Ebike rack

My wife’s Como 3.5 seems underpowered at 50 nm, even for her, especially with the igh. My Vado 4.0 (70 nm, US$4.0k) is fine for me, even on steep hills. The Vado 5.0 (90 nm) seemed like overkill at US$ 5.0k with all the gizmos added. The zen platform looks interesting. Are you able to test ride or is this outfit purely online?
Thanks for your info…most appreciated!
That Vado 5 is $8000.00 Canadian and that Zen Samurai Premium model is $8900.00 Canadian. Unfortunately, that Zen is on-line only. I have emailed Ravi (one of the company owners I have read) about that serious issue. That is, without test riding that Zen ebike, I find it very hard to justify spending close to $10,000 on a bike.
At least the Specialized Vado 5 has local dealers…but try find that Vado 5 IGH XL frame size anywhere! I know I could test ride a Specialized ebike with similar components.
I will post further when and if I receive info from Ravi (Zen) about test ride possibilities.
Thanks again!

@Silvercat - It appears that there is one in stock on the island though I’m not sure if you’re willing to travel that far to test ride it. That being said, it is a step through which might not be what you had in mind.

@Silvercat - It appears that there is one in stock on the island though I’m not sure if you’re willing to travel that far to test ride it. That being said, it is a step through which might not be what you had in mind.

Thanks but I would prefer the black, not red colour. Step through would likely be my best choice given my age.
I likely will need to order a Zen Samurai Premium model, despite its being about 900.00 more. That Zen appears to have superior components, including a Bosch Generation 4 Speed motor.
Any comments on that Zen would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Thanks but I would prefer the black, not red colour. Step through would likely be my best choice given my age.
I likely will need to order a Zen Samurai Premium model, despite its being about 900.00 more. That Zen appears to have superior components, including a Bosch Generation 4 Speed motor.
Any comments on that Zen would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Nice looking bike. Best of luck in landing a test ride and it’s great that you’re considering purchasing from a Cdn company. 👍I would have to say that Zen could have provided a bit more written detail with respect to technical specs rather than just highlights. ie wheels, hubs, tires, brake rotor size, crankset, accessories, etc..Seems like Court provides more information on his review than does the actual website.

Nice looking bike. Best of luck in landing a test ride and it’s great that you’re considering purchasing from a Cdn company. 👍I would have to say that Zen could have provided a bit more written detail with respect to technical specs rather than just highlights. ie wheels, hubs, tires, brake rotor size, crankset, accessories, etc..Seems like Court provides more information on his review than does the actual website.
Thanks. Without a doubt, buying from a Canadian or American company appeals to me. Certainly, not a fan of anything from China! Here is other info I acquired re that Zen Samurai Premium model (maybe you have already seen):

• 500 + 500 Wh power tubes (dual battery, standard)
  • Bosch Kiox display (Nyon, optional)
  • Magura 4-piston hydraulic brakes
  • Kindernay VII internal gear hub
  • FOX15x110 thru-axle air suspension fork
  • Supernova lights – 1400 lumens
  • Bosch Gen 4 motor + Gates belt drive
  • Kinekt suspension seatpost
500 + 500 Wh power tubes (dual battery, standard)
Display
Bosch Kiox display (Nyon, optional)
Brakes
Magura 4-piston hydraulic brakes
Gear hub
Kindernay VII internal gear hub
Suspension fork
FOX15x110 thru-axle air suspension fork
Lights
Supernova lights – 1400 lumens
Motor & Belt Drive
Bosch Gen 4 motor + Gates belt drive
Seatpost
Kinekt suspension seatpost

Pricy at $8900. Canadian! Base model is $6000.00 but different IGH, suspension, brakes, battery, seat post, display, etc. The motor is the same, Bosch Gen 4, Speed.

Clearly would be a HUGE purchase so I am trying to be very thorough in my reviews before committing.
Would be great to hear any opinions on that Premium model.
Others on this forum have mentioned the Bosch CX performance motor (max speed of 32 kph or 20 mph) would be better at climbing hills due to its torque setting. That is, the speed motor is better at higher speeds against the wind…unless I have mis- interpreted.

Thanks for any and all feedback!

As I indulge my zoomies through the possibilities of assorted bikes, I was thinking what a PITA it'll be to store a great big bike in my house. And yet I want to be able to put a cushion on the rear rack and schlep my 6yo around from time to time.

Is there a foldie ebike with a 100# rack?

Is the limit on a rear rack the bolts connecting the rack to the bike? The bars of the rack itself? The strain on the rear tire?

Could I weld a big, tough rack to something like a Lectric XP2.0 and have it support 80lbs? If yes, suggestions for a particularly robust aftermarket rack?

My guess is that I'm SOL, but hope springs eternal.

Guidance much appreciated.
Someone may come along to say 'it can be done' but that's more than the weight of the bike itself being added over the rear wheel. I've done a lot of long motorcycle trips (1500miles and up) on and off-road, and can feel the weight even on motorcycles. Have you considered a trailer instead? It will still make the bike feel different, but might be a safer option, especially for kid hauling..

Back