Does anyone know if there is any one or place that will make a custom ebike?

NiamhNyx

Region
USA
So, I am not to confident in my ability to properly make my own custom bike, but I would really like a custom one built exactly what I need it for. My current one is getting wrecked by the trail I ride work everyday.

Does anyone know of any custom ebike building shops or something?

Do you want a regular bike to ebike conversion, or a custom made ebike?
If you want a regular bike converted I'd also recommend Pedaluma, or Johny Nerdout https://www.johnnynerdout.com/

If you want a customized mountain bike you could contact Watt Wagons. Pushkar makes a great product, but it's pricey and there's a lengthy wait time.

Hey, Thank you for sticking up for me. I am only local in the SF North Bay of California. Locals bring me their bikes based on word of mouth. I do not sell or ship. It is like bringing a local artist your canvas. Someone got angry because I said I do not want to associate myself with repainted bikes. Again, that is just me. No one else. I feel sorry for angry people. I am well-known in my community and was written up in the City News Letter last week. I have verified local reviews on Google Maps. I help people with their builds here on EBR, @NiamhNyx and am happy to be useful for you. What are you looking to achieve?

You know, Surly, I did not know of your whole rift with Pedaluma, I hadn't read the thread where y'all were arguing about paint jobs and stolen bikes. Now I'll have to go find it and read it and get up to speed on it. Would have been better if you had let sleeping dogs lie, because now I'm attaching scandal and unpleasantness to your name. Better to have just let it go and risen above it, rather than rant on like a guest on Jerry Springer.

sorry I haven't responded, worked for 9 days in a row. Im pretty much looking for a fully custom bike for what I would use it for. I use one to get to work, but over half of the way there is a pretty rough trail that has ripped three tires, broken many spokes and gets torn to shreads by four wheelers on a daily basis. Its the only legal fast way for me to go places with out glasses, which give me intense migraines.

Pretty much what I would need is a good tough frame with good front and rear suspension, four inch wide tires, a 1000-2000 watt hub for the back wheel and a 250? - 500 watt hub for a front wheel. Its much easier to use a front wheel in snow, but i would need the back one for summer since I refuse to go slower than 25mph in 90f+ heat, and front wheel drive bikes arent the best with control.

Is this even a possible thing for a custom ebike shop or am i sol?

sorry I haven't responded, worked for 9 days in a row. Im pretty much looking for a fully custom bike for what I would use it for. I use one to get to work, but over half of the way there is a pretty rough trail that has ripped three tires, broken many spokes and gets torn to shreads by four wheelers on a daily basis. Its the only legal fast way for me to go places with out glasses, which give me intense migraines.

Pretty much what I would need is a good tough frame with good front and rear suspension, four inch wide tires, a 1000-2000 watt hub for the back wheel and a 250? - 500 watt hub for a front wheel. Its much easier to use a front wheel in snow, but i would need the back one for summer since I refuse to go slower than 25mph in 90f+ heat, and front wheel drive bikes arent the best with control.

Is this even a possible thing for a custom ebike shop or am i sol?
It's really quite easy to install a hub motor, just change a wheel, (you buy a new attached wheel with the hub). Plug in some color coded wires and you're set. It more then doubles the complexity to add a second motor as you probably want to integrate the two. otherwise you would have two controllers and displays etc.
That leaves the choice of the donor bikes to you, sounds like a good fat tire MTB would be what you want.
You can start with one motor and if you still feel a second is necessary, it can be added later?

It's really quite easy to install a hub motor, just change a wheel, (you buy a new attached wheel with the hub). Plug in some color coded wires and you're set. It more then doubles the complexity to add a second motor as you probably want to integrate the two. otherwise you would have two controllers and displays etc.
That leaves the choice of the donor bikes to you, sounds like a good fat tire MTB would be what you want.
You can start with one motor and if you still feel a second is necessary, it can be added later?
I already have been using a rear wheel one for the past year, which works great until winter, because even at low speeds, pushing though the snow is much less controllable than being pulled. But this one I am currently using does not feel like it was built for a rough trail, despite being advertised as so. Already ripped tires and some how managed to bend the damper rod in my front fork, which I never knew was possible.

