed away. I will race my ebike to a local intersection using my illegal throttle if I feel an episode appproaching. There are small signs, usually. This experience resinated too well with my circumstances.

Although, this post seems to have gotten dark that was not my intention. I am merely expressing that the trepidations of purchasing an ebike were immediately removed after further evaluation. My cardialogist is impressed that I refused the Rx and still have improvements.

So, the deeper question residing here is:

Are chemicals (Rx's) worth the money and physically comsumption for any more time than ABSOLUTELY necessary, IF a small lifestyle change can redirect our fates, especially before and/or after a serious health event?

The bike is the logical investment for my case but, only after I had used the heart meds and statins until I didn't need to.
{Disclaimer: Do not cut your meds unless you are healthy enough and/or your doctor agrees with your plan. I don't want anyone dying early because I said to stop your meds.}

Today, I vehemently believe an Ebike was the best decision I've made for my health, and essentially my monthly budget. Life is better with an Ebike for MANY reasons. The monetary sacrific was nothing in comparison. I'm alive without the chems as well. My 1st bike was a Rad Rover, and my 2nd is the Voltbike Enduro with a bunch of upgraded components on order this moment. I could have purchased both with the money I have given away to medical bills.

Thanks for humoring me if you read this! You will not regret buying one for yourself. Start with a budget friendly bike that fits your intended purposes and go from there. Affirm did a monthly plan for 0% interest and I paid it off early, just saying it's easier than you may think and worth the life-changing investment...

Last edited:
I had a heart attack blockage that needed a stent placed in an artery at 33yo. I am now 37yo. I was down to 30% heart function and needed to get above 35% or I would also receive a pacemaker. After paying $150/monthly for Rx's, repeat doctor visits, running my tail off, and feeling weird for 2 years, I stopped all Rx's and bought an Ebike. Despite the warnings, I have had Zero episodes and have recovered back to (tested) 45% heart efficiency. I feel better than ever with a happier life. Occasionally, I take an Aspirin tab for good measure and that's it...

If anyone is trying to justify the cost of an Ebike for health reasons, I highly recommend you weigh the alternatives; surgery, hundreds of shots to the stomach with bruising, recovery and meds, then more meds, rehab and testing forever... I'm living it right now...

A friend's 65yo father had been for a ride where he couldn't get help on the trail 1 mile in the woods and passed away. I will race my ebike to a local intersection using my illegal throttle if I feel an episode appproaching. There are small signs, usually. This experience resinated too well with my circumstances.

Although, this post seems to have gotten dark that was not my intention. I am merely expressing that the trepidations of purchasing an ebike were immediately removed after further evaluation. My cardialogist is impressed that I refused the Rx and still have improvements.

Are chemicals (Rx's) worth the money and physically comsumption for any more time than ABSOLUTELY necessary, IF a small lifestyle change can redirect our fates, especially before and/or after a serious health event?

The bike is the logical investment for my case but, only after I had used the heart meds and statins until I didn't need to.
{Disclaimer: Do not cut your meds unless you are healthy enough and/or your doctor agrees with your plan. I don't want anyone dying early because I said to stop your meds.}

Today, I vehemently believe an Ebike was the best decision I've made for my health, and essentially my monthly budget. Life is better with an Ebike for MANY reasons. The monetary sacrific was nothing in comparison. I'm alive without the chems as well. My 1st bike was a Rad Rover, and my 2nd is the Voltbike Enduro with a bunch of upgraded components on order this moment.

Thanks for humoring me if you read this! You will not regret buying one for yourself. Start with a budget friendly bike that fits your intended purposes and go from there. Affirm did a monthly plan for 0% interest and I paid it off early, just saying it's easier than you may think and worth the life-changing investment...
God bless you, and good for you!

