E-Bike rack and hitch possible on my car?

jolo100

Region
USA
Can anyone give me some suggestions. I was at E-Bike USA in Denver, ready to purchase my E-Bike but there is a issue with getting a e-bike rack for my 2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type S rack for my car. Apparently, I can only get a to 1 1/4" class 1 hitch for the car.
Thank you

Last edited:
You may want to give us the exact model and year of your Acura...

You might check with U-Haul and see what they can do as far as installing a hitch. Once you have a hitch (aka receiver) you just need to find a rack you like. Be careful to choose one made for a 1 1/4" receiver. There are plenty out there. There are adapters that let you use 2" racks on a 1 1/4" receiver. but they extend the bike back further from the car and will cause it to bounce more. Not a good idea. Look on Amazon, E-Trailer, REI, for bike racks.

TT

Looks like you are out of luck and limited to 1 1/4 in in size with max total load of 200Lb
The size is not a big issue as long as the total weight works for the carrier and bikes weight

If your e-bike weight is below 50Lb, you should look into the one below, they are extremely sturdy, and modular.
The base unit takes a single bike, and you can add a second bike adapter later if needed.

Not many choices once you limit it to class 1 and the weight of a typical ebike. If your bike has fenders the EasyFold is a good but pricy option. The Thule T1 works if the wheel mount works for your bike.

Can anyone give me some suggestions. I was at E-Bike USA in Denver, ready to purchase my E-Bike but there is a issue with getting a e-bike rack for my 2003 Acura TL 3.2 Type S rack for my car. Apparently, I can only get a to 1 1/4" class 1 hitch for the car.
Thank you
My car only has a 1 1/4" hitch. Since I am not using the car for towing, I put in a 1.25" to 2" adapter in that is also a riser (you really do not want the rack near the ground, which often happens).

To all intents and purposes you will not find a 1 1/4" rack that is stressed for an ebike. They just don't exist.

img_20200624_171553.jpg

Here is my hitch adapter. Its REALLY sturdy and is much, much shorter than an adapter that does not have a riser. It is rated for a tongue weight of 350 lbs so no issue there. Notice I also used a hitch tightener. I use another one on the other connection to the rack. Rattle free on the highway and well up off the ground.

81r62HcsqIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
PXL_20210904_203204206.jpg

The rack is still $173 at Summit Racing. Everywhere else it has increased to about $350. Motorcycle rack rated to 400 lbs. Totally different world than ebike racks costing hundreds more that you still are barely within spec on for weight limits.

This is a great choice for single occasional bike.
There are some drawbacks for regular mountain bikers, like
  • Single bike
  • No real security solution if bike stays on rack unattended
  • No folding if wishing to leave the rack on all the time.
  • No tilting if interference with the Hatch.

But for the price and sturdiness, it is worth considering how important are the above :)

Here is my hitch adapter. Its REALLY sturdy and is much, much shorter than an adapter that does not have a riser. It is rated for a tongue weight of 350 lbs so no issue there. Notice I also used a hitch tightener. I use another one on the other connection to the rack. Rattle free on the highway and well up off the ground.
The tongue weight capacity for 1 1/4" receivers is 100 to 200 pounds, but that's limited by the capacity of the vehicle. You can put an hitch extender on that has a capacity of a million pounds but it won't help. Your extender won't break but the receiver might, or the frame of the car might bend.

TT

I'm so lost on this. I just got a quote from a local hitch company to install a Yakima 1.25 onramp e-bike rack.

Then I saw two, a Single and double e-bike racks from Ride1Up that supposedly works with 1.25".

There are adapters for 1.25 to 2, however, a local hitch company told me to avoid them as I would wreck my car and to look for it 1.25 racks.

I just don't know what is the truth on these or if I just need to give up on getting an e-bike.

I don't think there is any issue using an adapter if done properly.
I would use one that does not extend too much like the one mentioned above (#10 post).
If there is any play between the 1.25" hitch and the 2" adapter I would add some aluminum Shims, and I would bolt in on tight (not just pinned).

