Ebike Seats

Katzenjammer

Region
USA
Being new to eBikes, is there some reason the seats tend toward large and soft? I've been a bike rider for many years and it seems all my seats have been a lot more streamlined. Is it the older demographic or maybe just that weight doesn't matter very much?

Being new to eBikes, is there some reason the seats tend toward large and soft? I've been a bike rider for many years and it seems all my seats have been a lot more streamlined. Is it the older demographic or maybe just that weight doesn't matter very much?
Probably. Most folks are changing their seat soon after they buy their bike.

Its the demographic and the fact these are oftentimes people new to cycling. Its not about weight so much as it is a sore bum. And unfortunately people often make the wrong choice, going for the Grandma's-sofa approach versus figuring out what makes a good saddle. If they aren't pedaling and just throttling, this affects the decision as well.

i suspect it depends upon what you are looking at for ebikes. i’ve seen ebikes ranging from casual cruisers to emtb to cargo models and touring hybrids and they all have different intentions and tend to have different versions of seats and accessories…. i’d disagree that all ebikes are built for large and soft seats.

that being said, it seems “real” bikers are less interested in most models/varieties of ebikes and ebikes seem to attract an older crowd (perhaps with more disposable income)…

mindset of ebikers can be different as well, it’s not about pure human performance for most, it’s about comfortable efficiency and for some that may translate to more comfortable seating options as judged by the rider and not some predetermination of what an ebike seat should be. i’d say seat replacement/upgrade is among the top “improvements” a new owner makes, i did that with old mountain and drop bar bikes in my youth and ebikes today.

lastly, when pricing and components converge, i think seat selection is an area where a lot of bike companies can and do take shortcuts….

Some reason? Most new eBike riders are in their late 60s and haven't been on a bicycle since they were teenagers. I've seen people buy seats as big as a Laxy-Boy and I just shake my head.

one thing is for sure. despite having common interests in ebiking generally speaking, there’s no lack of shaming or judging every single choice a consumer makes with regard to ebikes. seats tires app battery brand use chains components and on and on. 🤣

I see so many of these anymore
ie61ew2n22b71.jpg

a lot of it is most bikes sold are single size and upright. As others have said people are not using to ride and expect the seat to be comfortable right away.

I use my ebike to commute to work. I like the big seat. I’m 44. I’m not loading my rides to Strava or trying to race anyone. I do like a comfortable ride.
I got a cloud9 seat for my wife’s ebike, she is younger than me, but she also uses her ebike to commute. It’s very cushy.

Back