E-Biking with a Brain Injury

RPS

Hello! I am new to the ebike world. I have just received my new ebike and have ridden it twice. (Magnum Metro Plus)
I suffered a concussion a few years ago and am trying to build a new life within my new reality. Fyi I am 59 years old.
Unable to drive a car, I am hoping to reclaim some independence (going shopping, touring, visiting friends) and rely less on my kind wife, my feet, and the bus system for transport.
I am finding balancing on the bike rough but manageable. But shifting, watching the road, managing power levels, all at the same time is tough. And starting and stopping are quite difficult. Basically anything close to multitasking is very tough. It will be necessary to practice. Good thing it is fun and I am motivated!
Anyway - if there are any other people riding with a brain injury - it would be nice to hear from you about your experiences.
Best wishes. Ron

There's always a eTricycle. I have one in my, not too distant future. Recently I saw a Pedego trike, and it was really nicely built! A trike can have a quite large battery, even a LiFePo4 set of cells that have almost double the service life! They're heavy for most two wheels. No brain injury here, but I recovered from a mild stroke and was able to ride again.

There's always a eTricycle. I have one in my, not too distant future. Recently I saw a Pedego trike, and it was really nicely built! A trike can have a quite large battery, even a LiFePo4 set of cells that have almost double the service life! They're heavy for most two wheels. No brain injury here, but I recovered from a mild stroke and was able to ride again.
I´m getting closer, gotta stop breakin´ things. Took a wallop once where I spent a month
teaching myself to read again.

Hey RPS, I'm somewhat in the same boat, My TBI from 2008 and many Micro strokes from the TBI complications over 3years after it.
My balance was a mess for 6-7 years, slowly returned to a certain point. Just keep at it, I day at a time.

I have just started ebiking with MS. I have balance and cognitive issues and stuff and found hitting the park where i can dodge about without anyone around mostly lets me practise coming to a stop, moving off also things like even getting used to where the brakes and gears are so i'm not looking to grab the rear brake and doing a "superman" over the handle bars by accident. Things like that, just familiarising myself with stuff where i have nothing else to watch and can fully concentrate on getting fluent again. I find doing that also boosts my confidence witch makes things easier when i'm out and it's busy.
Well done you for having the "nuts" to get out and do it. It sounds easy to other people, and it is mostly. I know how it is when your not 100% confident too. It can be scary stuff sometimes. Big up you buddy! You're an inspiration... 👍

I can empathize. I guess I have early stage Parkinson's. Lots of tremors in the left hand and now beginning in the right. Pretty weird to deal with. But actually I can still do most of what I've always done. Writing is a problem though. When it's bad ( comes and goes ) I can't really work the keyboard. Have to go to hunt and peck one finger. But I'm not dead yet. I plan to enjoy bike riding right up to the end. And then I will meet my Lord. As will we all. 👍

I can empathize. I guess I have early stage Parkinson's. Lots of tremors in the left hand and now beginning in the right. Pretty weird to deal with. But actually I can still do most of what I've always done. Writing is a problem though. When it's bad ( comes and goes ) I can't really work the keyboard. Have to go to hunt and peck one finger. But I'm not dead yet. I plan to enjoy bike riding right up to the end. And then I will meet my Lord. As will we all. 👍
That’s the spirit brother! 👍

We’re dealt the car we’re dealt, let’s wring it’s neck till the wheels fall of the damn thing! 🖕@ being ill!

My sister's a severe brain injury survivor after her stalled car was rear-ended by a speeding semi-trailer. For the first few years post-injury, she couldn't drive and public transit in her town was sketchy at best. Unfortunately, ebikes/trikes were uncommon/unknown in these United States back then (early 1990s), but she made do unassisted. She got re-acquainted with pedaling, shifting and braking at a local park on weekdays when there aren't too many other people around.

Each and every one of you guys inspire me to throw my leg over the saddle and go at it again even if i fall off or crash or whatever... it may only be little old me but you're being an inspiration to someone.... and that's "something" to be proud of. Remember that! 💪💥💪

starting and stopping is the hardest. I fell early on several times, but got better after a few hundred miles. Wear all the protective gear. Maybe find somewhere you can just ride and not have to stop/start much?

I had a stroke in January 2019 and have been unable to ride any of my bikes except for a recumbent catrike700 which is fun but my goal is to get back on the road, gravel and mountain bikes. Getting the balance and hand dexterity has extremely difficult

I had a stroke in January 2019 and have been unable to ride any of my bikes except for a recumbent catrike700 which is fun but my goal is to get back on the road, gravel and mountain bikes. Getting the balance and hand dexterity has extremely difficult
A stroke is no little thing... you gotta start somewhere too though right buddy? I'm sure you'll get there you just got to keep with it. Getting started can sometimes be the hardest part too! 💪

Back