Do you ever get tired of riding your ebike?

Thanks Don, that’s a good suggestion, and I definitely think electric vehicles are a far better choice in many ways than any gasoline driven car. However, even without having to pay for gas, I think all cars are expensive when you factor in depreciation, maintenance, insurance, and parking. I’m retired, so I don’t need to commute for work, and most of my trips are under 10 km ( like most drivers, apparently). I figure if I need a car to go somewhere further, it will be much cheaper to rent one.
Ian
You can buy a 2012 EV for $4k to $5k - Most of the depreciation has already happened . . . . so long as it runs and drives, it'll always be worth something. We pay ~$85 every 6 months for liability only insurance. License tags cost about $100 per year. No gas and almost no maintenance . . . . we've put on one set of tires, one 12 volt battery and 2 sets of wiper blades in 9 years. No tune ups, no oil to change, no timing belts, etc, etc. Owning any car is an expense, but an old EV is about as cheap to drive as anything you'll find - Well, other than the guy who bought a used Sunbeam Tiger for $1,500 in 1970 to drive to college and then sold it 30 years later for $25K . . . . 🤣

Don

You can buy a 2012 EV for $4k to $5k - Most of the depreciation has already happened . . . . so long as it runs and drives, it'll always be worth something. We pay ~$85 every 6 months for liability only insurance. License tags cost about $100 per year. No gas and almost no maintenance . . . . we've put on one set of tires, one 12 volt battery and 2 sets of wiper blades in 9 years. No tune ups, no oil to change, no timing belts, etc, etc. Owning any car is an expense, but an old EV is about as cheap to drive as anything you'll find - Well, other than the guy who bought a used Sunbeam Tiger for $1,500 in 1970 to drive to college and then sold it 30 years later for $25K . . . . 🤣

Don
I like your idea but...yesterday I had to drive 120miles round trip with an outside temperature of 40F to get my second covid shot. Would a 2012 EV accomplish this or leave me stranded?

I've been riding my e-bike since 2016, it has brought the joy of cycling back for me. Our snow has mostly disappeared, the forecast is for temps in the high teens C, I will be riding this week.

I got tired of commuting now no problem at all. then today I got this the most I have ever averaged in watts output.
IMG_2479.jpeg

I just retired. We both have ebikes. And we have four IC vehicles. Will be downsizing to 3 shortly. Then two. Though one of those is my 2009 Triumph Sprint.

As soon as the weather reaches 10c I'm off on my rides. Just can't wait and at 66 have no time to waste. I feel we all need to get out of the covid slump and pedal onward!
Regarding cars enter in the search bar Empty Lasagna Tray for a fun read.

as long as you do not spend a fortune on electric transportation, this is life saving. I saved a lot of money on my electric car. in 4 years, I did not change anything. not even the tires.. speaking about bikes, they get better and better and also more expensive..

Back