Do you carry an extra battery?

Robspace1

Region
USA
This summer I added a second battery and a rear cargo rack to my bike. The battery is big, 1000 watts, weighing 12 lbs. But so far I really don't notice any difference in performance from the extra weight. Well worth it as I go many miles from help of any kind. Having had one fail and having to peddle this 75 lb. bike up big hills, for miles, is something I never want to do again. As for the extra weight, no problem, I can lose that from my own body to compensate lol. Do you carry a backup for extra miles or for added layer of breakdown protection?

No. My 840 wh battery can take me farther than I can stand to sit down on the seat. About 4 hours I start feeling pain of the hips. That is about 30 miles. I ride ~8 mph. I pedal unpowered over half the distance. I get there with about 50.6 v of a battery that started at 53.0 v (54.6 max charge)
I hung the battery off the front to balance the bike better. My bike has bosses in the frame to mount a front basket, that doesn't have to be steered. I made a custom mount that is narrower than the "bread basket" for less wind resistance. The battery is shielded from the sun and rain by white foam and a plastic bag. It is caged in aluminum angle by 22 screws to resist theft. Some screws have been backed off a grocery store twice - but not the crucial ones.

I dont carry a back up in case of failure but sometimes i do take long rides that require 2 packs just to cover the range, its not a huge deal but it is really the only issue i have with my bikes, no dual battery capability. If i were to purchase a bike now this would be a must, it would have to have dual battery capability.

Last edited:
No. My 840 wh battery can take me farther than I can stand to sit down on the seat. About 4 hours I start feeling pain of the hips. That is about 30 miles. I ride ~8 mph. I pedal unpowered over half the distance. I get there with about 50.6 v of a battery that started at 53.0 v (54.6 max charge)
I hung the battery off the front to balance the bike better. My bike has bosses in the frame to mount a front basket, that doesn't have to be steered. I made a custom mount that is narrower than the "bread basket" for less wind resistance. The battery is shielded from the sun and rain by white foam and a plastic bag. It is caged in aluminum angle by 22 screws to resist theft. Some screws have been backed off a grocery store twice - but not the crucial ones.
Yea, 35-40 miles is my comfort limit too. I'm in my 70s and had knees and shoulder replaced. Many hills where I am in Wa. A battery failure can be a real problem for me. Had it happen a few years ago. It's also nice not dealing with range anxiety anymore. For me, the tradeoff of extra weight is worth it. The bike still has plenty of power. Good that you can ride unassisted! If I was 20 years younger, with no big hills to climb, and maybe had a few more gears, I'd do the same. lol

I dont carry a back up in case of failure but sometimes i do take long rides that require 2 packs just to cover the range, its not a huge deal but its is really the only issue i have with my bikes, no dual battery capability. If i were to purchase a bike now this would be a must, it would have to have dual battery capability.
The newer batteries are going a lot further now. Won't be long before they all run 100+ miles per charge. I get 50 max. I figured it was time to replace the old one anyway. Been 2 years on it. I rotate them every month.

Last edited:
My bikes use dual 20AH batteries, a rear rack mount and a downtube. I carry two, more for the added range than failure protection. I'm a distance rider and my longest so far is 82 miles. The two batteries will give me a 100+ mile range if necessary.

As a hedge against a possible failure, I discharge the batteries separately. I use half the first and switch to the second which I discharge completely. That way, I keep half the first battery in reserve just in case. To further reduce the chance of failure, I buy only quality built batteries from known sources.

On long rides in remote areas, I also carry cordless tool batteries as backup. Each is good for 18 miles which hopefully would get me to a location where I could call for help. I also use these tool batteries on short rides where range isn't a factor. This reduces the number of charge cycles on the main batteries and, although remote, minimizes the risk of a charging accident.

I carry a 2nd PowerTube 500 when I want to go for a long fast ride. It's in a pannier, I don't notice the weight/balance at all.

Yes depending on the ride and the bike.
The bike I just got rid of (2020 himiway cruiser) I would take one if the ride was over 20 miles. No idea if I would go stupid with speed, or how I felt after 30 miles and wanting to use throttle with that cadence based hub motor.
My Surface 604 Werk on occasion. I know I can get 50 miles on full PAS. But the last few miles things get more tiresome and it is easier to get a fresh battery in so the power is back.
My new bike (Frey CC) I do not have a spare yet, or a range test. Spare battery is on the list. But it will more likely be sitting in a vehicle waiting for a switch and ride back out. Different bike and different riding scenario.

batteries were carried in a pannier or trunk bag.

