e-Joe KODA

WaltR

Could anyone share their experience with the KODA. It looks pretty interesting to me and I would like to hear from people who have actually purchased and used it.

Not yet! This review looks very interesting:
Starting to see batteries that look like that on a lot of bikes. Three brands of bikes so far, the first was the new ProdecoTech Phantom XR. The Phantom was announced last fall 2014, but I'm not sure if it's available for purchase as of this first week of April, 2015. I like that battery design, I wonder what exactly is inside and if they are all the same, from the same factory. Time will tell... Some uniformity in the industry would be good, it would benefit all of us if they were all interchangeable. Might make for a less expensive battery and spare if you could go to several places to get one.

Starting to see batteries that look like that on a lot of bikes. Three brands of bikes so far, the first was the new ProdecoTech Phantom XR. The Phantom was announced last fall 2014, but I'm not sure if it's available for purchase as of this first week of April, 2015. I like that battery design, I wonder what exactly is inside and if they are all the same, from the same factory. Time will tell... Some uniformity in the industry would be good, it would benefit all of us if they were all interchangeable. Might make for a less expensive battery and spare if you could go to several places to get one.

Yes, it's a generic design. Another feature of mass produced Chinese bikes is the battery placement behind the seat tube.
The assembly line and tooling cost would increase if you go with purpose built frame.
Frame batteries.JPG

Yes, it's a generic design. Another feature of mass produced Chinese bikes is the battery placement behind the seat tube.
The assembly line and tooling cost would increase if you go with purpose built frame.
View attachment 2617
Hey Lenny, is there anything proprietary with these down-tube batteries or do you think you will be able to put a Prodeco battery on an e-Joe?

Hi JR,
At this point, we are not carrying any E-joe, so I don't know what kind of charging port it comes with.
Looks like E-joe comes has 36V, 15Ah Li-poly and the Prodeco has been using LiFePo4. I believe they switched to Li-ion after they were bought out couple of months ago.

Last edited:
I heard that e-joe shipped its first batch of Kodas today. Has anyone seen one? How do they check out?

I hope someone can give me some help. I am buying two e-bikes, one for my wife and the other for me. We both have ridden the e-joe Angunn 2 and liked it very much except that it did not have an LCD display. I am 6'6 and weigh 215 and felt that I needed a 500 watt motor to be able to handle some short but steep hills we have near our house. I know that I want the battery mounted low and near the center of the bike. I am also looking for a longer range battery. The specs for the new Angunn and the Koda are absolutely perfect for us based on what I have learned and we like the look of both. The price seems to be ideal and that is where the question comes in. I have seen Court's reviews of the e-Joe One and it looked like a total disaster. That would scare me away except that these two bikes specs seem perfect for us and e-Joe has a good reputation for its folding bikes. So here is my question. Is e-Joe a good company that consistently delivers reliable products and services customers when they have issues? I don't know anything about the company and its ownership. Do they serve their customers and their dealers and help when you have problems. I noticed that they changed their warranty so it now includes only parts and not labor on factory defects--does this mean that they expect a lot of problems with the new products and don't want the liability of having to service them? I still haven't seen Court's review of the Koda and that would really be helpful. Finally, if you don't think the timing is right to buy the new e-joe bikes do you have a recommendation for a couple of alternatives I should consider. Any and all guidance would be appreciated.

I just finished reading Court's excellent review of the e-joe Koda. Has anyone purchased one and, if so, would you be willing to share your assessment?

Hey everyone, I'm really considering biting the bullet here and ordering the Koada. I had been considering many other bikes: Haibike Trekking RX, ST1 Plat, Volton Alation 500 (read my problems in that forum), a BB0S 2 custom build and so forth. Recently I was considering the Pedego City commuter which has similar specs of this bike, but doesn't have the nice commuter semi aggressive handlebar and front suspension of the Koada.

My LEBS won't order it without full payment up front, so I can't test ride the Koda, but I'm really considering just ordering it anyways. Everything in Courts review hits my needs/wants list and the bike is 100% better looking than e-Joe's other bikes. I did test ride the e-Joe Epik which I loved riding, but I don't feel like it would be comfortable after a few miles of commuting.

Anyways, I'll post again if I order it, but it might not be until I get some student loans in and get caught up on some bills.

I just finished reading Court's excellent review of the e-joe Koda. Has anyone purchased one and, if so, would you be willing to share your assessment?

