E25 error message aventon

Cmsawyer12

Region
USA
Hi all! Yesterday I turned on my aventon m, got an E25 error message, fell over on the bike after expecting it to go, when I stood it up error was gone and it went fine.
Today E25 was back but it never worked. I tried turning on/off, holding buttons, nothing. Anybody can help?

Hi there! We are sorry to learn that you're experiencing technical issues with your e-bike. An E25 code is caused when the brake inhibitor sensor is loose, or the brake lever has been engaged for more than 5 seconds with the bike powered on. The Pace 500 uses special brake levers that stop the motor when you apply the brakes. The sensitivity of the motor cut-off switch can be adjusted. Adjust the brake lever sensitivity as required. Before riding, confirm that squeezing the brake lever stops the motor. Use the same adjustment process to raise the sensitivity if required. Do not ride unless the brake lever stops the motor when squeezed. If the brake lever is damaged (following a crash, for example) it might need to be replaced.

Yeah, I got on the habit on my Aventure of holding the brake lever when I'm ready to get on/off, and I got this message the other day just because I forgot to let go of the brake when I hit the power switch.

The brake handles use a hall effect sensor that gets held in by a nut on the cable. After a crash I had a catastrophic failure of that cable (no strain reliefs? REALLY?) requiring replacement.

This was bad:
brokenWire.jpg

But in my case it didn't stop the bike from turning on, it stopped the front brake from disengaging the motor.

I was also unimpressed the nut to hold it on didn't match the thread on the brake handle which is why removed it's completely stripped. I actually had to re-tap the hole and re-die the threads on the replacement. Not even the same diameter!

Either way that sensor inside the handle or the cable for it is likely faulty or just not together right.

Were the threads possibly stripped smooth because you turned the screw with the set screw still engaged?
That would involve their being a "set screw". There was not. It's all one piece. The threads that aren't damaged in the pic were sticking out of the handle. I've got one of the handles (from my spare now that I have two of them) and there is no set screw. Or retaining nuts. Or strain reliefs. Or anything else one would expect this stuff to have.

The replacement's threads were a match for the surviving ones on what I removed, but were clearly a larger diameter than the HOLE. I swear without a tap and die set, the only way they got that thing in at the factory was with a hammer or hydraulic press. The outer diameter of the surviving threads -- and the the threads on the replacement -- were a quarter mm larger than the hole and what survived of its threads.

Which is why reaming and re-tapping the hole to the correct diameter worked... and took away a LOT of metal. Though to be fair, that's kind of the engineering I expect from a company like zoom... and why I'm glad to hear it sounds like the new generation of Aventons are getting Tektro.

Back