Ebike build

Sluggo001

I'm considering building a mid-motor around a Felt Deep Six...any thoughts or advise?

Last edited:
Nevermind, I bought a Nirve Streetking. They come with a disc brake up front. One thing I dont have to worry about.
I'll post as the build comes along.

@Sluggo001, that's a good looking classic cruiser! Like the triple fork and the front disc brake, both a plus for style and performance. What sort of kit are you thinking of putting on these wheels?

Nirve Streetking.png

One suggestion, @Sluggo001; if you go with the 52V pack you may want a bit beefier controller than the typical 48V if you're going to run it at +28mph. Had a customer with a big heavy bike like yours who wanted to push his 1000/1200 watt mid drive with a larger battery and kept popping the conventional 48V controllers, they just weren't designed to handle the amps that a really large motor can pull under load or at top speed. Should be one trick bike when you're done!

The standard BBSHD controller wil handles a heavy bike AND a 52V battery. here are some introducing after market controllers but the jury is still out on the reliability. We know the standard as shipped will do just fine with 14S batteries. Luna calls the 52V EM3ev calls them 50V. Both are fully charged at 58.6V. I ride two BBSHD and have 48V and 52V batteries.

Thanks for the advice. The stock handlebars must go. They are way too low.
This is a small frame. I have the seat all the way back and it's cramped. Looks like I will need a laid back seat post.

Getting ready to order the motor. This has a nexus 3 and it's geared pretty low as it currently has a 44/22 on it. Does anyone have a chainring and sprocket recommendation for a BBSHD? Do I go 42 and change sprockets or keep the 46 and the 22? I have a 16,19 and 20 tooth sprocket on the way. Am I correct in assuming the motor likes higher revs?

The BBSHD does not have FET issues with the controller. The BBS02 needs the higher revs, and good sifting technique. Used as designed, there are good to excellent results. It appears the BBSHD has more power, better cooling, and there are less limits on the bigger drive.

I'll likely replace BBS01 with the same model. It's my favorite bike path motor. On a flat foot frame it's just comfort.

I only ride commuter style. Most rides are errands are 1-5 miles. I run the HD 42t x 22. Fast enough for me, an easy 24. More speed is available, but 25mph is max for my bicycle brakes.

Fit is important when deciding on the chainwheel, as well as chainline. One size does not fit all.

Last edited:
I pulled the crank arms off tonight and the factory "semi cartridge" bottom bracket is HORRIBLE.
I can barely turn the spindle with my fingers. New handlebars are here, but,the chopper style stem only takes 7/8" bar and the new are 1".
New stem on the way. I'm also changing the nexus twist shift to a SA thumb shift. It should work.

IMG_0208[1].jpg
I pulled the crank arms off tonight and the factory "semi cartridge" bottom bracket is HORRIBLE.
I can barely turn the spindle with my fingers. New handlebars are here, but,the chopper style stem only takes 7/8" bar and the new are 1".
New stem on the way. I'm also changing the nexus twist shift to a SA thumb shift. It should work.

I recently built an ebike with a BBSHD. I initially had a BBS02 but I upgraded to the HD. It is powerful, much more torque than the 02. It comes with a 46t steel chainring which gave me good chain alignment but I wanted something more attractive so I bought the Luna Eclipse. Even with the lower tooth count I can still easily exceed 30mph, in fact I can almost hit 30mph in mid gear out of 9 on a 11/32. The Eclipse has a big inset and will put the chain closer to the chain stay. I did not have an issue but some people have needed to use a spacer to bring it out a little. You will never hurt this motor or controller, unlike the BBS02. I also have a Shark 52v 13.5ah battery. If you want to add a kickstand I highly recommend the one from Crowcycleco.com, it is really sturdy and I like the fact that it puts the rear wheel off the ground. You will like your BBSHD and Luna is the best online company I have every dealt with.
John

Nice! I have the same kickstand on 4 bikes! Best fit of the 5 I tried. Also the most durable. BUT with a 46T the chain rubs. All good with the 42T.

That's a very nice clean build! Well done!

Nice! I have the same kickstand on 4 bikes! Best fit of the 5 I tried. Also the most durable. BUT with a 46T the chain rubs. All good with the 42T.

That's a very nice clean build! Well done!
I also had the 46t on there for a while. I used the spacer that came with the stand and added an 1/8 inch spacer and it worked great. Thanks for the compliment.

I also had the 46t on there for a while. I used the spacer that came with the stand and added an 1/8 inch spacer and it worked great. Thanks for the compliment.
The spacer didn't work well for me and the stand kept twisting. Did you buy the xtra tall? Mine didn't come with a spacer. So I use a chain guide when using a 46T. I have a 52T as well, it really quick 52Tx11T but to fast for comfort for this old guy. Well beyond brake capacity. And limited gearing due to chain line.

OK, Here's the build list so far.
-flat BMX handle bars
+pullback bars with more rise
- Shimano nexus inter-3 shifter and hub
+Sturmey archer 3 speed hub with roller brake and thumb shifter
+Tektro adjustable modulation brake levers
+Ebrake converters
+BBSHD with hot rod, color display, thumb throttle
+52v Dolphin GA (backordered)
This is everything I have now.
I plan to add.
52v to 12v converter