E-bike for a VERY extended trip...

A long distance conventional bike trip and a long distance e-bike trip are really two different beasts regarding gear, planning, spares, stop points, charge points, spares, etc...

There is a good write-up on another forum of a guy who rode West Coast from Wa State to Ca state all e-bike with planned stopping points along the way.
It is probably more of an engineering challenge as well as a physical challenge, and a logistics challenge. It is the engineering challenge and adventure I would enjoy most about a long haul ebike trip.
Working out the parts/spares/math/e-bike-math for such a trip would be pretty cool stuff.

GL>

I'm more of a backpacker at heart. The method of travel is more the means than the end for me. I'll be away from civilization for some long stretches, so the maintenance issue is a huge factor. A breakdown on an e-bike could be a crippling setback, whereas an issue with a mechanical bike would just be damned inconvenient. If I was thinking about a few months, I'd probably roll the dice and try an e-bike, but I'm thinking more along the lines of staying out two years, which I think would be asking a lot of an e-bike.

For the people who were curious about route, the only definite decision I've made so far is that I'll be flying the bike to Fairbanks, AK and starting from there, probably in late May (of 2018, yeah, I'm planning way ahead of time). Denali is going to be the first stop. Lots of National Parks and National Monuments, and a lot of back roads, rails to trails, and singletrack tying it all together. :)

What an amazing challenge! With an Ebike you need to have alternative ways to charge the battery and you have to allow for performance degradation due to colder temps! A combo of old fashioned leg power is going to be essential for you along with some boost from electric over the long haul. I'm putting my thinking cap on for this one and sending out calls to others with experience. A couple of questions for you: what's the coldest weather you'll be riding in and for how long? and how much clear sunlight will you have during the most northern part of your ride--that will help determine how well some solar charging will work for your expedition.

@Mark Troup, sounds like quite an adventure. I read a blog related to an individual who completed a long trip in Australia on an electric fat tire bike pulling a trailer. He was off road much of the time and used solar panels to recharge. The motor used was a Bafang mid drive. Interesting blog. It seems like a major factor in bike choice is whether one is really off road or not and the roughness of the terrain. It sounded as though a fat tire bike can come in useful if the terrrair is really rough. The downside with bigger tires is that is slows you down.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?doc_id=16429

Here is another blog from a guy who went from Vancouver to the arctic on a non electric recumbent. He used much thinner tires and has advice on bike type and tires. His comments related to handlebar type seem relevant. Drop bars provide many more hand positions for long rides.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?doc_id=5881

Perhaps you could convince an ebike manufacturer to give you a steep discount on an ebike in exchange for documenting your trip on their bike in a blog?

Another option would be to identify the right bike and then modify it with an add-on kit from a vendor who will support you remotely in the event you have problems with it on your journey. With a kit you can also choose the battery or batteries that will meet your distance requirements. Here's another link related to a trip on cargo bikes from Vancouver to San Francisco on the Grin Technologies website. I believe they sell quite a few kit types and an electric cargo bike. They also sell a high amperage charger that you could use for quicker charging.

http://www.ebikes.ca/news/Tour-of-Cascadia-Vancouver-to-Maker-Faire-SF/

As to the weather/daylight question, I'm route planning to stay above freezing, but I'm sure I'll have more than a few sub 32-degree days. The most daylight I'll see will probably be about 20 hours a day for the first couple of weeks of the trip. Route will be partially paved, but include a lot of gravel, dirt, and some singletrack. I don't expect to see a lot of super hardcore offroad, but I'm not ruling it out yet either.

As a side note, I just wanted to say that long distance treks are something that almost anyone can do, both in terms of your fitness level and your budget. People kept telling me when I hiked cross country, "oh, I could never do that!" My answer was always, "Sure you could. Pregnant women did it in the 1800s." You just start slow and get fit on the way. And it can really be done quite cheaply, if you're willing to make some sacrifices. On my 8-month hike I camped every night but one, when I had finished a grueling section between Tucson and Deming and "treated myself" to a $40 motel room. It was kind of a dump, but to me it was like the Four Seasons.

Anyone can do this type of thing. And should. And sooner than later. You'll never feel so free or alive in your whole life as when your worries have been reduced to basic human necessities and your next destination.

The other thing I heard all the time was to watch out! for all those scary bad people out there. Long story short, they essentially don't exist. 99% of the people you'll meet are awesome. It will renew your faith in humanity. Even the scary critters are awesome. I came across rattlers, black widows, gila monsters, mountain lions, scorpions, javelina... and they were all super cool experiences.

Anyway, blah, blah, blah... Just go for it. You'll be hooked.

As a member of the rat-race for the past 24 years, I envy your trek.

Please keep us pencil pushers, and office chair riders appraised of your cool trip...... perhaps one of the last few earthly budget friendly exploration challenges available today.... that is not regulated, taxed, or processed by some corporation, or gov't..... (yet). ;)

I can only imagine the critical or non-critical thinking that takes place on a multi-month trek like this. I get a small fraction of this feeling... on my pre-dawn 20 miles rides in the dark.... seeing havolina's, deer, skunk, owls, etc....... on my trek. I actually look forward to meeting each of these creatures around each bend where they are know to frequent.