The new Koda is a fantastic bike with low-end to intermediate-quality specs. The only reason I say that is that it runs on a 36V system as opposed to the 48V systems that usually offer better performance, faster charging, and longer range. That said, the Koda's 540Wh battery is pretty beefy relative to other 36V bikes, and the fact that the bike comes with a rear rack and built-in front and rear lights is a nice surprise, as is the very low weight. Also, the bike is a bargain at $2,200! Clearly, this bike isn't perfect, but it does offer quite a good value for one's dollar, and I think that bikes that serve this part of the market are sorely needed. It seems like this bike has a more modern design and a sporty look than the ProdecoTech models, what with the downtube-mounted battery and the less beachcruiser-esque frame, but the bike is less expensive than competitors like the IZIP E3 Dash ($2,900) and the BH EasyMotion Neo Jet and Evo 29" (both $2,999). Granted, the E3 Dash and the BH Emotion Neo Jet and Evo 29" both go above 25 MPH, whereas the Koda is limited to 20mph (which is particularly strange for a 750W-capable hub motor, as it should be able to go 30MPH+ on flat pavement with that much power). I think that if they were able to offer the bike as an S-pedelec (i.e. faster than 20mph) with a 48V system, they'd have even more or a winner on their hands, but at only $2,200, beggars can't be choosy.

The new Koda is a fantastic bike with low-end to intermediate-quality specs. The only reason I say that is that it runs on a 36V system as opposed to the 48V systems that usually offer better performance, faster charging, and longer range. That said, the Koda's 540Wh battery is pretty beefy relative to other 36V bikes, and the fact that the bike comes with a rear rack and built-in front and rear lights is a nice surprise, as is the very low weight. Also, the bike is a bargain at $2,200! Clearly, this bike isn't perfect, but it does offer quite a good value for one's dollar, and I think that bikes that serve this part of the market are sorely needed. It seems like this bike has a more modern design and a sporty look than the ProdecoTech models, what with the downtube-mounted battery and the less beachcruiser-esque frame, but the bike is less expensive than competitors like the IZIP E3 Dash ($2,900) and the BH EasyMotion Neo Jet and Evo 29" (both $2,999). Granted, the E3 Dash and the BH Emotion Neo Jet and Evo 29" both go above 25 MPH, whereas the Koda is limited to 20mph (which is particularly strange for a 750W-capable hub motor, as it should be able to go 30MPH+ on flat pavement with that much power). I think that if they were able to offer the bike as an S-pedelec (i.e. faster than 20mph) with a 48V system, they'd have even more or a winner on their hands, but at only $2,200, beggars can't be choosy.

I have been waiting to test drive the Koda for three months but it has not been available until now. I will be testing it this weekend (and buying it if it performs as well as it specs out). I took the advice of several of you and used the intervening time to try out other bikes, though it has been hard to find them around Kansas City, MO. I rode the e-joe anngun the IZIP Dash, The e-motion City, and am going Friday to ride the Diamondback Trace. I will choose between the Trace and the Koda. REI had the Trace on sale last week for $2170 but they didn't have it available at their store about 30 miles from me so I ordered one shipped to the store which I can try out and either buy or return. The price is about the same for both bikes and I have already ridden and liked the Dash -- the Trace is essentially the same bike as the Dash as far as I can tell. Anyway, with the REI sale, the Trace is priced about the same as the Koda. I am planning to own one or the other by Sunday. I will report back on which one I chose and why.

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice and encouragement both in this forum and in the compare forum where I asked for advice comparing the Koda with a couple of other bikes that appeared to spec out well.

Anyone actually own this bike yet? I'm down to my finalist choices right now, it's between the Koda and Evo 27.5. Looking to hear from anyone who owns the Koda. Thanks

Hi ladies and gents! I bought the 2015 E-Joe Koda and I put 100+ miles on it in 2 weeks. I must say that I love this bike! I can confirm what others have mentioned just from looking at the specs that this bike isn't perfect, but it certainly presents a great value and really good performance for what you pay. The riding position is a very comfortable forward leaning angle and the seat and handlebars feel good. The suspension takes in bumps like a champ. The display is nice and big when you want to see it, but not obtrusive and doesn't take away your focus from the road. I like the feel of the throttle kicking in and the battery range is great. Also, I must say that the folks at e-Joe provide amazing customer service and post-purchase support. They are really passionate about these bike's and for good reason!
I can answer specific questions that anyone may have, just post them up!

On this website, they list the specs as 48v / 13 AH: http://www.superscooterstore.com/co...ic-bicycle-sport-class-commuter-titanium-grey

I wonder if E-Joe upgraded the battery.

EDIT: I called the superscooter store and they said to trust the specs on the E-Joe website. Speaking of specs, this video suggests that the bike weighs about 55 lbs, not the 43 lbs listed in various places online including the E-Joe website (43 lbs is the correct weight for the Epic SE, so maybe the data was copied and pasted):

Last edited:
On the E-Joe website there is a place to post comments/questions and one person asked what was the final weight at production was 43 lbs with the battery which is a 38v 15ah. Here's a SS.
Capture.JPG

I asked E-Joe about the bike's speed and this was the response

Hi Logan,

Thank you for your question. The manufacture settings for all of our models is set at the legal limit for street legal ebikes, which is 20mph (using assist only...you can of course go faster if you pedal). However, with the KODA and ANGGUN, you can increase the max speed to 25mph using the display, just know that using assist over 20mph on the streets is not legal in most states. But I am sure you can make your own decision on that one :)

Happily and Sincerely,

Cristine Wiseman
Business Development and Marketing Director
e-JOE Bicycles, Inc.

Back