Do Ebikers Have Group Meets?

Okeph

Region
United Kingdom
Before going for my new e-bike, I agonised long and hard about shelling out on a road bike. I have never owned a road bike, but see on Strava the comradery of the road bikes and their long rides with envy and thought I could join in in the fun. In the end, I went with pragmatism and went for a scott ebike. However, no friend to ride with :( and I see a lot of group riders on road bike, with me on my solo rides. I was wondering if anyone has seen group rides with e-bikes?

Yes but location matters.This is a Pennsylvania thread, ther are others.
A older national thread

Last edited:
Before going for my new e-bike, I agonised long and hard about shelling out on a road bike. I have never owned a road bike, but see on Strava the comradery of the road bikes and their long rides with envy and thought I could join in in the fun. In the end, I went with pragmatism and went for a scott ebike. However, no friend to ride with :( and I see a lot of group riders on road bike, with me on my solo rides. I was wondering if anyone has seen group rides with e-bikes?
I live just outside of Washington DC.
I found and joined a Ebike group called
EBIKE LOVERS. This is a mix of Ebikes and we do usually paved trails. A bit slow paced for me but I like the people in my group.

I was still looking for E-MTB riders in my area so I started a group called E-MTB Riders Lorton on the app NEXTDOOR because its free. I already have 4 members with snow on the ground. Im expecting a good turnout as spring weather comes in a few months.

Attachments

• 20211126_154151.jpg
    20211126_154151.jpg
    794.4 KB · Views: 219
Times sure have changed. Maybe three or four years ago, I recall a forum member out in the biking meccas of the northwest US bringing her new ebike to a group ride, and was insulted and told not to come back. It was probably the wrong group for her, but some folks sure are mean.

I live just outside of Washington DC.
I found and joined a Ebike group called
EBIKE LOVERS. This is a mix of Ebikes and we do usually paved trails. A bit slow paced for me but I like the people in my group.

I was still looking for E-MTB riders in my area so I started a group called E-MTB Riders Lorton on the app NEXTDOOR because its free. I already have 4 members with snow on the ground. Im expecting a good turnout as spring weather comes in a few months.
Whatever you do, don't ask traditional mtb riders. They will crucify you. No cycling group hates eBikes more than mtb folks.

The only men riding MTB's here are wearing workman's clothes, black brown grey or cammo, a gimme cap instead of a helmet, usually riding against traffic and running all the traffic controls. That is, men who can't afford to drive a car. I've rarely seen a woman on a MTB.
Drop handlebar road bikers come in both sexes, but won't even wave at me. I wear dickies workwear: I'm obviously homeless. There is a one exception, an immigrant who rides alone and gets as far out from the city as I do. No tools. V. comes from across the Ohio river a couple of times a week, on a bike lane the new East bridge has I didn't even know existed until he told me.

Whatever you do, don't ask traditional mtb riders. They will crucify you. No cycling group hates eBikes more than mtb folks.
Interesting!

In my country, I found gravel cyclists the most friendly group of people. They only want you to be able to ride far, fast, and never complain about terrain :)
1642651501889.png

Gravel cycling is the group activity I take up the most. These people accept e-bikers on group rides (not only me).

They're out there. You may need a Facebook account to find them.

I joined a local eMTB group with over 600 members, have reached out and found another newbie keen to ride the trails with. It'll be nice to have someone to call the ambulance.

The Ebike sector is growing exponentially. Community is flourishing around it. If you can't find a local group start your own! You got to put yourself out there to find community. Carpe diem, who dares wins, expecto patronum, etc.

They're out there. You may need a Facebook account to find them.

I joined a local eMTB group with over 600 members, have reached out and found another newbie keen to ride the trails with. It'll be nice to have someone to call the ambulance.

The Ebike sector is growing exponentially. Community is flourishing around it. If you can't find a local group start your own! You got to put yourself out there to find community. Carpe diem, who dares wins, expecto patronum, etc.
Did my first group ride today with the Bellingham Senior Activity Center. Only 4 of us, plus the leader (a young guy). I was the only ebike. I found myself several times pushing my heavy bike (65 lbs +) up hills I would normally zoom up. Next time, I'll excuse myself, pedal to the top, and wait for them. I'm thinking this kind of dilemma is going to be typical of these rides. I'm used to riding solo. So we'll see how it goes. Maybe I'll inspire some to get ebikes.

I couldn't find an eBike group in my area, and so I am trying to start one on Facebook.
It's a slow start, but I'm hoping to grow it to where local folks can help each other as well as participate in some rides.

When I get back to WA, I'm thinking of trying to get a group together. I'm guessing my LBS, who sells ebikes, would let me post a notice in the store window as one form of outreach - win for both of us 😉.

Sometimes a riding group can spawn from other groups. Most of our pickleball friends also ride ebikes. We also hike together. Everyone likes to ride, but few take the initiative to put a group together. It is easy to do.

A number of years ago I joined the ADKEZriders (https://adkezriders.org/), a mellow group of over 55 year olds who ride in areas in and around the Southern Adirondacks. When I joined, I was riding an analog road bike as were most of the other members. As the group aged, more switched to e-bikes, and I'd estimate we are about the 50% e-bikes now. This has allowed members to keep riding with the group as infirmities start adding up. A very peaceful evolution. If you live north of Albany, NY, check out the groups website and join us..

A number of years ago I joined the ADKEZriders (https://adkezriders.org/), a mellow group of over 55 year olds who ride in areas in and around the Southern Adirondacks. When I joined, I was riding an analog road bike as were most of the other members. As the group aged, more switched to e-bikes, and I'd estimate we are about the 50% e-bikes now. This has allowed members to keep riding with the group as infirmities start adding up. A very peaceful evolution. If you live north of Albany, NY, check out the groups website and join us..
We have a couple of riding groups in our AZ Winter resort. The % of ebikes grew dramatically this past winter and will do again next winter. The tide is changing quickly.

We also have an ebikes-only group. The 65+ yr old analog riders generally do not enjoy riding 30+ miles @ 15mph. And, ebikers are not so tired that we cannot still go play pickleball when we get back to the Park.

77D3042D-ACE7-4B9C-9EC3-1B3759527B72.jpeg

Back