Ebike Battery Replacement & Repair Service

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys, I've covered this topic before but was very impressed by the professionalism and facilities that FTH Power has for doing ebike battery testing, cell replacement, repacking, and upgrades. I was reviewing their two-battery fat electric bike with Sam from the Electric Bicycle Center and he kept telling me about their facility nearby, in City of Industry, California. We went out for lunch and I decided to shoot a video on the topic, this was not a paid video. I hope it helps you to discover some new options for keeping your ebike running and that you just enjoy seeing a new place!

These guys started out in the electronics repair business in 1997 and then branched into ebikes and battery replacement repair services based on interest from partner brands and shops. FTH Power is hazmat certified to ship anywhere in the US but can also work directly with people who drive to their warehouse. I was told that they even offer pickup and delivery in some situations. Seems like a great opportunity for people who have electric bikes that were made by companies that no longer exist or those who are looking for a more affordable option to keep their bike going than buying a brand new battery.

FTH got into ebikes around 2016 and the co-founders said they love to ride them for fun outside of work, with their families. Most official replacement battery packs are priced $500 to $900 but the FTH repair service costs around $300. They do charge a $35 service fee just to test the pack and then offer some options from there, so it seems like the price could be lower if only one or two cells have an issue.

The first step is for the company to receive your battery, then they hook it up to a machine that charges and discharges to identify the issue, then they give you a quote so you know how much it will cost and what repairs or replacement services are needed. In most cases, they also replace the battery management system BMS circuit boards too, which helps to ensure that everything is safe and functioning properly. Most ebike manufacturer companies in the US may produce batteries, but not have facilities for repairs... so that's a big part of what FTH Does, work for those companies directly. As always, I welcome your questions, input, and stories about getting batteries repaired and replaced. I love that FTH recycles cells and seems like a really clean well-run facility.

Attachments

• battery-cell-testing-station.jpg
    battery-cell-testing-station.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,263
  • discharge-station-program-cell-resistance-measurement.jpg
    discharge-station-program-cell-resistance-measurement.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,144
  • ebike-battery-spot-welding-station.jpg
    ebike-battery-spot-welding-station.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,128
  • ebikes-boxed-ready-to-roll-out.jpg
    ebikes-boxed-ready-to-roll-out.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,199
  • electric-bike-battery-refurbishment-repair-repacking.jpg
    electric-bike-battery-refurbishment-repair-repacking.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,731
  • fth-power-double-battery-fat-electric-bikes-abyss.jpg
    fth-power-double-battery-fat-electric-bikes-abyss.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,373
  • fth-power-ebike-battery-repair-service.jpg
    fth-power-ebike-battery-repair-service.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,488
  • fth-power-ebikes-charging-before-shipping-out.jpg
    fth-power-ebikes-charging-before-shipping-out.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,124
  • inline-ebike-battery-measurement-station.jpg
    inline-ebike-battery-measurement-station.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,593
  • sam-from-electric-bicycle-center-repaired-battery.jpg
    sam-from-electric-bicycle-center-repaired-battery.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,465
Thanks for the video. The first thing that came to mind when purchasing an e bike was how can I replace the battery when it can no longer hold a useful charge. I am very cost conscious and would rather not pay full price for a new battery pack from the dealer. Hopefully by the time my battery reaches the end of it’s useful life there will be companies like FTH Power near me in NJ. Keep those great videos coming Court, they are awesome.

That bike with fat tires should be made into a 700c x48 version.
2 x750wh=1500wh pack ? . Better then 95% of the e bikes out in the market now for a manageable weight of 65-68lb ? Congrats !

Thanks for the video. The first thing that came to mind when purchasing an e bike was how can I replace the battery when it can no longer hold a useful charge. I am very cost conscious and would rather not pay full price for a new battery pack from the dealer. Hopefully by the time my battery reaches the end of it’s useful life there will be companies like FTH Power near me in NJ. Keep those great videos coming Court, they are awesome.
It can be shipped Ups hazmat from any state. I have one bat. that needs service.

It's great that there are lower cost options for OEM battery replacement.

By someone who is dedicated to the business and has a great facility!

I sold my UltraBike for this very reason, didn't want to pay $700 for a new battery on a 4 year old bike

Hi, A couple of weeks ago I got in touch with FTH about buying an additional battery for my Crystalyte electric motor on my bike. I wanted to have a second battery to extend my range and I wanted it to have the same fittings as my original battery so that it could easily hook up to my motor and also so that I could use the same battery charger for both batteries, the old and the new one. Everybody I had contact with, Dianna and Ken, and there was someone else I spoke with, were really great, professional, friendly, knowledgeable and helpful in every way. They figured out exactly the right battery and attached the connectors perfectly so that when it arrived all I had to do was charge it up, put it in my battery bag along with my first battery, and peddle away. The cost was extremely reasonable and the shipping was impeccable.

I would wholeheartedly recommend this company without any reservations. Thanks for everything FTH!

A couple of weeks ago my battery stopped charging on my RideScoozy veego. There was clearly a problem with the charger and RideScoozy immediately sent me a new one. Unfortunately the bad charger damaged the battery and it still would not charge. RideScoozy was willing to help me with the battery but I saw a process of weeks and the hassle of shipping a battery. Lucky for me I am in driving distance of Fth power so I took my battery there. They tested the battery and found that the charging fuse was blown. The technician showed me how to change it myself if it happens again. In all it took a week and cost me $67 total. That’s just barely more than the cost of shipping the battery. I also learned a lot about how to test and repair the batteries.

Fth was kind of a weird place. They aren’t set up for direct dealing with the public but they were quite nice and helpful. I was very happy to not have to deal with shipping. I would definitely contact them if I needed a battery or repairs.

Back