EBIKE RANGE CALCULATOR (UPDATED)

Solarcabin

Region
USA

EBIKE RANGE CALCULATOR (UPDATED)​

INTRODUCTION​

One of the most common questions we get is how to calculate the geographic range of an electric bike. In essence, how far will an ebike go before it runs out of battery power.

If you’re in a rush and just want to use the calculator, scroll to the bottom of this page. You just need to input the Voltage (V) and Amp-Hour (Ah) rating of the battery on the ebike you are reviewing, and the average range in miles will be the output.
However, if you want to know what goes into calculating the potential range of an electric bike, keep reading.

Thought this might help as I see quite a few people asking about range of ebikes.

The calculation is pretty simple to remember:

Battery Volts x Amp Hours = Watt Hours

On average, it's been estimated that the average ebike battery will yield one (1) mile of travel for every 20 Wh of energy.

So if your average speed will be 20 miles per hour you will be using approximately 20 Wh of energy. The more you peddle the less the Wh the ebike has to produce to maintain that speed.

Watt Hours of Battery / Energy Use = Approximate Miles in range.

Example:

48 volts x 20 Ah = 960 Wh
960 Wh / 20 Wh = 48 miles in range approximately.

Approximate range in miles for typical 175-lb rider, using Pedal Assist Level (PAS) 1, on dry, flat, and paved roads, with tires properly inflated and no headwinds. Results may vary.

ADDED:
This is just a quick calculator to get an approximate range if you are looking at a bike to buy.

The numbers the bike dealer gives are generally under best lab conditions and not realistic.

This will give you a more accurate range.

If you dispute the calculations please show your own calculations using the rider in the example:

"Approximate range in miles for typical 175-lb rider, using Pedal Assist Level (PAS) 1, on dry, flat, and paved roads, with tires properly inflated and no headwinds. Results may vary."

Show your work, lol!

Last edited:
Ultimately it is up to the individual to conclude what their average wh/mi use is based on their e system, terrain and riding style. This can be attained after only several rides. Generalized knowledge such as above is fine to get that figure but it can vary widely from user to user. There is no shame if you have a low number or a higher one btw.

Ultimately it is up to the individual to conclude what their average wh/mi use is based on their e system, terrain and riding style. This can be attained after only several rides. Generalized knowledge such as above is fine to get that figure but it can vary widely from user to user. There is no shame if you have a low number or a higher one btw.
I agree, this is just a way to get an approximate range if you are looking at a bike to buy.

The numbers the bike dealer gives are generally under best lab conditions and not realistic.

This will give you a more accurate range.

I would add that most of us will totally suck when it comes to battery mileage during the first few months when riding our first e-bikes. Getting advertised mileage (or something close to it) is much more difficult than it looks. Consider your speed, the surface you're on, surface conditions (including wind and hills for instance), and then, using that information, select your proper gear and PAS level. It's going to take you a few hundred miles to get to the point you can make consistently good mileage without that being your primary focus. To the point you can sit back and just enjoy the ride.

And I'll give you a big hint. If you think you are going to do well at 20mph, you aren't. Wind resistance turns into a large factor at speeds over about 14-15mph, and get worse from there. ;)

I would add that most of us will totally suck when it comes to battery mileage during the first few months when riding our first e-bikes. Getting advertised mileage (or something close to it) is much more difficult than it looks. Consider your speed, the surface you're on, surface conditions (including wind and hills for instance), and then, using that information, select your proper gear and PAS level. It's going to take you a few hundred miles to get to the point you can make consistently good mileage without that being your primary focus. To the point you can sit back and just enjoy the ride.

And I'll give you a big hint. If you think you are going to do well at 20mph, you aren't. Wind resistance turns into a large factor at speeds over about 14-15mph, and get worse from there. ;)
Exactly! Your physical condition will play a big part in your range and also riding style.

Any display that give an accurate reading from battery down. and vice versa.
watts/ km.
Many of the Bafang and KT controller/display options will give you a direct readout regarding how many watts are in use. 1000+ watt reading no big deal. I believe the Grin controller and display can be set up to read watts/km directly

We've just launched an updated Ebike Range Calculator, with 16 inputs and over 100 variants. Please give it a try and let us know how it compares to your actual riding performance. Cheers.
My e bike does not fit within your parameters, but I can extrapolate and believe it would be reasonably accurate. In touring mode, somewhere around 82 miles from a full charge. That sucks, I need to do better. Need to work on things that extend range besides more batteries.

EBIKE RANGE CALCULATOR (UPDATED)​

48 volts x 20 Ah = 960 Wh
960 Wh / 20 Wh = 48 miles in range approximately.
Appreciate the thought and effort, but I don't see how you could get a reliable range estimate from this approach.

To clarify your assumptions and keep the units straight, that second line should read

960 Wh / (20 Wh/mile) = 48 miles

This method is only as good as that 20 Wh/mile assumption. Many key parameters necessarily involved in it — many more than are specified in your reference case (175 lb rider...).

The most important of the unspecified parameters are delivered mechanical motor power at PAS 1 and ground speed. The latter's likely to vary significantly over a ride long enough to drain any fully charged ebike battery. And on a torque-sensing ebike, so will that power. Not to mention PAS 1 motor power variation from bike to bike.

All that said, Wh/mile figures for ebikes is an interesting topic in itself.

EDIT: If Wh/mile estimates were available for a wide range of use cases and bike types, the user could pick the best match for a given ride and get a much better range estimate with this method. Will see what's available online.

Last edited:
Back