Do you break spokes?

I thought that breaking spokes with middle-drive engines was a thing of the past (unless some unfortunate accident of course), but I see that it is not.

I own a Turbo 2016 bike with rear wheel engine and I think I am the guy that beated all the records in breaking spokes (It might have been around 6 or more if I remember correctly). You can read the odyssey and find some good tips here.

If you have more than one spoke broken without any apparent cause, go directly to your dealer. They should replace the whole wheel if this keeps happening.

I know I’m a bit late to this party (just joined the site today) but that’s very interesting. The only fault I’ve had so far with my Vado 4.0 has been broken rear spokes. All fixed fuss free under warranty but clearly something to keep an eye out on.....

I know I’m a bit late to this party (just joined the site today) but that’s very interesting. The only fault I’ve had so far with my Vado 4.0 has been broken rear spokes. All fixed fuss free under warranty but clearly something to keep an eye out on.....
Hi Turbo how many miles did you have when this happened? I'm at 860 miles and haven't had any broken spokes and I'm no light weight guy. I did take my bike in at 500 miles for a check up that my LBS included and they did have to "true" the rims but nothing was broken, I did replace the chain it was a little stretched but cheaper to replace the chain now to prevent damaging the gears. (I'm on a Como 3.0)

I have had 1 spoke break (rear wheel - Felt Sporte), in the 1st 200 miles, then 300 miles later another broke. I replaced them and now carry a couple spare spokes taped to the rear rack frame. No additional breaks after an additional 500 miles. If another breaks, I will do a new wheel build. With my previous non-Electric bike, I had two spoke breaks in about 40,000 miles, using bike for same purpose & same load. It could be the factory build, the additional weight or the additional speed/torque of the Felt E-Bike. Still learning .....

Update:
At 1,250 miles, I broke my 4th spoke on the rear wheel.
The LBS indicated that the Factory wheel build is often the issue.
I had my local LBS rebuild the wheel... new high quality spokes and new high quality spoke nipples. They recommended using the same rim and hub (at least for now). so far, 250 miles later, no issues. Hopefully with the new spokes and spoke nipples, this will resolve the spoke breakage issue.

Hi Turbo how many miles did you have when this happened? I'm at 860 miles and haven't had any broken spokes and I'm no light weight guy. I did take my bike in at 500 miles for a check up that my LBS included and they did have to "true" the rims but nothing was broken, I did replace the chain it was a little stretched but cheaper to replace the chain now to prevent damaging the gears. (I'm on a Como 3.0)
I’d only done 100 miles! It happened so early on that I do believe it was just bedding in rather than a long term build quality issue.

I’d only done 100 miles! It happened so early on that I do believe it was just bedding in rather than a long term build quality issue.
Wow! That does seem unusual, glad they got you covered under warranty! Its seems real funny spokes are either going to break right away or last forever, I think it has something to do with the person "lacing" the spokes. I'm still going strong on my original rims spokes and tires I did get a flat on the rear and replaced the tube on back tire only. (wasn't a fun day luckily i was only a mile away from home)

Turbo Vado 3.0. Broke 1 spoke after 100km. Broke now 2 spokes at 700km. My first spoke got fixed under warranty. My LBS will investigate the wheel further.

Two broken spokes in the last two weeks. My Vado 3 has 4,400 km on it now. These are only the first and second spoke failures I've had. None at all until two weeks ago when the first happened.

My riding hasn't changed; same mix of road, gravel and single track trails in my daily commute. Both failures have been the rear wheel on the disc side and both in the nipple thread area.

If there's a third I'll have to consider the options of a wheel rebuild or replacing it with something stronger.

Now I’m nervous reading these broken spoke stories. Vado 6 has been rock solid but slightly less than 2000 miles. Have to agree with earlier comments about crummy roads. So many potholes, huge cracks, and lumpy repairs, maybe should have purchased top of the line emtb.

Realized I never followed up on my saga of broken spokes posted here earlier... 5 ultimately broke by the time I got the replacement wheel... they broke across a span of 1,170 miles, biked over 2 consecutive months. Once I got the new wheel from the manufacturer, I’ve put 2,400 miles on it without a single break... something was clearly wrong with the spokes of that initial wheel!

