E-bike that seats two but not tandem

secondsun

Looking for an electric bike that seats two, but not tandem. Like motorcycle type seating. And I guess powerful enough to move two people pretty easily. Thanks for the tips!

I'm 160lbs and my gf is 140lbs so I guess about 300lbs total. Also, we're both trying to go to the gym regularly so hopefully less over the next few months. ?

I've heard because of center of gravity and hardware limitations you can't just add a companion seat to any bike. Is this not true?

I'm 160lbs and my gf is 140lbs so I guess about 300lbs total. Also, we're both trying to go to the gym regularly so hopefully less over the next few months. ?

I've heard because of center of gravity and hardware limitations you can't just add a companion seat to any bike. Is this not true?
I think most people riding two-up are adult plus kid. I don't think many ebikes will handle 300 pounds well. Some cargo bikes have options for a padded seat on the cargo rack. Maybe that could handle the weight.

Other stretch cargo bikes with a rear seat & a foot rest are yubabikes.com and xtracycle.com. Yuba has both a padded shelf accessory and a handlebar that clamps onto the seat stem. The footrests are standard, part of the pannier support system. The "monkey bars" shown in the radwagon picture are a standard yuba accessory. My yuba bike is left, but the motor and battery were my own installation. Yuba sells a mid drive, and I prefer to pedal 2.5 hours twice a week. Geared hub drive allows that without penalty of dragging the motor with my pedal force.
My bodaboda allows a 100 kilo rider and another 100 kilo for the cargo, only 40 of which can be behind the back axle. I carry 60-80 lb of supplies in the pianniers regularly, up short steep grades. Love those disk brakes that actually work in the rain.

I'd like to see a video of that gal getting into that Rad Wagon restraint tubing! She must have been a gymnast before having the kid!! When I read about two up, I always think about this image!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-03 at 12.48.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-03 at 12.48.10 PM.png
    455.7 KB · Views: 1,092
Court reviewed and e-bike with dual motor and has a long banana seat like motorcycles. If you look at his videos you may see it. That can fit for you.

I'd like to see a video of that gal getting into that Rad Wagon restraint tubing! She must have been a gymnast before having the kid!! When I read about two up, I always think about this image!
Love the photo lol . That's why in Japan most baby seats are on handlebar so kids don't need to stare at mom's b.tt all the time.

Pick an ebike you like, with the power you want and add a Companion Bike Seat.

https://www.thebikeseat.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

I'm reviving this thread because I'm wondering whether the Companion bike seat will work with any bike. I have a Flash V1 with an Aluminum Alloy frame. The manufacturer stated the total max weight is 300 lbs. My gf and I are around 280 total, but I'm wondering whether the weight of an adult on the Companion Seat has any chance of breaking the frame or, perhaps more likely, breaking spokes on my back wheel with potholes.

Has anyone tried this? I'll try it once I've gotten good use out of my ebike.

Last edited:
The manufacturer stated the total max weight is 300 lbs
Is that gross vehicle weight? Bike + rider + payload?

My gf and I are around 280 total, but I'm wondering whether the weight of an adult on the Companion Seat has any chance of breaking the frame or, perhaps more likely, breaking spokes on my back wheel with potholes.
Any chance? Sure.

I would try to stay within the manufacturer's specified limits. There are bikes that can handle the weight. Even with a bike designed to handle the weight, cargo and or passenger you should expect more maintenance and shorter life expectancy of bike, components, and accessories. A pickup truck used to haul hay, seed and feed on a farm will never last as long as the guy just commuting with his pickup truck.

Is that gross vehicle weight? Bike + rider + payload?

Any chance? Sure.

I would try to stay within the manufacturer's specified limits. There are bikes that can handle the weight. Even with a bike designed to handle the weight, cargo and or passenger you should expect more maintenance and shorter life expectancy of bike, components, and accessories. A pickup truck used to haul hay, seed and feed on a farm will never last as long as the guy just commuting with his pickup truck.

The manufacturer stated that "the max rider weight with bike and cargo is 300 lbs."

I'm okay with extra maintenance (though I wouldn't have a passenger all of the time), but I don't want to total the bike over experimenting with the seat, especially because others seem to be experimenting with their bikes and may have more accurate information.

The manufacturer stated that "the max rider weight with bike and cargo is 300 lbs."

I'm okay with extra maintenance (though I wouldn't have a passenger all of the time), but I don't want to total the bike over experimenting with the seat, especially because others seem to be experimenting with their bikes and may have more accurate information.
Manufacturers usually spec gross vehicle weight. Sounds like that's what they told you. The Flash bike weighs 49 pounds, that leaves 251 pounds for rider, accessories (passenger seat) and all cargo including the passenger. That's if you want to stay within specs.

Steel bikes with rigid forks from days gone by wouldn't have a problem. Still there are well built aluminum bikes with diamond frames designed for higher weight capacity. Your Flash bike does not have a diamond frame and really doesn't seem designed to carry heavy loads.

A broken frame, especially at the steering stem weld, can ruin your whole life. Imagine pitching forwards at 20 mph onto a pile of sharp metal.
My yubabike bodaboda has weight limit of 100 kilo rider, 100 kilo load, 40 kg behind rear axle. I've had it up to 400 lb with groceries & tools in the pannier, no problem. No stretched spokes. They cost more than radwagon, and don't have 17 complaints about loose spokes on the known problems thread like rad either.
Even heavier duty steel frames are available from surlybikes. They have a stretch cargo model.

Last edited:
Back