"E-bikes to face speed limits on popular Seattle trails"

ebikemom

It's interesting how this article is written. It says EBIKES will face speed limits. But, actually, everyone on the trail will have the same speed limit, not just ebikes. I don't understand what's new here, because one of the major trails discussed already has posted signs that say 15mph.

https://www.king5.com/article/news/...imits-on-popular-seattle-trails/281-585477235

Do note that if you use Seattle bike paths, there is a survey link at the end of the article. It's a nice little survey. Take it if you use Seattle bike paths. :)

Here also is the text of the article:

LOCAL

E-bikes to face speed limits on popular Seattle trails
The Burke-Gilman and Elliot Bay Trails are just a few trails where electric bikes will have to stay under 15 miles per hour.

Author: Amy Moreno
Published: 5:47 PM PDT August 18, 2018
Updated: 5:47 PM PDT August 18, 2018

E-bike riders will have to watch their speeds on five popular local trails under a new pilot program announced by the Seattle Parks Department.
Electric bikes must stay under 15 miles per hour on the Burke-Gilman Trail, Elliot Bay Trail, Mountains to Sound Trail, Melrose Connector Trail and Duwamish Trail.

It's still one of the best ways to beat the traffic. But with the expansion of bikeshare rides, both e-bike and regular, and the already large number of city bikers, trails are getting hectic for riders.

“There are lots of e-bikes and definitely they go pretty fast,” Galen Erickson said.

There was a time when not a lot of bikers would get on but these days they're reaching new audiences and with expansion comes growing pains.

“I think e-bikes, in general, are great; it's getting people out on bikes and that's fantastic. My mom is 65 years old and she rides 30 miles a day on an e-bike, she wouldn't be able to do that on a regular bike,” Erickson said.

A new state law classified e-bikes into three classes. Only class one and two will be allowed on trails, those are the ones that stop assisting riders at 20 miles per hour.

“I've ridden a few and they go pretty fast you can definitely cruise pretty fast it's almost car speed," Erickson said.
The parks department said enforcement would be complaint-driven and done by Seattle Police. Still, whenever it comes to bikes, there are those who say fewer regulations are better.

One rider said it’s important to keep people riding, “There's already a transportation issue with this city, so if people want to use bikes and they want to use bikes and go 20 instead of 15 and they want to use the trail as an alternate form of transportation; I'm all for it because traffic's a nightmare.”

The public is invited to participate in an online survey.

I find 15mph to be a reasonable speed on MUT’s and then only if there is a clear path. I hope they hold the other non e cyclists to the same ruling because I have ridden most of those trails and have seen plenty that don’t.

Along with ear buds and folks oblivious to their surroundings.

Yeah, it seems that there are signs, but no enforcement! I was a bit dismayed that the article headline implies that EBIKES face this limit, when actually it applies to ALL trail users, not just to ebikes.

Ive now kitted bikes from 15mph to 38mph. I’m good with those that want to risk life limb and family on a bike that rolls at more than twice the braking ability. But rather than slim the herd, the rest of us get repressive and dumb laws. I ought to be able to run the bike path at 30mph when it’s safe to do. As well as run stop signs after a safe review.

Enter the fast electric bike crowd with an anaracists (2nd grade understanding) view of how a civil society functions. And we get knee jerk legislation.

YMMV

On level terrain, the road bikers go whizzing by me all the time like I am standing still, even when I am peddling at my maximum assisted speed of 20 MPH. Most, but not all, are courteous and announce before overtaking. But IMO, their riding style is dangerous on a mixed use trail. So to me, speed limits may be justified, but they shouldn't apply to just e-bikes. I doubt if it would make any difference though, as I don't see any enforcement for other trail rules.

...I ought to be able to run the bike path at 30mph when it’s safe to do. As well as run stop signs after a safe review....

Okay, leeway for those having common sense and intelligence. How do we determine that level of smarts, and who meets the requirement? With even more government intervention.

You still have the freedom to break the law… when you consider it safe to do. But, if you screw up and cause harm, the judicial system can be hell.