Yes depending on the ride and the bike.
The bike I just got rid of (2020 himiway cruiser) I would take one if the ride was over 20 miles. No idea if I would go stupid with speed, or how I felt after 30 miles and wanting to use throttle with that cadence based hub motor.
My Surface 604 Werk on occasion. I know I can get 50 miles on full PAS. But the last few miles things get more tiresome and it is easier to get a fresh battery in so the power is back.
My new bike (Frey CC) I do not have a spare yet, or a range test. Spare battery is on the list. But it will more likely be sitting in a vehicle waiting for a switch and ride back out. Different bike and different riding scenario.

batteries were carried in a pannier or trunk bag.
To me, it just makes good sense to have an extra on board. I didn't really think about it much until 6 months after buying the bike, it just died on me, leaving me to ride uphill back home. I was given a new battery by the company, but the experience stuck. Now, if get many miles from home and don't feel much like peddling, I can lay back and cruise for a while. Nice to have that extra security also.

My bike runs 2- 48V 15 Ah (Single Battery), I normally run Eco 1 and average
10-15 mph, all pedaling, only go to the left hand twist throttle,
when absolutely necessary (Beating a pending wind/rain storm etc).

I average between 80-120 miles for both battery's,
and I sometime carry another set of dual battery's if I am not sure of the ride,
worth the peace of mind, as I am not pushing this 100#'s out of the hills.

I didn't really think about it much until 6 months after buying the bike, it just died on me, leaving me to ride uphill back home. I was given a new battery by the company, but the experience stuck.
One good battery is better than 3 dodgy ones. This Luna battery I bought in 2018 has been reliable for 5 years. I've worn out or damaged 3 hub motors, so staying in shape where I can ride home without power, however long it takes, is a goal. I can make it home in 6 hours against a 25 mph headwind, but the battery+motor for 3.7 hours is a lot more fun.
Most frequent failure is rain takes out the throttle. I deleted cadence sense as too dangerous, too fast at minimum speed. When the 2017 controller started errorring out (PAS pickup disconnected), no replacment controllers on ebay had cadence sense pickup. I carry a plastic bag now to protect the throttle, but have still messed up. A hair dryer at destination, all is good again.
Having excess lung capacity really worked out against Covid 19. No hospital stay or oxygen necessary. However, my unpowered times on my usual route increased 50%. 3 years later I'm up to 40% slower than 2019 time.

I carry multiple extra batteries , sometimes 4. I prefer higher power levels and long rides . Some of the bikes I have use the same batteries. Like to make sure I can do 100 mi+ if I have the time . Some bikes only have 2 batteries but arent used as much and are waiting for sales after I am sure I am keeping them (Lectric) . On my most regular trip I stop and charge while I take my break

Ride1UP Roadster V2 single speed belt drive:
- Up to 20-25 mile ride, internal battery only
(7a, 250 wh)
- Up to 50-60 miles, add the external battery
(500 wh total)
- For Metric to Imperial Centuries, carry an extra external battery
(750 wh total)

Only carry the weight that I need!

Used to carry a swap out. Recently I joined two batteries and now run with two 48V/17.5ah batteries connected with a battery balancer. It's very nice. 35ah!

I always carry a spare battery on my Giant Road E+1 Pro road bike, I seldom do less than 50 miles and live in a very hilly area! If I'm doing over 100 miles I carry 2 spare batteries to be on the safe side!

I wanted an additional battery for my Giant Stance E+2. It came with a 500wh. Giant came out with a 800wh unit and I've not needed anything additional since.

This summer I added a second battery and a rear cargo rack to my bike. The battery is big, 1000 watts, weighing 12 lbs. But so far I really don't notice any difference in performance from the extra weight. Well worth it as I go many miles from help of any kind. Having had one fail and having to peddle this 75 lb. bike up big hills, for miles, is something I never want to do again. As for the extra weight, no problem, I can lose that from my own body to compensate lol. Do you carry a backup for extra miles or for added layer of breakdown protection?
Going back to your original question, a friend’s battery failure was one of my justifications for purchasing a 500w Range Extender. My friend’s battery failure was on a brand new Bosch system (Trek bike) - 60 miles old. And it failed at the worst possible time 2 years ago when replacement batteries were either stuck on ships in the Suez Canal or behind 75 other ships at a dock. It took nearly a year before she could ride her new bike again.

I had never considered battery failure but then gave it odds better than 1%. Justifiable cause. When I upgraded my RIB from 500w to 625w I sold my old battery to a guy who wanted a spare.

Back