I too have broken a rear wheel spoke on my Vado 4.0 after 6 weeks and 1,000km last week. Went with an unmerciful bang. I only use it for commuting on road so it is not abused and I weigh about 80kg. It went at the thread in the nipple. There seems to be unbelievable spoke tension used in the wheel and I would not be surprised if others pop. I would guess cheap spokes and high tension don't mix!

It's unbelievable that Specialized makes bikes of several thousands of dollars and still make wheels with spokes that break like if the bike was 200 dollars. I've even had bikes that cheap that never broke spokes like that. Don't tell me about the weight thing. They have engineers and they should come up with a better solution (or change their spokes provider). This issue was back to my Turbo 2016. After the last wheel change I had no spokes broken, but a motor issue, so it will be the 4th time they will have to replace my back wheel (for one thing or another). Every year when the bike season starts, I've some issue with the back wheel. Really disappointing.

I’m around 1600 miles and broke my first rear spoke. I’m in Boston and the roads have been beat to hell and tons of salt, so maybe it’s just that. I love riding my Turbo Vado 3.0, but it’s not the hardiest bike I’ve owned.

3 rear spokes snapped off on a ride yesterday. The bike store says they will now replace the entire wheel under warranty. The first expensive/big brand bike I've ever owned so hugely disappointing. What happens if it all goes again once the warranty has expired? What options are actually available for a stronger rear wheel for us Turbo Vado owners? I don't know if other wheels are compatible with eBikes?

My new Vado 5.0 came with 32 spoke wheels front and rear vs 28 on my Vado 4.0 last year. I don’t believe that’s a guarantee for not breaking spokes but I have decided to feel safer:)
Rode 1500 miles on the Vado 4.0 and was lucky to not have any spoke issues.

Last edited:
First 700 miles on 2019 Como 5.0, no broken spokes. I ran over a clam shell fragment and suffered a sudden tire blow out on the rear tire at 20 MPH- not fun. Didn't notice any broken spokes at that blow out but did notice a small dent in the rim. Replaced the tube, on first ride out got a broken spoke for seemingly no reason. LBS replaced one spoke, then two more broken spokes for no apparent reason in following week. LBS is rebuilding rear wheel with stronger spokes and nipples with factory warranty support. Not pleased.

My new Vado 5.0 came with 32 spoke wheels front and rear vs 28 on my Vado 4.0 last year. I don’t believe that’s a guarantee for not breaking spokes but I have decided to feel safer:)
Rode 1500 miles on the Vado 4.0 and was lucky to not have any spoke issues.
That's really interesting. Considering how identical the 4&5 are, why add more spokes to the 5 unless admitting there isn't enough on the old model? Sadly I can't see that has happened with the UK spec ones. There is a different brand of spokes on the 5 but still the same amount as the 4.

First 700 miles on 2019 Como 5.0, no broken spokes. I ran over a clam shell fragment and suffered a sudden tire blow out on the rear tire at 20 MPH- not fun. Didn't notice any broken spokes at that blow out but did notice a small dent in the rim. Replaced the tube, on first ride out got a broken spoke for seemingly no reason. LBS replaced one spoke, then two more broken spokes for no apparent reason in following week. LBS is rebuilding rear wheel with stronger spokes and nipples with factory warranty support. Not pleased.
Does seem to be an inherent problem with weak spokes on these bikes. Wonder if I had dented the rim if they would have offered me an entire new wheel under warranty. Probably not. Hopefully the new one will last!

Update:
At 1,250 miles, I broke my 4th spoke on the rear wheel.
The LBS indicated that the Factory wheel build is often the issue.
I had my local LBS rebuild the wheel... new high quality spokes and new high quality spoke nipples. They recommended using the same rim and hub (at least for now). so far, 250 miles later, no issues. Hopefully with the new spokes and spoke nipples, this will resolve the spoke breakage issue.

Update: 650 miles since the rear wheel rebuild an no more broken spokes. The Rebuilt wheel seems to have resolved the 'broken spoke' issue so far...

Broke a spoke on my Specialized Como 3 today. Rear wheel, disc side at the nipple. This bike has seen about 760 miles of almost all urban street riding.

Back