Who the heck are they they're quoting in the article? I'm laughing at his "almost car speed" statement.

Who the heck are they they're quoting in the article? I'm laughing at his "almost car speed" statement.
I think they are quoting Thomas Jaszewski. "Ive now kitted bikes from 15mph to 38mph. I ought to be able to run the bike path at 30mph when it’s safe to do."

Okay, leeway for those having common sense and intelligence. How do we determine that level of smarts, and who meets the requirement? With even more government intervention.

You still have the freedom to break the law… when you consider it safe to do. But, if you screw up and cause harm, the judicial system can be hell.
Someone is going to be the test dummy and get splattered onthe roadway. The company that sold the 35mph eBike with 20mph Wisconsin brakes will lose all in a court judgement. Time and time again we see the need for blood onthe pavement for a decision. With any karma it’ll be one of the bullies pushing high speed bikes with itll be a great market shakeup and another lunge forward for the OEM builders with consistent values and interest in customer well being.

As things usually tend to evolve in the US, the actions of the irresponsible few could eventually lead to the Euro 250-watt limit being imposed on assisted 'bicycles'. eBikes having more power might be considered Mopeds and likely require registration and licen$ing, and be more regulated.

So you allow a 20 mph (Class 1 and 2) bike on the MUT with a 15 mph limit but not a 28 mph Class 3? I did fill out the survey. Luckily, there are no markings on my bike that indicate Class 3 and since I ride around 15 mph, slower in heavier pedestrian areas, I am not concerned. Enforced by the police? Um, sure. Because we are in a low crime area and the police have time on their hands to do this - not.

So you allow a 20 mph (Class 1 and 2) bike on the MUT with a 15 mph limit but not a 28 mph Class 3? I did fill out the survey. Luckily, there are no markings on my bike that indicate Class 3 and since I ride around 15 mph, slower in heavier pedestrian areas, I am not concerned. Enforced by the police? Um, sure. Because we are in a low crime area and the police have time on their hands to do this - not.
Seems I recall the article saying something about how enforcement would be "complaint driven." So, cause no complaints and ride what you like. ;)

I love this discussion. I'm a very senior citizen here in NZ (72 in a few weeks). I've been riding since I was 10 and I can still remember back then we used to exceed 30mph down the hill from school every day without any assist and nobody ever got a ticket. When I bought an Ebike this year my spec was a bike with the Brose S motor which I knew was good for assistance up to 45kph (27 mph). Before making the purchase I figured out how to trick the controller that crank cadence is wheel rpm (its actually approx 50%) so no speed cutout on my bike. I agree entirely with Amy and Bruce as above and I don't want to be restricted to speeds way slower than I have ridden an unassisted bike all my life.

I love this discussion. I'm a very senior citizen here in NZ (72 in a few weeks). I've been riding since I was 10 and I can still remember back then we used to exceed 30mph down the hill from school every day without any assist and nobody ever got a ticket. When I bought an Ebike this year my spec was a bike with the Brose S motor which I knew was good for assistance up to 45kph (27 mph). Before making the purchase I figured out how to trick the controller that crank cadence is wheel rpm (its actually approx 50%) so no speed cutout on my bike. I agree entirely with Amy and Bruce as above and I don't want to be restricted to speeds way slower than I have ridden an unassisted bike all my life.
The problem is all too many people love a "cause" to give them something to do and somewhere to vent their anger over their useless and inconsequential lives. So out comes the righteous anger if someone dares rides 16mph in a 15mph zone.

The people I detest are those who stand/walk/ride 3-4 abreast in the middle of a trail and then give you dirty looks if you ring your bell to get them to move out of the way.

The people I detest are those who stand/walk/ride 3-4 abreast in the middle of a trail and then give you dirty looks if you ring your bell to get them to move out of the way.

Ha ha. For some reason, I haven't seen much of that this year. Used to be my main beef.

I started using the old stye jingle-jingle bells with the rotating clapper from Walmart. I get a lot of compliments from people I pass. Reminds people of when they were kids.

Back