DisableThrottle

jfny1978

Region
USA
Hi. I am considering buying a RAD Ebike...specifically a Rad Rover Fat Bike to ride on all terrains...from my daily errands to the trails.

If I have concerns at any time about the legality of it here in upstate New York, would it be easy enough for me to somehow temporarily disable or remove the throttle shift, and leave it to be pedal assist only?

From what I've seen online, it looks like I could disconnect a wire, but I don't know if that would affect the rest of the operation of the bike.

Thank you!

You unplug a cable. If you want to be full legal, you can pull off the half grip (ugh ugh ugh) and slide off the twist throttle. Then soap up the grip and slide it back on.

If you want to make it a quick job in the future, you can replace with a thumb throttle and upgrade to full grips that are held by metal bands. Now it's a 1 minute job,

Picture shows a thumb throttle and its connector.

Thanks so much! This makes sense. I don't even imagine ever doing it, but I want to be prepared for the possibility.

The stock throttle does have a cutout button, but I don't know if that would be sufficient to meet your needs. It is trivial to re-enable it mid-ride. Another option would be an aftermarket controller where you can disable the throttle in software. Takes a bike reboot and about 20 seconds of button pushing to re-enable.

If it's class 1 only, and they're really looking for throttles, I doubt they give you a pass for a dangling cable.\

The stock throttle does have a cutout button, but I don't know if that would be sufficient to meet your needs. It is trivial to re-enable it mid-ride. Another option would be an aftermarket controller where you can disable the throttle in software. Takes a bike reboot and about 20 seconds of button pushing to re-enable.
Thank you!

Thank you!

Rad throttle.JPG

I think the throttle disable button is no longer installed on the 2020 models

Just unplug it. It's the only difference between a class 1 & class 2. There are trails near me that don't allow class 2or3. When I get to the beginning of the trail I just unplug the throttle and then plug it in after I leave the trail. Does not affect the bike in any way other than you can't use the throttle when on the trails which is not a problem.

Back