Please keep us posted.... and if you don't mind. post up any tip/tricks to make this happen. there are probably many more who have an interest in dup at least a small part of this journey.

I recently completed a long cross country trek on foot. Started in Santa Monica, CA and backpacked to Myrtle Beach, SC. It was an eight month hike carrying 50+ lbs, camping the whole way. It was simultaneously the best and worst time of my life. It got to a point where I just dreaded putting on that heavy pack each morning. I cannot wait to do another long trip like this but I don't think I want to go on foot this time. I think it would be a lot more fun with wheels and panniers, and have been looking at e-bikes. I'm planning on staying out somewhere between 18-24 months and covering about 6000 miles, possibly more.

I've been looking at all categories of e-bikes, but keep coming back to fat bikes as I'm planning to do a lot more trail riding than road riding. And "trail" may be a fairly generous term--a lot of the ridingwill be on stuff you could barely consider a trail. There will be a lot of poorly maintained service roads out west, along with sections of open desert. I don't expect to be riding through a ton of wet weather or snow, but I'll probably face both at one time or another. I'll be carrying a second battery for extra range.

My big questions are how to pull this off with the fewest hiccups. A mid-drive seems to make sense for the extra torque and less maintenance, as well as ease of maintenance of flats, etc. but the mids seem soooo much more expensive than the geared hub motors. I could just burn through three Sand Vipers for the price of a Felt Outfitter!

I'm also not opposed to a mountain bike (as opposed to fat bike) or doing a custom build myself with components. Anyway, I thought I'd throw the idea out here and see what you guys think, and what obvious problems I'm completely overlooking. I don't think charging will be a problem. I had to charge different electronics on my backpacking trip and was always able to get by, although it goes without saying that I'd rather spend 3.5 hours charging a battery than 6 hours. Thanks for any advice.
----------------------
Don't get a bike like the Sand Viper for that trip. I rode a couple of em ... fun around town, and might be fun on wet sand near the water's edge, the poor handling and heaviness is a bummer. The bike isn't all that powerful, and is so heavy to pedal even with no added load when battery power isn't there I'd pass on it (and did) for sure.

I wanted a bike I could ride like a regular one, and get added boost when needed ... this bike NEEDS the motor boost just to get around unless its downhill. The over 60 pound weight, plus the drag of those huge fat tires is a killer on hills if the motor isn't at full boost. The bike goes pretty well IF full boost is used with some pedaling effort, but from what I could learn, the actual range is only around 15 miles without pedaling all the time.

Get a regular mountain bike setup with similar motor and a larger 15ah battery if you can, and you will be better off for what you need.

If you go the heavier ebike route, something like this might be the way to go as it would distribute weight more and charge the battery as you ride or when you rest:
http://www.ridethesolarwind.be/en/

slide2.jpg

I pulled the trigger on a Surly ECR. Going to add a Rohloff to the rear and a SON28 dynamo up front and run front and rear racks with panniers. A lot of the routes I was looking at pretty much ruled out an e-bike, simply because of the range. Starting from Deadhorse, Alaska and taking the Dalton Highway south, for example, I'd be looking at about 300 miles before I hit any civilization at all at Coldfoot, Alaska. That's an extreme example, but 100 miles between services will be pretty common. I love the idea of e-bikes, but for this trip, I think a good old steel hardtail with squishy 3" tires is gonna be a good call.

I pulled the trigger on a Surly ECR. Going to add a Rohloff to the rear and a SON28 dynamo up front and run front and rear racks with panniers. A lot of the routes I was looking at pretty much ruled out an e-bike, simply because of the range. Starting from Deadhorse, Alaska and taking the Dalton Highway south, for example, I'd be looking at about 300 miles before I hit any civilization at all at Coldfoot, Alaska. That's an extreme example, but 100 miles between services will be pretty common. I love the idea of e-bikes, but for this trip, I think a good old steel hardtail with squishy 3" tires is gonna be a good call.

I bet the Surly with that neat geared hub does everything you want and need. I just seems that without lots of convenient places to recharge, the e-bike is more trouble than the added convenience of the motor is worth.

Congratulations Mark. Surly is top of the line, and should take the abuse. I would avoid a specialty item like the Rohloff. Getting parts will be a problem in remote areas. OTOH you can buy any old derailleur anywhere.

Kind of a personal preference, but those handlebars limit you to one seating position. It's nice to relieve pressure by having multiple hand positions during long trips.

I went to bull bars with two sets of brakes.. Upright and forward positions

Congratulations Mark. Surly is top of the line, and should take the abuse. I would avoid a specialty item like the Rohloff. Getting parts will be a problem in remote areas. OTOH you can buy any old derailleur anywhere.

Kind of a personal preference, but those handlebars limit you to one seating position. It's nice to relieve pressure by having multiple hand positions during long trips.
---------

Don't worry about the Rohlof hub! It will be WAY less trouble than any derailer system! I have a bike with the Shimano Nexus 8spd, and its totally trouble free, no worry with derailer hitting things while riding or transport, its sealed against elements, and shifts instantly.

I went to bull bars with two sets of brakes.. Upright and forward positions

Back