The only time I use meds is after a visit to the dentist - and I ain't giving them up.
Otherwise my heart is my strongest asset next to my hard head. Thank goodness for both because I don't know what a doctor is. Never had one, probably never will.
I see you are 37yo. I am 72yo. I hope you can say proudly some day that you have reached 73yo, and probably will if you keep running and riding bikes. I think you are on the right track.
I have had high blood pressure all my life, still do, and don't suffer any consequences from it like all the propaganda that says I should be dead.
So even though I'm never sick I do get a lot of stupid little injuries from running and riding bikes. Don't need a doctor for sprains and pulled ligaments to heal. Just the desire to get back out there and be doin' it again.
I'm also really jazzed about the Voltbike Enduro. Court did one of his best reviews on it, but can't figure why the bike isn't more popular. Hope you do a review on it some day.

I will gladly Update the recent changes since Court's video. I've watched it a few times now, jumping to different parts so I could see the bike components. I'm sure I'm not alone on that. The forum has helped a lot while I wait for the delivery... I spoke with the owner Friday and he said they have better tires and a throttle added to the latest Enduro versions. Mine ships Monday... I've already ordered a DPC-18 and the 203mm brake adaptors with rotors for it. I happened to win an Ebay bid for a pair of Maxxis Pace tires at $18.50 total so, I'm overstocked on rubber if the OEMs tires are decent XCs. I couldn't understand his accent when he said Kenda "krate"(?), that's what it sounded like but, I can't find those online to look at. I already asked twice and felt rude to ask again lol...

Banzai- Exersize is the best medicine. Thanks for the support! Here's to 73!!!

Last edited:
My sister who has had 3 hip replacements and does not exercise and gains weight, thinks spending $1500 on my wife's (who has MS) Liberty Trike was a waste of money. Yet she will spend $500 on dinner for 6 people. Her husband tried to convince her to buy the trike because of her inability (lack of will power) to walk regularly. Oh well, to each his own.

Hope you are still doing well, mister ebfc!

I take avorstatin and zetia for high cholesterol, and a beta blocker. Been doing that for like 10-15 years and will be 70 soon. Blood pressure is low. maybe too low, as I sometimes get dizzy when I bend over to set a golf tee. Then I fire the ball into the woods. LOL. I've lost over 20 pounds since I got back into riding bikes. Be nice to lose 10 more. Health benefits of a steady ride on a bike can't be overstated. It's an hour or more of exercise that pass quickly and is fun, at least for me. We ride a little faster than the other casual bikers, around 12-14 mph on the lowest assist levels. Get passed by hard core bikers. It's still work for us. I usually need a shower afterwards.

My wife could not ride very far w/o the pedal assist on her ebikes. She did 32 miles last May in a city ride-a-round. We unloaded our car next to a van full of roadies and all of us came back at the same time.

Last edited:
Thank you, I'm doing better than ever!

Aren't ebike the funnest way to exercise? I'm distracted with adventure. There just isn't enough good things to say what an ebike can do for health restoration at any age. I have not heard a sad story from anyone who is restoring their fitness or just trying something new. I'm getting my folks into this so, they will stick around longer and enjoy the later life in leisure too.
I now have 2 Ebikes and my 64yo father has been riding on the weekends and when we can together. We get 27+ miles each ride with our new trail they connected. Just eat 30 minutes before, bring drinks and let your bottom cool off every so often. We are having the best time hanging out and getting fit.

My sister who has had 3 hip replacements and does not exercise and gains weight, thinks spending $1500 on my wife's (who has MS) Liberty Trike was a waste of money. Yet she will spend $500 on dinner for 6 people. Her husband tried to convince her to buy the trike because of her inability (lack of will power) to walk regularly. Oh well, to each his own.

Stubborn people crack me up. I feel, they simply don't know what they are missing. A friend gave me a hard time until he rode 15m on my Rover last week... Now he is researching to buying an Ebike this week.

