Do You Change Gears and Power Assist Levels During Ride??

Steve Pierce

Just curious. Do you RadPower Bike users change gears and power assist levels during a ride? I find myself changing both many times depending on wind, terrain, my energy level and comfort. The videos I see on youtube seem to show that people put the bike in 7th gear and choose a power assist level and never touch it anymore.

Extremly, basicly the whole time Im switching.

Im mainly riding in forests switching between all gears, from 1 to 7 and even PAS mode.
Mostly I ride in PAS 1, but there are some places where I have to up to 3 or even 4 to get up, even in first gear.
Sometimes it was so steep, the backtire was slipping because I couldnt get any traction and weight on the rear wheel.

And when Im completly exhausted and spent, I just bump up the PAS mode to 3 - 4 or even throttle only and ride home.

So yeah, I use the full range of gears and PAS modes, thats why I wished I had a little bit more gears on the bike.

But doesnt matter that much, my next bike will be something better (but more expensive).

I ride the same way as you Rakku. Most of the videos I see are of bike commuters. They put the bike in the highest gear, set the assist to level 3 or 4 and use the throttle from standing start. I guess they are just looking for the highest sustainable speed for the quickest travel time.

...Do you... change gears and power assist levels during a ride? I find myself changing both many times depending on wind, terrain, my energy level and comfort....

That's how I've always ridden ebikes. 'You' are the master transmission sensor that selects gearing and power feed to maintain forward motion with moderate and consistent leg effort.

While not a RadPower owner I do ride my bike by routinely changing gears and Assist to suit terrain, my energy level, wind, my mood, etc.

I usually try to ride in the highest gear with the lowest amount of PAS while maintaining around 50-70 rpm range pedaling. I've noticed my sweet spot for pedaling is around 60 rpm and I can go until my battery is depleted at that pace. I've improved my conditioning riding the rover +4500 miles where I can set it at PAS 3 for work commuting to maintain 15-20 mph and just change gears to maintain my pedal rpms "sweet spot" for inclines.

I use PAS 2 for trail riding and select a gear for the same 60 rpm range (usually 7-14 mph max on trails). I up the PAS level to 3 if it gets sandy and back down to PAS 2 on hardpack.

I do get a lot of use from my throttle work commuting and trail riding. I use my throttle to accelerate faster to get to my 60 rpm pedaling speed in 7th gear. Also use the throttle for short steep inclines, get across intersections faster, make a light that is about to change, or trail riding when I hit a really deep and sandy spot.

I wish the PAS selector would change the PAS by 1 level only when you press the button. There were times I'm in PAS 2 single-track trail riding and need to up the PAS to 3. I end up taking my eyes of the trail and pressing the button up/down 2-3 times because the PAS level goes too high or too low. I do this more when colder with full finger gloves, winter riding gloves, and sometimes Bar Mitts on handlebars.

mrgold35, I too have problems with the PAS skipping up two levels or not changing at all. I agree with either limiting the change to one step at a time or adding an audible beep for each change. This will allow us to change levels without having to look at the display. One beep for level one, two beeps for level two and so on. Its a small change but one that would be useful.

Last edited:
Same here, the buttons sometimes dont register at all if you dont press hard enough or it skips a level or 2, pretty weird.

Back