Downhill ebike

Wagonrd

My Santa Cruz Bullitt, full suspension, with a Luna Cycle BBSHD kit motor. 2.8"tires, a 24" front wheel to give sufficient clearance for the DNM fork to articulate and not contact the battery. A 58lb bike that can go anywhere I have the courage to tackle.

Attachments

• 20200117_110905.jpg
    20200117_110905.jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 2,641
Woah, a 5th Element, that's a wayback machine.... ;)
Yes, it's old technology, but works great. The interesting thing is that the bike is 14 lbs lighter than my m2s all terrain ultra fs x 1 fat tire ebike, and the bafang BBSHD 1000 watt motor conquers any hill.

Yes, it's old technology, but works great. The interesting thing is that the bike is 14 lbs lighter than my m2s all terrain ultra fs x 1 fat tire ebike, and the bafang BBSHD 1000 watt motor conquers any hill.
so will the BBS02B 750W, just need better use of gears when running.

Reactions: JRA
so will the BBS02B 750W, just need better use of gears when running.
Yes. The problem with most ebikes is that they are geared for level pavement riding. So when you get on an uphill dirt road you come to a halt. Of course the $6k plus MTB's with 2.8" tires are an exception. Also, when the battery runs out of juice and shuts down, pedaling an ebike is difficult to impossible because of the drag of the dead motor. Only an ebike with a granny gear can be pedaled when the battery is dead; which is why boxcomponents.com is really raking in the dough with 50 teeth geared cassettes. It's a fairly blunt conclusion to realize that hard core mountain bike riders stick with light weight, full suspension, leg powered bikes. Off road ebikers soon learn, the hard way, that they need to stick to hard packed forest service roads.

pedaling an ebike is difficult to impossible because of the drag of the dead motor.
SImply not a universal fact. Can I easily pedal any of my BBS01, BBS02 bikes. I agree gearing can be an issue, but with the range of available cassettes, hill-climbing issues can be overcome. While 36T chainrings can be difficult when kitting with BBSxx motors, The newer Lekkie 40T kit and a wide range cassette can make one nice billy goat. BUT IMO when push comes to shove many motors and batteries especially batteries aren't designed for rough single track use. SIngle track is where the Luna epoxy encased batteries are best used.

Thanks for the link!

SImply not a universal fact. Can I easily pedal any of my BBS01, BBS02 bikes. I agree gearing can be an issue, but with the range of available cassettes, hill-climbing issues can be overcome. While 36T chainrings can be difficult when kitting with BBSxx motors, The newer Lekkie 40T kit and a wide range cassette can make one nice billy goat. BUT IMO when push comes to shove many motors and batteries especially batteries aren't designed for rough single track use. SIngle track is where the Luna epoxy encased batteries are best used.

Thanks for the link!
Thanks for your comments Thomas. I tend to forget that there are MTB'ers out there with godzilla legs, hearts and lungs. At age 86+, I just don't have the ompf that I did at 30, all hills just take more time to climb.

Thanks for your comments Thomas. I tend to forget that there are MTB'ers out there with godzilla legs, hearts and lungs. At age 86+, I just don't have the ompf that I did at 30, all hills just take more time to climb.
Older than snot here too! I go for all the mechanical advantages I can find!

Back