Then as long as you don't exceed the max load of the 1.25" hitch, you should not have any issue.

I would use one that does not extend too much like the one mentioned above (#10 post).
If there is any play between the 1.25" hitch and the 2" adapter I would add some aluminum Shims, and I would bolt in on tight (not just pinned).

Then as long as you don't exceed the max load of the 1.25" hitch, you should not have any issue.
And the maximun

That your for posting that adapter.
It appears that the limit is 200 pounds then first to 100 pounds for an adapter?
A e-bike and rack would be about 100 pounds.

I do have to mention that I am a senior who isn't particularly handy (handy challenged😄) and whatever I might get would be installed by a hitch company. Without a way to safely load my e-bike on my car, I'm out of luck.
The e-bike company that I have been working with hasn't been helpful. "We're a bike company and don't know anything about hitches" even though they sell and install the $850 Thule with the 2".

And the maximun

It appears that the limit is 200 pounds then first to 100 pounds for an adapter?

I do have to mention that I am a senior who isn't particularly handy (handy challenged😄) and whatever I might get would be installed by a hitch company. Without a way to safely load my e-bike on my car, I'm out of luck.
The e-bike company that I have been working with hasn't been helpful. "We're a bike company and don't know anything about hitches" even though they sell and install the $850 Thule with the 2".
Jolo100, I ran into the same problem as you in trying to find a hitch and rack that would be secure for my Toyota Yaris, 1-1/4” / Class 1. I finally gave up because I really didn’t have many options on racks that I liked and didn’t have a lot of wobble. So instead, I will be focusing on getting folding bikes, with one fitting on the back seat and the other one in the trunk.

And the maximun

Don't know what you meant by "And the maximum"
The 1.25" Hitch is rated for max 200Lb of load
The 1.25" to 2" Adapter shown above in post #10 is rated for 350Lb
Bike racks are usually around 25Lb (1 up) to 50Lb (yakima, thule 2...)
This means you can carry a bike load of up to 200 - 50 = 150Lb
A single E-bike will be way below that, so you have no problems on load capacity, even with the adapter.

If you are getting an installer to install the adapter and rack, and if you chose a 2" rack that requires installing the adapter, just ask them to secure the adapter to the Hitch permanently and tightly with a bolt and lock nut.
When you get the car, with the rack off the hitch, check that when shaking the adapter it does not wobble inside the Hitch.

Don't know what you meant by "And the maximum"
The 1.25" Hitch is rated for max 200Lb of load
The 1.25" to 2" Adapter shown above in post #10 is rated for 350Lb
Bike racks are usually around 25Lb (1 up) to 50Lb (yakima, thule 2...)
This means you can carry a bike load of up to 200 - 50 = 150Lb
A single E-bike will be way below that, so you have no problems on load capacity, even with the adapter.

If you are getting an installer to install the adapter and rack, and if you chose a 2" rack that requires installing the adapter, just ask them to secure the adapter to the Hitch permanently and tightly with a bolt and lock nut.
When you get the car, with the rack off the hitch, check that when shaking the adapter it does not wobble inside the Hitch.
Are you sure about that Scrambler? Because if you read the side of that adapter in Post #10 it says,”Maximum Tongue weight is the LOWEST of the following:
1. 50% of your trailer hitch tongue weight or
2. Tongue weight marking of this product (350lbs)

Good catch, and interesting that they do not mention that anywhere else...
This would make it reduce the load to 100Lb.
So a single bike rack with a weight around 25Lb, which would allow for up to 75Lb of e-bike, and a 50Lb bike rack would allow a 50Lb e-bike.
That said, I would be surprised if this adapter could not take at least 125 / 150Lb, so I would imagine you could use it with a 50Lb rack and a single e-bike.
But it may be worth reviewing a few other models to see what they specify....

Back