Does this forum need regional split?

For this forum which is not generally segmented geographically, the best solution here is to use tagging. However trying to get people to use tags consistently is no small challenge. Every little bit helps though.

The importance of following regional rules. Lots of bikes being crushed.

I was going to suggest a favorited forum post in the Laws & Regulations forum with links to all the region rules or laws, but after skimming that one for the UK, I realize why people give up on those and come here. Could still be useful to have a Wiki or something summarizing laws/rules for various regions (and sub regions/cities). With reference links to the government sites. But then we're talking a lot of work.

To be fair, you really only need to know the headline differences. Non-compliant bikes are almost always very non-compliant.

For example, a UK/EU checklist would be something like:
  1. Make sure it's pedal assistance. Any form of throttle or propulsion without peddling isn't legal.
  2. Motor power has to be marked on the motor. Look for a EN15194 sticker. Maximum motor output is 250w, no marking, walk away.
  3. There should be no pedal assistance over 15.5mph/25Kph
  4. Buy from a reputable source, not eBay/Amazon/Alibaba
Follow those rules and you would have to be very unlucky to be on the wrong side of the law.

Example EPAC label. This may be on the bike frame or the motor. This is the easiest way to establish legality in the UK and EU.

PXL_20240626_065433819.MP.jpg

Last edited:
Maximum output is 250w
Incorrect. It is the nominal continuous power that should be 250 W. The EU regulations say nothing on the peak motor power. The only country that is different is Austria, where the country law limits the peak motor power to 600 W.

Last edited:
The way things are going, we're all going to end up with EU-style regulations anyway.
You do have such regulations, which is the 3-class system. The issue is too many people ignore the law in North America.
If someone puts a throttle on a Class 3 e-bike then rides it "slowly and respectfully", it is unlawful.
Anyone saying "I can set my e-bike to be Class 1 then Class 3", or "disconnecting the throttle will make my Class 2 e-bike Class 1" does not know what the e-bike laws are about.

Incorrect. It is the nominal continuous power that should be 250 W. The EU regulations say nothing on the peak motor power. The only country that is different is Austria, where the country law limits the peak motor power to 600 W.
Ok geek, congratulations you have earned a biscuit. You totally missed the point that these are buying guidelines for consumers who are unlikely to understand the finer points, and just need the headlines.

The EPAC label that is an essential requirement for legality in the EU and UK only shows the headline power output.

Attachments

• PXL_20240626_065433819.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240626_065433819.MP.jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 7
Back