Difficulty Selling an eBike

creativepart

Region
USA
I'm not posting this to get offers or to sell via the forums. So, that's not why I'm posting.

With high prices and short supply of eBikes I really thought my Blix Vika + would sell in days at full asking price. New models are $500 more than my asking and there is a two or more month wait (though this changes all the time).

I've advertised in on some Bike Forums, Facebook Marketplace, Craigslist and now eBay. Except for 3-scammers contacting me from CL I've had zero responses to the ads.

I've lowered my price by $200 and still crickets.

I recognize that not everyone wants a folding bike with 20" wheels, but it's not THAT unusual - look at all the "lectric bikes being sold. Perhaps that's my problem, my bike used costs more than a Lectric bike new? A new Blix Vika+ is $1,700. But I guess that doesn't matter.

Maybe because there are similar bikes like the 'Lectric XP selling new for less than that price. It is also hard to judge the condition of a used battery. It is easy to destroy a battery through neglect and they are expensive to replace.

If I found a 20" bike out for the garbage pickup I wouldn't take it. I have hit a pothole before. they are bad enough on 26" wheels.
I might be tempted to salvage the battery, though.

I've had zero responses to the ads.
You're simply asking too much above fair market value for an inferior bike.

Folks that worship their cars experience this same feat.

Me being a bike flipper, you do not want to know how much I would offer for your bike.

If you are motivated to sell, lower your price.

I've sold more than 30 used ebikes in the last 6 years, most of them in the higher end and predominantly via Craigslist. Some have gone quickly, some took months.

I used to get really good prices when I bought them new (20-60% off MSRP), so I was able to sell them for close to what I paid, even after putting hundreds of miles on them. I miss those daze...

Right now I have a few listed, and the response has been weaker than "normal." Given the new-bike supply shortage, this surprises me.

My theory - folks are waiting for the 30% tax incentive bill to pass. I think the used ebike market's gonna be tough for a while...

I've sold more than 30 used ebikes in the last 6 years, most of them in the higher end and predominantly via Craigslist. Some have gone quickly, some took months.

I used to get really good prices when I bought them new (20-60% off MSRP), so I was able to sell them for close to what I paid, even after putting hundreds of miles on them. I miss those daze...

Right now I have a few listed, and the response has been weaker than "normal." Given the new-bike supply shortage, this surprises me.

My theory - folks are waiting for the 30% tax incentive bill to pass. I think the used ebike market's gonna be tough for a while...
I have a pipeline of conversions. These are folks who seriously ride bikes and want all of that feeling but with enhancement on a light high quality bike for big climbs and long miles. A beautiful handmade frame came in today. Those used internet only fat bikes do not have any field support. And the cells inside the battery housings are cheap quality. I can see the hesitation in buying a used one. Motors and controllers fry on them all the time. What they are good for is getting around a flat campground such as going to the general store at the campsite without packing and driving the RV.

I have a pipeline of conversions. These are folks who seriously ride bikes and want all of that feeling but with enhancement on a light high quality bike for big climbs and long miles. A beautiful handmade frame came in today. Those used internet only fat bikes do not have any field support. And the cells inside the battery housings are cheap quality. I can see the hesitation in buying a used one. Motors and controllers fry on them all the time. What they are good for is getting around a flat campground such as going to the general store at the campsite without packing and driving the RV.
All internet bought fat bikes have cheap battery cells ?

Right now I have a few listed, and the response has been weaker than "normal."
Last year the world was shut down, and the only thing one can do was outdoor activities, that included cycling.

Now everything is back to normal: We can now once again go to bars, buy beer, watch soccer game, go to shopping malls to buy soccer shoes, etc.

90% of the folks that wanted to go cycling in 2020 do not want to do it at all in 2021, and they are dumping all their bikes for sale.

Bike flippers need to price their prices accordingly to fair market rates of supply but mostly demand. That demand is much lower now vs the heat of the pandemic from one year earlier.

Again simple logic: if no one is buying, the price is too high. Applies to bikes, cars, houses.

All internet bought fat bikes have cheap battery cells ?
Probably not. I was using a broad brush to help the discussion in explaining and considering the situation. Have the bikes you have worked on differed significantly? That would be important information to share. Form the ones I have touched, these bikes have components of Big Box store grade and are heavy with poor weight distribution. Here is a photo from yesterday when we did 35-miles of hills. That was fun.

Attachments

• 07152101.jpg
    07152101.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 259
Last year the world was shut down, and the only thing one can do was outdoor activities, that included cycling.

