Easy Motion vs Bosch Second Generation Drive Systems

After owing an number of ebikes for a year now, this last weekend I used one bike to commute to my barber shop with the goal of doing as little effort as possible on my Neo Jet so I did not show up a sweaty mess, 6 miles round trip with some hills as I ride past NIH on Old Georgetown Road. I also did a 25 mile round trip to DuPont circle and back using the Bosch mostly in Sport mode. Always riding the bikes to exercise, this was the first time taking it easy for me. I was surprised how enjoyable it was. I did not have to worry about parking, could cut around traffic, utilized bike paths, and it was fun. Also, at PAS 3 you don't need to change gears really which also make the ride a bit easier since the bike is a rear hub.

On the FS RX I had to provide more effort and the bike pretty much maxes out at 19 mph. You can get to 20 mph but the assist drops off so you are working. I used about as much power going 25 miles with Bosch as I did going 6 on the BH but I felt like I still got a workout event though I was not looking for one.

So using the bikes as commuters trying to do as little effort as possible greatly favored the BH Neo Jet, especially considering it is so much less money out the door. Setting it on PAS level 3 had me moving at 23 mph while providing almost no effort. The bike was very comfortable doing almost all the work. I did not break a sweat at all. In fact, for people that commute and are looking at using the bike as a vehicle mostly, I would not recommend a Bosch system UNLESS you are pushing range and in that case I would probably recommend a bike with a bigger battery. In this use case, lowest effort high speed ~15 miles or less commuting, the BH is the clear choice.

After owing an number of ebikes for a year now, this last weekend I used one bike to commute to my barber shop with the goal of doing as little effort as possible on my Neo Jet so I did not show up a sweaty mess, 6 miles round trip with some hills as I ride past NIH on Old Georgetown Road. I also did a 25 mile round trip to DuPont circle and back using the Bosch mostly in Sport mode. Always riding the bikes to exercise, this was the first time taking it easy for me. I was surprised how enjoyable it was. I did not have to worry about parking, could cut around traffic, utilized bike paths, and it was fun. Also, at PAS 3 you don't need to change gears really which also make the ride a bit easier since the bike is a rear hub.

On the FS RX I had to provide more effort and the bike pretty much maxes out at 19 mph. You can get to 20 mph but the assist drops off so you are working. I used about as much power going 25 miles with Bosch as I did going 6 on the BH but I felt like I still got a workout event though I was not looking for one.

So using the bikes as commuters trying to do as little effort as possible greatly favored the BH Neo Jet, especially considering it is so much less money out the door. Setting it on PAS level 3 had me moving at 23 mph while providing almost no effort. The bike was very comfortable doing almost all the work. I did not break a sweat at all. In fact, for people that commute and are looking at using the bike as a vehicle mostly, I would not recommend a Bosch system UNLESS you are pushing range and in that case I would probably recommend a bike with a bigger battery. In this use case, lowest effort high speed ~15 miles or less commuting, the BH is the clear choice.
eDean; See my response to Ravi under the Focus forum with the post entitled German Engineering at its Best........

PAS level 3 = Boost mode? That's the highest PAS on a BH Easy Motion eBike. ( no assist -- Eco -- Sport -- Boost)

It's a terrific mode as long as your total range for riding is under 20 mi (and to be safe, maybe more like 15 mi), as it will eat up the battery wattage faster.

There is also throttle mode on US ebike versions where you don't have to pedal at all, with speeds up to 20mph, but again, bigger/faster use of battery, so good for short ranges only.

I sold my Stromer ST1 Platinum and got a Haibike Trekking Pro about 4 weeks ago. I am noticing everything that @eDean have pointed out. My commute is about 10-12 miles round trip. When I used the Stromer for my commute I did not sweat as much as I have with the Haibike. In my case, I use the Haibike as my only bike and use it for commuting, trails, etc. so I don't mind the exercise and sweating.

I would also not recommend the Bosch mid-drive system for someone looking for a commuter bike, if you want to minimize sweating and effort. For example, I would not use my Haibike to go for a haircut because I know I will arrive sweaty at the barbershop :D.

Last edited:
I sold my Stromer ST1 Platinum and got a Haibike Trekking Pro about 4 weeks ago. I am noticing everything that @eDean have pointed out. My commute is about 10-12 miles round trip. When I used the Stromer for my commute I did not sweat as much as I have with the Haibike. In my case, I use the Haibike as my only bike and use it for commuting, trails, etc. so I don't mind the exercise and sweating.