I came for the fun and stayed for the exercise. Riding my ebike to work only takes a few minutes more than driving my car, so I magically get two, thirty minute workouts a day while giving up very little of my leisure time.
And money. My ebike will pay for itself easily in a couple of years of tolls, gas, wear and tear on the car.
Luckily I commute before the rush hour, and live ten miles from work, so it's breeze for me. Even if commuting isn't a good fit for you, the fun factor is great enticement to get in a morning or evening ride. When your friends laugh and ask, "You don't really get a workout on that thing, do you?", just show them your fitbit data. I get cardio level exercise on mine.

Last edited:
After pedalling to work on my Trek FX for nearly 3 years, it was starting to get old. I commute by bike because we're a one-car family and my wife needs it as she is the caregiver for her parents. That leaves me with the option of taking 3 buses to get from the front door of my house to the front of my office building and it's $70 for a monthly bus pass. I decided to take that same $70 and pay my savings account back over time for my newly purchased RadRover.

Bike commuting is my only exercise, so there was some concern that my workout effort would be reduced with an ebike. However, I can attest that after my first ride this morning that the workout is almost the same. With the RadRover, you need a PAS of 1 just to compensate for the weight of the bike and PAS 2 gives you just enough assistance to get that smile going. I try to leave it at 1 or 2 and use my gears on the flats and engage PAS 3 for the lower grade hills that I never liked. I'm still having to expel energy to keep the heavy RadRover moving, but the ride itself is so much nicer, and I love the throttle for getting started from a dead stop. This ebike is what I needed to get excited about bike commuting again and not throw in the towel.

I take only blood pressure medication, because without out it my blood pressure tends to be higher than it should be. At 64 my weight is ten pounds more than it should be. My brother (he was an RN) died of sudden cardiac death at 63, as did also his physician g'father at 56. Both were smokers. Both chose lives of high stress.

Perhaps the best life extension plan is to avoid stress, to chill, to be self-determinative, as the OP is, to live knowing that you are going to live onwardly in your children and in your other loved ones.

Last edited:
Stubborn people crack me up. I feel, they simply don't know what they are missing. A friend gave me a hard time until he rode 15m on my Rover last week... Now he is researching to buying an Ebike this week.
I work in chronic disease prevention mainly centered around lifestyle change and my relatively limited experience in this profession has shown me that people just don't remember what it feels like to feel better. As we stray off the straight and narrow, in terms of health and vitality, for all intensive purposes we forget what it was like to feel better. And there's no way to really have someone feel and understand this unless they themselves are willing to put in the work (risk/discomfort) to get to a place where they might feel better. Hopefully they remember a time where they did feel better, but even then, our general reference point for how we can/could feel stays largely in the present moment.

I feel exercise (among other things [nutrition/sleep]) is paramount for a healthy mind, body, and overall health. *In comes the e-bike to the scene*, and WOW, as a 34 year old who is in pretty good shape and owns 3 other bicycles, these things are nothing short of amazing! I am really happy to hear the e-bike has transformed your life. It's stories like these that reinforce my motivation to help people and my absolute love for everything bicycle. Once people are able to increase their energy/mood from regular physical activity, it opens all sorts of doors to do things that you never really consider anymore because you were essentially suppressed by your lack of health/vitality. Life changing!

Plus, to me, especially as a vehicle replacement, an e-bike is CHEAP. When you factor in a car note, insurance, gas, tolls, oil changes, and annual repairs, these bikes pay for themselves in less than 6 months or even less depending on your commute and the e-bike model you opt for. I am building a bicycle altar as we speak ;)

Today, I vehemently believe an Ebike was the best decision I've made for my health, and essentially my monthly budget. Life is better with an Ebike for MANY reasons. The monetary sacrific was nothing in comparison. I'm alive without the chems as well. My 1st bike was a Rad Rover, and my 2nd is the Voltbike Enduro with a bunch of upgraded components on order this moment. I could have purchased both with the money I have given away to medical bills.

I notice that among my mixed bike biking group, of which I have the only ebike, no matter the sophistication or price of the bikes new, they all have performance problems going uphill or grades, while I dont.

