Drones on a Bike

Surrey Pete

Region
Canada
There seem to be a number of posters that use drones to take photos while biking, especially using " follow " modes. Tons available for the older DJI controller but not much for the RC controller. I've always had issues with the available mounts that seem flimsy and hold the RC controller with just 2 small screws. Finally found this one which to me is the perfect solution. Downside is it has to be ordered from Germany but since it's Amazon it only took a week for it to arrive.I've added the youtube video that explains it ( it's in German but a picture is worth a thousand words...). The video also has the link to the mount on Amazon. I used it today and at no time did it feel like the controller was going to fall off so I thought I'd share the info for anyone interested. Thx.

Screen Shot 2023-03-22 at 1.26.33 PM.png

3D printed in what looks like PLA. If it is, PLA, don't expect it to last long. Their printer could probably use some maintenance as well.

Quad lock bike mount and one of their external connectors that you can 3m tape to the back of the remote. Or a skydio with a beacon

There seem to be a number of posters that use drones to take photos while biking, especially using " follow " modes. Tons available for the older DJI controller but not much for the RC controller. I've always had issues with the available mounts that seem flimsy and hold the RC controller with just 2 small screws. Finally found this one which to me is the perfect solution. Downside is it has to be ordered from Germany but since it's Amazon it only took a week for it to arrive.I've added the youtube video that explains it ( it's in German but a picture is worth a thousand words...). The video also has the link to the mount on Amazon. I used it today and at no time did it feel like the controller was going to fall off so I thought I'd share the info for anyone interested. Thx.
Excellent and thanks for sharing. I’m currently using a modified Mini 2 mount with a Ram Tough Claw and it holds on to the bar like a vise grip.

IMG_20220707_1755227.jpgGOPR1700 - Copy.JPG
Do you feel that the clamp for this mount will hold up over time? I do like how it’s secured to the controller without the need for a tether. The Mini 3 controller with integrated display would be much lighter (albeit more costly) than my current Mini 2 setup rather than using my phone as a screen but, IMO, would be a worthy upgrade. Active track on the Mini Pro 3 looks amazing and once the SDK for it is released (supposedly in April) I think that it will be the ultimate micro drone. Look forward to any further updates on this particular mount for the 3.

Last edited:
It is 3D printed so I'm not well versed in how these things will hold up. Just find that of all the mounts I've seen online that are specific to the DJI RC remote this one seems to be the most secure and the controller doesn't wobble at all.. It clamps firmly without using any screws. And the price is right............

Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 8.15.28 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 8.15.28 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-07-29 at 8.15.28 PM.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 85
The layer bonding on it, if the picture is the one you received, isn't very good. If it's going to fail, it's going to start to delaminate in the middle. If it is PLA, don't get it wet, PLA doesn't take well to being wet. PLA is also very brittle, and not UV stabilized. If I were printing something like that, I would have done it in either PETG or ABS. If I would do it in ABS, I would have run it through an acetone mist to smooth and strengthen it.

Regardless, it’s currently the only sturdy bracket mount that appears to be custom made for the DJI RC. If @Surrey Pete is like me, the mount will only be on the bars for a brief period during shoots.

I can’t fathom anyone wanting to fly their drone in the rain either so it likely won’t be exposed to water. For a made to fit mount, the cost is quite reasonable.

Regardless, it’s currently the only sturdy bracket mount that appears to be custom made for the DJI RC. If @Surrey Pete is like me, the mount will only be on the bars for a brief period during shoots.

I can’t fathom anyone wanting to fly their drone in the rain either so it likely won’t be exposed to water. For a made to fit mount, the cost is quite reasonable.
What he said.......

I realize it's not a perfect solution but seemed like the best I could source online. Maybe down the road someone could find something better. That's why I started this thread. If you do use a drone while biking you're aware of the limited options for mounting the RC controller whereas there's a ton for the regular controller. If someone finds something better that doesn't involve buying a 3D printer let us know.

In the meantime here's the link for the one from Germany:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B0B3JNNLVL/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Screen Shot 2022-09-19 at 3.44.42 PM.jpg

The Pro 3 has so many great features such as spot light and parallel tracking. My only concern would be targeting an assigned subject but once under cover say beneath a tree canopy there is a greater risk of losing visual line of sight of said target when flying farther or at higher elevations. I’m puzzled as to why DJI didn’t incorporate software in house on the Mini Pro 3 to resolve this? Your thoughts @Surrey Pete?

That being said, the active track technology built into this latest iteration is still amazing when shooting close opps at ground level due to the forward and rear obstacle sensors. Once DJI releases the software development kit for the Pro 3, third party apps such as Litchi will be able to overcome the tracking issue with their own follow me mode which enables the drone to home in on the signal of the RC/phone rather than locking onto the subject so pilots will have the benefit of both tracking modes. 👍

The Pro 3 has so many great features such as spot light and parallel tracking. My only concern would be targeting an assigned subject but once under cover say beneath a tree canopy there is a greater risk of losing visual line of sight of said target when flying farther or at higher elevations. I’m puzzled as to why DJI didn’t incorporate software in house on the Mini Pro 3 to resolve this? Your thoughts @Surrey Pete?

That being said, the active track technology built into this latest iteration is still amazing when shooting close opps at ground level due to the forward and rear obstacle sensors. Once DJI releases the software development kit for the Pro 3, third party apps such as Litchi will be able to overcome the tracking issue with their own follow me mode which enables the drone to home in on the signal of the RC/phone rather than locking onto the subject so pilots will have the benefit of both tracking modes. 👍
There's lots of videos on youtube that cover the concerns you raised. I've only done the follow mode a few times since I never had a controller mount until this week. From what I've seen online the drone can lose you under certain conditions. I'm guessing you'd probably need side sensors to be fully functional around trees but at least when it does lose sight it stops rather than crashes.

There's lots of videos on youtube that cover the concerns you raised. I've only done the follow mode a few times since I never had a controller mount until this week. From what I've seen online the drone can lose you under certain conditions. I'm guessing you'd probably need side sensors to be fully functional around trees but at least when it does lose sight it stops rather than crashes.
What is so appealing about the Pro 3 is it's ability to track a moving subject at close range and at near ground level, something that it's predecessor is unable to do because of the lack of forward/rear sensors. I agree that parallel tracking is still somewhat flawed due to no side sensors but in an open environment it would work just fine.

Back