E bikes with fenders

MinnBobber

I got caught in the rain while playing pickleball yesterday, about 8 miles from home. 🌧️

My Stromer has full fenders and it made the ride home soooo much better to not get the full body wet racing stripes front and back !
It was, dare I say, actually a nice ride.

Cleaning the bike at home was still not nice though.

Big difference from my Serotta in the rain.

Kind of depends on where you are and what kind of riding you do.

If you ride in a dry climate there is limited benefit to fenders. On the other hand if you ride in soggy or muddy environments they are a Good Idea. And sometimes they just get in the way.

If I have a straight up mountain bike or road bike I wouldn't put fenders on it.

Kind of depends on where you are and what kind of riding you do.

If you ride in a dry climate there is limited benefit to fenders. On the other hand if you ride in soggy or muddy environments they are a Good Idea. And sometimes they just get in the way.

If I have a straight up mountain bike or road bike I wouldn't put fenders on it.
I suspect you wouldn't want to get caught in the rain or on a wet muddy road either.

I have full fenders on my bikes or at least mud guards. They are needed for transportation bikes, but not for fair weather sport rides. Many mountain riders will install stubby mud guards. They also deflect pebbles.
1691361829362.jpeg

I suspect you wouldn't want to get caught in the rain or on a wet muddy road either.
... but if you live someplace or are in some season where rain is pretty rare then fenders add little value. And they often get in the way.

The owners of "not equipped" e-bikes can easily apply a plastic blade temporary fenders. The most known brand is the AssSavers although many brands such as SKS make similar fenders.
1691430529298.png

The rear AssSavers is just tucked inside the saddle rails and fastened to the rails' front

1691430673735.png

A Mudder Dot front AssSavers mudguard. It is tucked between the fork crown and the tyre, and fastened with zip-ties.

While I keep the rear mudguard on my Vado SL (it is structurally joined with the rear rack, and has an integrated tail light), I removed the front fender from that e-bike long time ago (as it was not working good on forest paths: it was picking little twigs to suddenly stop the bike). I have used the Mudder Dot since, and am very happy. Certainly the AssSavers protects your face and torso against rainwater and mud!

And fenders are also useful for keeping FRESH cow flops and horse apples from covering you when riding the back trails, always hits you in the face, and when those 1/2" size rocks start smacking you in the shins and face, after be thrown up by the front Knobby tires, you'll be glad to have fenders.

My buddy with a Thule XTR Pro T2 rack called me today. His new Vado 5.0 IGH fell off the back onto the road while transporting and he needs some help cleaning it up.

Fenders are great when you need them.....but they are a pain in the ass with platform racks. In fact I had told him that it was not safe to carry his fender clad bikes on that platform rack. I'm not certain that it fell off the rack because of the fenders.....but I'd bet on it.

You are damned if you do or damned if you don't.

And fenders are also useful for keeping FRESH cow flops and horse apples from covering you when riding the back trails, always hits you in the face, and when those 1/2" size rocks start smacking you in the shins and face, after be thrown up by the front Knobby tires, you'll be glad to have fenders.
Headed out to the garage to hug my fenders. Not too hard though. Doesn't take much of a bump to start them scraping on the tires.

That is why I got this type of bike hauler, very HD, can remove any of the 1/2" bolts to make pockets for the wheel to sit into, 3' "No hook" ratchet straps around and over the steel carrier, MC soft wrap around the seat stem with 2- 4' ratchet straps to suck the bike down and hold into the carrier pockets and down the road I go.
I have over 600+ miles most all rough 4x4 roads hauling my 100# Warthog MD 750 bike and never a worry or problem.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018SCMIR4/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_22?smid=A2OSE6G7MS58ZO&psc=1,
and also got this longer folding ramp for easier loading,

YMMV

My buddy with a Thule XTR Pro T2 rack called me today. His new Vado 5.0 IGH fell off the back onto the road while transporting and he needs some help cleaning it up.

Fenders are great when you need them.....but they are a pain in the ass with platform racks. In fact I had told him that it was not safe to carry his fender clad bikes on that platform rack. I'm not certain that it fell off the rack because of the fenders.....but I'd bet on it.

You are damned if you do or damned if you don't.
As a kid I-we always removed the fenders. Jeez you had to look cool after all. Did we mind getting wet and dirty, NO we were kids.
Today for the kind of riding I do the fenders stay on. The little weight they add doesn't amount to a hill of beans especially with an ebike.

I am getting one of these. It will get a quiet mid-drive with torque sensor cargo motor. It will be all through frame with no connectors, have a HQ custom bottle battery, back swept bar, comfort grips, upgraded pedals, rack, and (drum roll) fenders.

Back