Do you charge your Bosch 500w battery to 100% With your Bosch standard charger? If not, why not?

I'm with Stefan. I want range and as much assist as the circumstances demand during the ride. So I charge fully.

However, I am scrupulous about not having my battery sit idle at 100% charge or letting it get below 20% unless it cannot be avoided. I make sure the battery is somewhere around 50-60% when I know I won't be riding for a while. When I know I will be going out for a ride, I try to charge it up fully just before departure.

I know this will not get maximum life out of the battery but it is doing most things and the things that are feasible. I want my bike to work for me, not the other way around.

Thus far with over 18,000 miles on various ebikes over the past 2.5 years my batteries have not noticeably deteriorated. I have three 500 watt power packs the newest of which is 2 years old. My 625 power tube is just a few months old at this point.
Curious how you ordered/bought that 625 battery/cover and how that works with the lock system.
Im impressed with your quiver of batteries!

The 625 is the stock battery cover combo that comes with the Allant+ 9.9s It works just fine, no issues with the lock or cover. It just requires one to slow down and do the lock up and unlock with deliberation. My Delight came with two 500 Wh power pack batteries and Nancy's Homage Rohloff HS came with one.

I charge to 100%. Only making sure the battery has gotten room temp before charging. Best I can do for discharge is ”allowing“ myself to feel guilty as I use as much battery as I want/need to get home . If I need more batteries I purchase them. I do long rides and carry spares . If time and weather permit I will use most of the juice I carry with me. If I know I won’t need it all I will stop near 20% and swap early. Usuallly hard on the 1st and or 2 battery because I don’t know the for the trip til I head home. 3rd battery usually doesnt get depleted but used in high power mostly

depending on the bike and amount of batteries I try to rotate the 1st battery until 1 starts to show its age. That one is then picked on till it is replaced.

I charge to 100%. Only making sure the battery has gotten room temp before charging. Best I can do for discharge is ”allowing“ myself to feel guilty as I use as much battery as I want/need to get home . If I need more batteries I purchase them. I do long rides and carry spares . If time and weather permit I will use most of the juice I carry with me. If I know I won’t need it all I will stop near 20% and swap early. Usuallly hard on the 1st and or 2 battery because I don’t know the for the trip til I head home. 3rd battery usually doesnt get depleted but used in high power mostly

depending on the bike and amount of batteries I try to rotate the 1st battery until 1 starts to show its age. That one is then picked on till it is replaced.
Pretty much how I approach this issue thus far. My plan is to eventually get a 625 (or maybe another 500) as a spare.

I always leave my bikes with a charger cable in after riding them. I do this with all five of my bosh electric bikes. I have never had any problems.

I hope to one day "wear out" my battery ... what a bummer it would be if I spent so much on this bike and didn't use it. I charge mine to 100%, but I'm mindful to charge it only before I use it. At first, I would charge at work... that way I would never go more than four hours or so with it sitting there fully charged.

I've noticed my battery will charge to 100%, but the moment I unplug it the computer says it's 98%, sometimes it says 97%. I don't know if that's some sort of conditioning going on or if the battery perhaps wasn't actually new when they sold it to me last month. Anyone else notice anything similar? And is there a way to see the charge cycle count on these?

I've noticed my battery will charge to 100%, but the moment I unplug it the computer says it's 98%, sometimes it says 97%. I don't know if that's some sort of conditioning going on or if the battery perhaps wasn't actually new when they sold it to me last month. Anyone else notice anything similar? And is there a way to see the charge cycle count on these?

I’ve seen that a few times after charging my Bosch E-bikes, the Allant+ 8s will show 99% or 98% and then 3 or 4 times in a row it’ll be 100%....
I don’t think It indicates anything abnormal. Next time you have the firmware updated as the bike technician how many hours you have used the battery.

I wouldn't get to hung up on charging. For most commuters reduction in battery life over time isn't going to matter just may need more frequent charging. If touring then invest in spare battery and use older one for local trips, save new one for long day trips where spare isn't needed.

I wouldn't get to hung up on charging. For most commuters reduction in battery life over time isn't going to matter just may need more frequent charging. If touring then invest in spare battery and use older one for local trips, save new one for long day trips where spare isn't needed.
What do I know but I think I'll always charge to 100% unless storing or ignoring the bike for a while. WTH, life is short and it's only money. Unless you are a very active rider I suspect the battery will outlast the bike anyway. I suppose folks are thinking about resale but how do you prove to a buyer that your old battery has _______ amount of charges left in it?

how do you prove to a buyer that your old battery has _______ amount of charges left in it?

On the Bosch system, any Bosc authorized center can run a diagnostic report and the report will show the charge cycles, the highest and lowest temperature experienced by the battery, and overall battery state of health.

1604947462877.png

In a couple of months I'm getting a new ebike that will come with a fast charger (Satiator, from Grin Technologies) that will allow me to set different percentages of charge.
I'd like to use the charger on my Bosch battery, so I emailed Grin. They don't have an adapter plug yet, but said it would (hopefully) be available sometime in early 2021.
This is definitely something I'll purchase when it becomes available.

I asked Bosch about this, and they were unequivocal - no harm in charging to 100%, or running it down ro 0%, or topping up little and often, whatever takes your fancy. But they do stress not storing your battery for any length of time full or empty - they recommend around the 60% mark as people have said. Also avoiding hot/cold, storing and charging at room temperature is the thing. The Bosch guy also sent mea link to this, which is a very useful summary I think:

https://www.bosch-ebike.com/fileadm...Bike-Battery-Guide-MY2020-EN.pdf?_=1559630936

Cheers, John

Same here, charge to at least 90% right before I go.
After the ride I charge to 80% or less, then let it sit overnight or whatever.
I want max range and tend to run in Turbo on the way home 😁🚴🏼‍♀️
One shop mechanic mentioned that the owner runs Turbo 100% of the time and burns out batteries. Said is was hard on the battery. Just an off the hand comment....

One shop mechanic mentioned that the owner runs Turbo 100% of the time and burns out batteries. Said is was hard on the battery. Just an off the hand comment....

Luto,
That’s a great point. Yes I can see that running 100% Turbo all the time would certainly burn out batteries. I run my Vado on Turbo 20-30% of the time, mostly on hills and when dashing for home. On the other hand, I bought the Vado for that very reason: lots of torque and speed, and incredibly smooth. So lovin’ the rush!!

Of course the battery or motor or whatever will eventually die 😞☹️ . I will give it a proper funeral and say goodbye. And I’m already saving for the replacement, whatever ebike that happens to be. That’s why these forums and Courts reviews are so informative as to what is available 🚴🏾‍♂️😎.

Last edited:
Back