E Joe Epik SE fatal flaw

babyfeet

I purchased an E Joe Epik SE in August from Seattle Electric Bike.

I find it to be a very useful and convenient design for my needs. I find its power level to be useful in my daily commute. There is a lot to like about this bike.

But:
I have found that recharging the battery is a dicey, complex problem because of the poor design of the bike’s port location. It is downward facing. With only a minor amount of moisture on the ground, water is kicked up by the front tire and directed at the key and battery port holes in the frame.

No torrential downpour is needed. Just a fine mist, and suddenly I’ve got to get out the hair dryer to dry the port.

Otherwise, the charger will give me the green light upon connection regardless of how low the battery is. There appears to be no measure taken to mitigate this direct and entirely predictable water contact with the battery port.

I have rubber stoppered up the battery port hole, but water will enter through the key hole. So now I'm working on that...

From the manual:

“Your electric bicycle is rain and splash proof and can be used in all weathers.

 The electric components of the vehicle, such as the motor, battery, and controller, MUST NOT be

submerged in water.

 Please use caution. Do not operate your bicycle under bad/heavy weather conditions. “

The first and last lines directly contradict each other. “…can be used in all weathers:. bad/heavy weather conditions is one of “all weathers” (was this written by a native English speaker?). Which is it? And why is it being sold through a dealer in Seattle of all places? The literature states that this was designed for use in San Francisco. San Francisco is not the driest place either.

Also, why have a dealer located in Seattle if your product is not to be used in the rain?

This is turning into a dealbreaker in the face of an otherwise fine and efficient product.

I am wondering if other Epik SE owners have any hot tips

I haven't had my Epik SE long enough to comment on weather durability, however, the first two times I road it, I got unexpectedly rained on. The first time was minimal, although it was enough to get the road completely wet in some locations. The second time was a bit more (although far from intense) and it included rain, snow and ice pellets on an unusually cold day a couple weeks ago. The trail I was on was completely wet for the last few miles before I got back to my car. When I got home, I did not notice any moisture around the charging port and I did not have any charging problems. Having said that, I do admit I have been concerned about the location of the charging port. But, since I don't plan to ride in wet weather (outside of the unexpected), I'm not too concerned.

Hi BabyFeet,

As you know there is a small gap between the frame folding part, where the water could get in. I wrap a microfiber towel around it. I have biked several times in a heavy rainy condition and survived.
But under a rainy condition, you should watch out for dirt in the ring magnetic sensor, too. If that gets covered by dirt, the pedal assist will not work, so the solution is to just keep it clean there.

Also, I used a velcro to seal the hole which is facing downward for the battery charging, so that dirt would not get in. I could show pictures if you are interested.

Lastly, if you have issues, you can contact Cristine Wiseman: [email protected]

Electrical tape conforms to objects when you stretch as your wrapping it so I wonder if you stretch wrap over the frame and over the hole for the charging port during wet weather conditions if it would prevent this issue. Electrical tape seems to remove without much gunk left behind....I'm honestly unsure if this would work but it may be worth a try.

I hit a huge puddle and my bike stopped working... I normally put plastic wrap around the middle to keep it water tight... I didn’t this one time and I think I shorted out the whole Bike. Taking it home now hoping it dries out and works or I’m going to have to do some repairs... FYI I have ejoe parts... 2015 model...

I purchased an E Joe Epik SE in August from Seattle Electric Bike.

I find it to be a very useful and convenient design for my needs. I find its power level to be useful in my daily commute. There is a lot to like about this bike.

But:
I have found that recharging the battery is a dicey, complex problem because of the poor design of the bike’s port location. It is downward facing. With only a minor amount of moisture on the ground, water is kicked up by the front tire and directed at the key and battery port holes in the frame.

No torrential downpour is needed. Just a fine mist, and suddenly I’ve got to get out the hair dryer to dry the port.

Otherwise, the charger will give me the green light upon connection regardless of how low the battery is. There appears to be no measure taken to mitigate this direct and entirely predictable water contact with the battery port.

I have rubber stoppered up the battery port hole, but water will enter through the key hole. So now I'm working on that...

From the manual:

“Your electric bicycle is rain and splash proof and can be used in all weathers.

 The electric components of the vehicle, such as the motor, battery, and controller, MUST NOT be

submerged in water.

 Please use caution. Do not operate your bicycle under bad/heavy weather conditions. “

The first and last lines directly contradict each other. “…can be used in all weathers:. bad/heavy weather conditions is one of “all weathers” (was this written by a native English speaker?). Which is it? And why is it being sold through a dealer in Seattle of all places? The literature states that this was designed for use in San Francisco. San Francisco is not the driest place either.

Also, why have a dealer located in Seattle if your product is not to be used in the rain?

This is turning into a dealbreaker in the face of an otherwise fine and efficient product.

I am wondering if other Epik SE owners have any hot tips

Back