Now everything is back to normal: We can now once again go to bars, buy beer, watch soccer game, go to shopping malls to buy soccer shoes, etc.

90% of the folks that wanted to go cycling in 2020 do not want to do it at all in 2021, and they are dumping all their bikes for sale.

Bike flippers need to price their prices accordingly to fair market rates of supply but mostly demand. That demand is much lower now vs the heat of the pandemic from one year earlier.

Again simple logic: if no one is buying, the price is too high. Applies to bikes, cars, houses.
yep the realize bikes take errant and thats why they did not ride them in the first place.

I also see the upshift. A ton of people purchased starter bikes. Now that they like riding their tastes have developed and are now trending up market. And have come to appreciate the good stuff. This is normal for things such as wine, I am in the Wine Country, and it also applies for things such as starter musical instruments. People start off buying cheap and have an initial taste for sorority girl sweet, simple wines. After developing their pallets they are going for the $65 bottles of big, dry, complex wines. Then they can then understand and justify a $120 bottle of cab-franc. There will be people who go back to other activities and some will progress within eBike ridding.
1626481195077.png

I wouldn't buy a used eBike that is just $500 less than a new model. I'd always assume the owner abused the battery whether they did or not. With a new battery pack, that makes it the same as a new model. I'd only start getting interested when it was $1,000 less than new.

Depends on the scale I guess.
I sold my 2019 Giant Fathom E+2 to a co-worker. I bought it for $3200 CAD before tax, and I knew I could get $2600 for it in it's excellent condition.
I let it go for $2200 though for a couple of reasons.
My co-worker is a great guy and a friend. He was interested for sure.
Also I sincerely appreciate the fact it is "in the family" and I'd rather take his fake 20s than a strangers...
Oh wait... 🤣

If I had to rent a bike what would that cost? That is about the value of my enjoyment? So write-off the depreciation. Forget it. I would rather ride an eBike for a day than go to Disneyworld/land for a day. These bikes are much more fun than Disneyland. A two-day ticket is there about $265 with crowds and standing in cattle guidelines. I get daily liberation value from an electric bike.

If I had to rent a bike what would that cost? That is about the value of my enjoyment? So write-off the depreciation. Forget it. I would rather ride an eBike for a day than go to Disneyworld/land for a day. These bikes are much more fun than Disneyland. A two-day ticket is there about $265 with crowds and standing in cattle guidelines. I get daily liberation value from an electric bike.
Depreciation is rental. Plus a penalty for buying the wrong bike in the first place. Kinda like life in general. 😶

Probably not. I was using a broad brush to help the discussion in explaining and considering the situation. Have the bikes you have worked on differed significantly? That would be important information to share. Form the ones I have touched, these bikes have components of Big Box store grade and are heavy with poor weight distribution. Here is a photo from yesterday when we did 35-miles of hills. That was fun.
Sure looks dry. No Smoking, kids !

Yeah, we are seeing a rapid renormalization of prices, with lumber dropping from its $1700 high to below $500. I'm in TX and even looking for that kind of bike, but I wouldn't consider a used e-bike, as there are new ones that are inexpensive with a warranty, and I'm worried that a used one might have loose spokes, wheels out of true or slightly dented, motor burned up going up steep hill, batteries that are on their last legs, etc. If I can get a brand new Lectric XP 2.0 for a grand or a Jetson Bolt Pro for $199 or a ecotrik vortex for $559 brand new right now, that's worth the piece of mind to me and "good enough" to tool about the suburbs.

All you need is to find one buyer though, so give it time, as in "similar threads" it seems someone just recently sold theirs no problem.

Thanks @JASmith - that's probably very true. I, for one, would take a Blix Vika + over any of the other folding 20" ebikes selling for $999. Wait... I guess I already did when I bought it.

I'm an RVer and bought this to take in the towed SUV behind the RV. Since it fits in the hatch of the "Toad" (RV speak) it didn't require a rack. My new bike is a converted hybrid with 700c tires so now I use a platform rack behind the Toad.

When I bought the bike I saved all the packing and the box, etc for probably 3 or 4 months then finally recycled the box. I wish I'd saved it for shipping to a new owner. Oh well, if wishes were horses we'd all ride.

I am kind of surprised that everyone in this thread assumes that 1) it's a lousy bike, 2) the battery is both crap and abused 3) the bike is worn out after 6-months of use and 800 miles of paved bike trail riding. But I guess it's to be expected. Especially from a few of the members here I've seen do this to others here before. But that's OK, it's a Forum and everyone has an opinion.

Back