ebike conversion advice please

pushandpedal

Region
United Kingdom
Hi, I am new to ebikes and would welcome any advice on the following I am planning on doing the following conversion to my Merida BIG SEVEN

BAFANG BBS02B 48V 750W E-bike Mid Motor 67-73 mm conversion kit
is anyone able to offer opinion on this conversion
1: Is Bafang BBS02B 48V 750W a reliable motor or anyone know of issues ?
2: What is a good display to work with the BBS02B
3 :Is the 17.5 Amp battery a good choice or does 20 Amp offer a lot more in range, or power
Thanks John

Since you ask, prior to buying a BBS02B, I would need a good reason NOT to buy a BBSHD. More power, and much more resistant to abuse. The BBSHD has made a LOT of friends. BBS02B the same way, but not on the same scale with the BBSHD.

You keep asking about displays. I gave you a link earlier showing several that will all work just fine. Not sure if you are overthinking this, or if there's a reason you don't want to go with a Bafang display?

Big batteries are nice as they don't need to be charged as often. The down side is their weight - which can be very noticeable on an e-bike. My advice would be don't install any more than you will need/use regularly. Point being, often a 14ah battery will work fine and be fine for short distance commuting and running around town. I would also note that if you aren't planning on pedaling much, if you are planing on pulling a load, or if there are a lot of hills involved, big power like this can go through a lot of battery quickly. If you plan on pedaling, contributing at least some of the power required, and the only thing you will be carrying is you, they really don't use that much power....

Last edited:
The BBS02B if you are likely to want more of a natural feel, use your gears and ride more like an acoustic bike. BBSHD if you want a powerful assist motor and don't care if you clown pedal. (Pedal with no resistance and can't keep up with the rotation.) Al is correct the BBSHD is the toughest of the two, but the BBS02B remains a good choice. These days a 17-20Ah battery is a good choice. I'm old school, I like the old B&W C965 displays. Simple.

The BBS02B if you are likely to want more of a natural feel, use your gears and ride more like an acoustic bike. BBSHD if you want a powerful assist motor and don't care if you clown pedal. (Pedal with no resistance and can't keep up with the rotation.) Al is correct the BBSHD is the toughest of the two, but the BBS02B remains a good choice. These days a 17-20Ah battery is a good choice. I'm old school, I like the old B&W C965 displays. Simple.

Thanks for your advice all noted !

The BBSHD was available when I bought my BBS02 kit in 2016. but I recall the smaller motor was also $200 USD cheaper. I've never wished it was stronger. I have the rather primitive C965 display. No voltage readout, and the watt info is only visible for a few seconds when requested. It's OK, as it came standard. Being cheap, I didn't need the brake sensor, or the $100 chain rings either. No problems in the six years I've had it.
My BBS02 needs 26 amps at peak power, so a the battery should be capable of at least 30A, easy for modern ebike packs. If you're looking at the Hailong style downtube cases. , the lowest profile cases are 48V10AH-48V-14AH with 52 cells inside. To move into 17AH requires a taller case for 65 cells. The 21A Hailong case is like a blimp to me.

No problems in the six years I've had it.
Because you’re smarter than most… Smart enough to use it as an assist not a scooter. I have or had every display but still use my C965. Sadly i lost concentration and sold a folder with a new BBS01B with my last C963. My all time basic favorite.

Last edited:
Back