I already have been using a rear wheel one for the past year, which works great until winter, because even at low speeds, pushing though the snow is much less controllable than being pulled. But this one I am currently using does not feel like it was built for a rough trail, despite being advertised as so. Already ripped tires and some how managed to bend the damper rod in my front fork, which I never knew was possible.
I don't ride in the snow , so I can't give first hand advice, but have a peek at this:
Regardless of a front motor, obviously the fatter the tire in front the more stable it would be.

Truthfully, after watching a few of those fat bike ski videos , I'm rethinking getting a fat a bike, just for trail riding!

I especially like the lead video with the Golden Retrievers chasing him !

Last edited:
I road for several snowy Minnesota winters. On a pair of Suomi studded bike tires. I actually preferred my front drive Trek Pure over a Mid Drive on a crank forward frame with the same geometry. Rather like a front-drive car in the snow. To me, pulling offers more stability. It's akin to walking and sanded ice. Decent stability. And the reduced chance of falling. However, age and health took the place of winter adventures. Last year there was little snow in SE MN and I rode in the cold, but on clear streets. I had a bike to trial from Pushkar, a titanium frame with 4" studded tires, but due to retina surgery, I couldn't ride that winter. I was hoping to try it as an ice fishing eBike. Instead, it went back 6 or 7 weeks later and I never opened the box.

I wore Sorel felt-lined packs with Vibram soles and used my feet as outriggers. It really was great fun! I never use our cage so winter riding is important to me. This next winter it'll be an electric 3-wheeler. No gearing but s single-speed Ashtabula crank with a powerful 9C DD front-drive.

Hey, Thank you for sticking up for me. I am only local in the SF North Bay of California. Locals bring me their bikes based on word of mouth. I do not sell or ship. It is like bringing a local artist your canvas. Someone got angry because I said I do not want to associate myself with repainted bikes. Again, that is just me. No one else. I feel sorry for angry people. I am well-known in my community and was written up in the City News Letter last week. I have verified local reviews on Google Maps. I help people with their builds here on EBR, @NiamhNyx and am happy to be useful for you. What are you looking to achieve?
PedalUmas builds( some of them) you have to look very closely to tell them from an acoustic bike( Does good work)

I don't ride in the snow , so I can't give first hand advice, but have a peek at this:
Regardless of a front motor, obviously the fatter the tire in front the more stable it would be.

Truthfully, after watching a few of those fat bike ski videos , I'm rethinking getting a fat a bike, just for trail riding!

I especially like the lead video with the Golden Retrievers chasing him !
Skis wont work sadly because once I get in to town the sidewalks and roads are plowed, and skis on cement don't mix all that well.

When I think of the word custom, I'm thinking even the frame. Would modified eBike make more sense to request?

I road for several snowy Minnesota winters. On a pair of Suomi studded bike tires. I actually preferred my front drive Trek Pure over a Mid Drive on a crank forward frame with the same geometry. Rather like a front-drive car in the snow. To me, pulling offers more stability. It's akin to walking and sanded ice. Decent stability. And the reduced chance of falling. However, age and health took the place of winter adventures. Last year there was little snow in SE MN and I rode in the cold, but on clear streets. I had a bike to trial from Pushkar, a titanium frame with 4" studded tires, but due to retina surgery, I couldn't ride that winter. I was hoping to try it as an ice fishing eBike. Instead, it went back 6 or 7 weeks later and I never opened the box.

I wore Sorel felt-lined packs with Vibram soles and used my feet as outriggers. It really was great fun! I never use our cage so winter riding is important to me. This next winter it'll be an electric 3-wheeler. No gearing but s single-speed Ashtabula crank with a powerful 9C DD front-drive.
Have you fixed it?

Back