I would also not recommend the Bosch mid-drive system for someone looking for a commuter bike, if you want to minimize sweating and effort. For example, I would not use my Haibike to go for a haircut because I know I will arrive sweaty at the barbershop :D.

Ideally if you don't want to be sweaty or tired, you would use throttle-only all the time. Or you can buy an electric scooter (see Electric Ride Reviews).

Definitely if you're commuting and wanting as little effort as possible you don't want a Haibike. It's a bicycle with bionic-leg boost, not a scooter with pedals.

However, if you do like exercise when you're riding... then it's another story! :)

PAS level 3 = Boost mode? That's the highest PAS on a BH Easy Motion eBike. ( no assist -- Eco -- Sport -- Boost)

It's a terrific mode as long as your total range for riding is under 20 mi (and to be safe, maybe more like 15 mi), as it will eat up the battery wattage faster.

There is also throttle mode on US ebike versions where you don't have to pedal at all, with speeds up to 20mph, but again, bigger/faster use of battery, so good for short ranges only.

Older models had 5 levels - off, eco, standard, sport and boost - my guess would be he meant standard, maybe sport, not boost though!

Just to jump in, I use my mid-drive for commuting to work, but I also wanted it to double for exercise. That said, I have the commute to be jealous of (if you can be jealous of having to go to work :) Downhill to work, uphill home. However, I do need to take it real easy for the last 1/2 mile or I'll be too hot when I stop. Since I use the bike for play as well, it seems like the perfect compromise.

Just to jump in, I use my mid-drive for commuting to work, but I also wanted it to double for exercise. That said, I have the commute to be jealous of (if you can be jealous of having to go to work :) Downhill to work, uphill home. However, I do need to take it real easy for the last 1/2 mile or I'll be too hot when I stop. Since I use the bike for play as well, it seems like the perfect compromise.
Perfect compromise if you always want to exert effort when commuting. If you want the added benefit of no effort commuting on your ebike, then there is a compromise to be considered.

mid drive + throttle would be the holy grail to provide sweat-free commute and then allow the rider to work harder for exercise when wanted.

mid drive + throttle would be the holy grail to provide sweat-free commute and then allow the rider to work harder for exercise when wanted.
Several of these are out there! And I agree with one addition: would be nice to be able to toggle between a cadence sensor and a torque sensor. These are huge differences in the riding experience.

Bosch 1000 mile update. Also BH 2000 mile update.

This summer so far I'm managed to put 1000 miles on both bikes. Both bikes have been near flawless. The one exception is that the BH threw and exception a couple of times which required me to cycle the interface which was no big deal. The key to the mid drive is keeping the chain really clean, makes a huge difference and keeps it nice and silent.

While my ebike friends with other bike brands complain and moan about how they are going to get their bikes serviced in a town with limited eBike support I have been riding non stop. Slower since I am capped at 20 mph, but less headaches. What are the things that stress you out on ebikes: range and repairs. Then there is comfort.

Two batteries gets you over range anxiety . Can do over 80 miles with hills on the Bosch easy. Probably 100, just have not tried. Since I pull my kid on the BH mostly, the range suffers, maybe 30 miles a battery pulling 70 lbs of trailer and kid. Batteries make great gifts.

The bosh system so far has been really problem free other than vibration at certain speeds which seems to be less and issue now it has miles on it? Could be temperature related as well. BH at 2000 miles is solid.

Comfort is an issue once you start doing longer rides. It becomes very important to have a frame that fits your dimension. You may not think about this on your first eBike, but you will really start to care on your second.

It has been mentioned on this form that the mid drive bikes require you to maintain a particular cadence to be effective. I did find that on very long ride this did get old when putting on the first few hundred miles. However, the more you ride and get conditioned, the less it a factor. Your legs just get used to it. Sometimes I turn off the mid drive and forget its off. My biking has really improved with out me knowing it and my legs are getting well conditioned and used to distance. The mid drive is better in this regard, as a trainer, since it always requires effort and the effort is more constant.

Two years into the Neo Jet and 1000 miles into the FS RX and my choice in these two bikes could not have been better.

Great summary, Dean.
BH has a solid product at reasonable price points.
Just ordered a EM Nitro city as my second commuter.

Thanks for the great detailed report .
Any updates ?
I'm trying to decide between Trek XM700 + and BH Easymotion EVO Cross for an around town transport bike in hilly terrain .

Back