I dont sympathize or gloat, because its a choice based on recreation, while my ebike is more utilitarian with recreational rides secondary. I have a saddle bag while they dont have a rack for one.

Moral of the story is, a bike is mental thing first and physical second. If the mental need isnt working, the physical need for an ebike takes over just to keep you on two wheels. Its a tongue in cheek option in my case and makes all the common sense in the world, even though it cant be registered or licensed.

I work in chronic disease prevention mainly centered around lifestyle change and my relatively limited experience in this profession has shown me that people just don't remember what it feels like to feel better. As we stray off the straight and narrow, in terms of health and vitality, for all intensive purposes we forget what it was like to feel better.;)
I feel great. I'm 68 with HPB and diabetes. Both under control with meds. The Army taught me how to run, and ruined my knees, but I never gave up after reading Dr Cooper's Aerobics about 1972. Incredible 105 year old men are either Japanese farmers who can never retire, or Italian island dwellers that walk up & down the mountain to the grocery store and post office every day.
My Dad sat down when he retired, hired a maid to vacuum and a yard man to push the mower. He had a stroke in two years and couldn't make sense of his reading after that.
I find bike riding makes my Army damaged (no cartledge) knees feel better! Likewise, piano playing keeps my arthritic hands from locking up, and reduces pain when I practice regularly.
I went electric after a 5.7 hour 25 mile ride into a 28 mph wind last September. I don't need THAT much aerobic exercise. No wind, I pedal up to 26 miles unpowered. I do have a throttle, in case I strain a tendon or muscle, which does happen occasionally. I carry a $8/mo cellphone for problems requiring an ambulance. there is service everywhere I go.
BTW, aerobic exercise is negatively correlated with dementia. I had two grandparents with it, but the grandmother didn't show symptoms until she quit her daily walk up the hollow, and started accepting rides to church up the hill. The 85 yo lady down the street died a year after her granddaughter made her start taking rides to the grocery store. Heirs will have to sic the law on me to make me start riding everywhere in cars.
But as for cost, I don't even keep a car anymore. I do everything on the bike, or rent a U-haul if I need to move something.

I feel great. I'm 68 with HPB and diabetes. Both under control with meds. The Army taught me how to run, and ruined my knees, but I never gave up after reading Dr Cooper's Aerobics about 1972. Incredible 105 year old men are either Japanese farmers who can never retire, or Italian island dwellers that walk up & down the mountain to the grocery store and post office every day.
My Dad sat down when he retired, hired a maid to vacuum and a yard man to push the mower. He had a stroke in two years and couldn't make sense of his reading after that.
I find bike riding makes my Army damaged (no cartledge) knees feel better! Likewise, piano playing keeps my arthritic hands from locking up, and reduces pain when I practice regularly.
I went electric after a 5.7 hour 25 mile ride into a 28 mph wind last September. I don't need THAT much aerobic exercise. No wind, I pedal up to 26 miles unpowered. I do have a throttle, in case I strain a tendon or muscle, which does happen occasionally. I carry a $8/mo cellphone for problems requiring an ambulance. there is service everywhere I go.
BTW, aerobic exercise is negatively correlated with dementia. I had two grandparents with it, but the grandmother didn't show symptoms until she quit her daily walk up the hollow, and started accepting rides to church up the hill. The 85 yo lady down the street died a year after her granddaughter made her start taking rides to the grocery store. Heirs will have to sic the law on me to make me start riding everywhere in cars.
But as for cost, I don't even keep a car anymore. I do everything on the bike, or rent a U-haul if I need to move something.

I ride in a group Saturday mornings, some days during the week and stationery bike and leg machines almost everyday at 24Hr Fitness, no senior health issues.

I think people with heart issues have to know their fallibility to know how far to venture from home or people who can help. Or subscribe to an emergency help line with a GPS/voice alert button service who can dispatch an ambulance.

Back