Ebike under 1500$

vinay

Buying 1st time mainly for recreational purpose. Gone through all ebike discussions and based on my budget (< 1500$) and current availability status, I did finalized between ride1up 500 and izip e3 edge step.
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Could you please help in deciding or suggest any better model. I am also fine with demo models.

If you can go $200 over your budget, take a look at the BD Shimano E5000 mid drive with hydraulic brakes.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products...es/ebikes-electric-bikes-elite-eadventure.htm

1589585347403.png

I suggest going with a $900 Lectric XP as a starter bike, then sell it easily for near what you paid and get a bike based on improving upon your newfound experience and expectations.

I suggest going with a $900 Lectric XP as a starter bike, then sell it easily for near what you paid and get a bike based on improving upon your newfound experience and expectations.

My initial plan was same but I read in multiple forum not to go for cheaper model as it cost a lot for maintenance.

My initial plan was same but I read in multiple forum not to go for cheaper model as it cost a lot for maintenance.
Thats odd, as my xp has very minimal maintenance, but I can see where thrashing the bike and being oblivious to careing about the machine can result in accelerated maintenance and repairs. Really depends on how you treat the bike. I suppose the more money one spends on the bike, the more care one gives it. If it is cheap, why bother as there's no pride in it. Lectric xp is a well made bike with good fittings, not super excellent, but they get the job done, and keep working.

Thats odd, as my xp has very minimal maintenance, but I can see where thrashing the bike and being oblivious to careing about the machine can result in accelerated maintenance and repairs. Really depends on how you treat the bike. I suppose the more money one spends on the bike, the more care one gives it. If it is cheap, why bother as there's no pride in it. Lectric xp is a well made bike with good fittings, not super excellent, but they get the job done, and keep working.
Thanks for info and I will be mainly using it for commute within city. I am 6 ft and 240 pounds. Will I able to fit ?

Thanks for info and I will be mainly using it for commute within city. I am 6 ft and 240 pounds. Will I able to fit ?
Im 5'11" and 185lbs. and fit ok. Was worried about fitment before buying, but that issue evaporated when I mounted the bike. I did fiddle with bar height and angle, plus seat adjustmemts till I got it right for my comfort. Suggest you go to a dealer and try the fit of similar bikes first. My riding is not commuting, but as auxillay transportation with an RV, so a folding bike was an important factor, although my first choice ia a full size rigid frame but simply too large for internal storage, so I had to compromise.
There are so many ebikes to select from, and new ones appear all the time. A choice can be complicated and frustrating.
Make your list of requirements and stick to them when searching.

Im 5'11" and 185lbs. and fit ok. Was worried about fitment before buying, but that issue evaporated when I mounted the bike. I did fiddle with bar height and angle, plus seat adjustmemts till I got it right for my comfort. Suggest you go to a dealer and try the fit of similar bikes first. My riding is not commuting, but as auxillay transportation with an RV, so a folding bike was an important factor, although my first choice ia a full size rigid frame but simply too large for internal storage, so I had to compromise.
There are so many ebikes to select from, and new ones appear all the time. A choice can be complicated and frustrating.
Make your list of requirements and stick to them when searching.
Sure. I will give a try ..will visit my local dealer shop and test drive. Thanks a lot

Hello , I end up buying a very less used (50 miles) 2018 surface rook with 14ah battery for 1k. My wife liked it a lot so went for it. I saw a very good review on ebr so got it today.

Hello, I end up buying a very less used (50 miles) 2018 surface rook with 14ah battery for 1k.

My wife liked it a lot so went for it. I saw a very good review on ebr so got it today.

Congratulations on your new ride... sounds like you got a great deal.

1589944936589.png

Thank you. Already added 50 miles yesterday :) . Still figuring how to install existing baby seat as this bike have fixed rack.

Thank you. Already added 50 miles yesterday :) . Still figuring how to install existing baby seat as this bike have fixed rack.

I had a child seat when mine were young... be sure to protect their feet from the spokes. Don't ask me how I know?! ;)

Last edited:
There are many different types of bikes to choose from. You have to determine just what your needs and desires of the bike, ie: do you need to ride upright, body forward, wide tire, road, where are you going to be riding, how much power do you require, how much distance do you need out of a charge, step over, step thru, what class, folding bike? You also need to determine what accessories are important to you. These are just some of what you have to ask yourself before buying any bike, and don’t forget the accessories increase the price, the quality of the components is extremely important . I would first advise you to visit a bike shop and ask as many questions you have and read this EBR. There is so much available information here. Good luck in your search.

There are many different types of bikes to choose from. You have to determine just what your needs and desires of the bike, ie: do you need to ride upright, body forward, wide tire, road, where are you going to be riding, how much power do you require, how much distance do you need out of a charge, step over, step thru, what class, folding bike? You also need to determine what accessories are important to you. These are just some of what you have to ask yourself before buying any bike, and don’t forget the accessories increase the price, the quality of the components is extremely important . I would first advise you to visit a bike shop and ask as many questions you have and read this EBR. There is so much available information here. Good luck in your search.

See below from the OP... ;)

Hello , I end up buying a very less used (50 miles) 2018 surface rook with 14ah battery for 1k. My wife liked it a lot so went for it. I saw a very good review on ebr so got it today.

Back