Different Lights

nashdm2

Guys, I see lots of light threads and on the main bosch site on FB.

So, my 2020 has got the Supernova M99 Mini Pro 25. There are many other supernova products with similar names, so, we need to be careful.

I want to fit the M99 Pro in place of my light. Has anybody on here done that please? Is it a plug and play?

I see many videos of people swapping lamps, but of course they are not on RM bikes and on RM bikes we have very different stems and heads to most other bikes, so, caution needs to be taken. I also see people swapping for Lupine

Any advice, tips etc will be welcome. Dave

I recently installed the M99 Pro 45 on my 2018 Delite Mountain. It is a beast of a light. I really like the daytime mode using the 2 C rings of LEDS to create a two light impression for oncoming traffic while reducing the light's battery consumption during daylight hours. The cables were a bear to install, ultimately requiring me to drop down the motor and hang it from zip ties in order to route the wires up and over the top of the motor, with enough room to spare to avoid chaff. The required Voltage on this light exceeds the 12v coming out of the light port on the motor so the three wires need to be spliced into the battery cables feeding into the motor. The light is not switched by the button on the display but rather is always on coming on and off with the bike.

Looking into using the same light as a replacement on my 2020 Trek Allant+9,9S, I learned that the Bosch gen 4 motor (easily identified by its larger, normal size front chain ring) is not compatible with the the M99 pro series but still okay with the M99 mini which integrates into the motor and can be set to switch on and off on the display.

Most importantly, the new Bosch firmware detects excess amperage drawn from the battery cable, throws a 550 error code, then a 500 code and disables the motor. This event will void the Bosch warranty.

Bottom line: Be happy with your M99 Mini Pro - You can't put the M99 Pro on your Bosch Gen 4 motor, without causing insoluble problems.

Yes, thanks, I have backed away now and will keep the light already on the bike. Thanks to those that have replied.

Hi , Just catching up and read your post re: compatibility and the gen 4 motor , I have some issues with my 2019 supercharger (gen 2 motor), like you I swopped out the light for the pro 45 and the new 2021 pure tail light , amazing set up , I must say, I also fitted the new Bosch Nyon display, everything worked for a few weeks however i started getting a few issues on the display , no error codes , did a reset and ended up with a dead motor , wont even connect to a different display unit , I posted the problem and actually got a good reply from a member who had his new Nyon overheat , ending up with a new motor and unit, presently I am waiting on my Local R&M dealer and Bosch to sort it out, luckily its still under warranty.

After you did the light conversion , does your light come on when charging the bike ?

Can you post a link on where you got your information on gen 4 motor compatibility

cheers​

After you did the light conversion , does your light come on when charging the bike ?

Can you post a link on where you got your information on gen 4 motor compatibility

cheers​

The light comes on with the bike when turning it on at the display. It does not come on when charging. There is a compatibility chart for all the various ebike motor systems available on the Supernova website bottom of this page: https://supernova-lights.com/en/service/downloads/

The pdf is attached

Attachments

• 20210111_Supernova-Compatibility-Overview-3.pdf
    581.3 KB · Views: 438
Hi re: update on my problem, I have been given two choices , ditch my new m99 proe-45 light or the new Bosch Nyon display, like they are both drawing to much power , you mentioned that you spliced the three wires into the battery cables feeding into the motor.? do you think that could be the get around the problem solution ...cheers

Hi re: update on my problem, I have been given two choices , ditch my new m99 proe-45 light or the new Bosch Nyon display, like they are both drawing to much power , you mentioned that you spliced the three wires into the battery cables feeding into the motor.? do you think that could be the get around the problem solution ...cheers
by splicing into the battery cables leading into the motor, you bypass the control head such that the on off switch for the light does not work. The light comes on when you turn on the bike and shut off when you shut it down. It does not come on when charging. Did you install yours by tapping into the power through the port on the left side of the motor? If so, taking power directly out of the battery rather than through the motor and the display head should solve your problem. I am curious though it you get an error message or code or is the problem as diagnosed by a tech? I would be surprised if the light is drawing too much power when in the aut0matic daytime mode with the string of low output LEDs along both sides.

My $0.02:

Consider getting a smaller (800-100 lumen) helmet-mounted light. These work great for letting you see around corners and in a low-power setting can help you be seen from literally a mile away. Most decent helmets have an option for mounting a light or a GoPro.

There are a cornucopia of battery-powered flood lights that you can mount on your bike. Some of them are insanely bright (much brighter than car headlights).

Every time I've looked into upgrading the lights on my Charger I fall down this rabbit hole and it ends up looking like I'll have to void the warranty, so I back away.

This light seems to be inexpensive, performs well for most people, and is well-liked and reviewed:

Hi What computer display are you using ?
I use the older Nyon without any issues on my 2018 Delite Mountain. As it requires 24 volts, it is wired directly into the battery cables rather than through the port on the motor, which I believe has a maximum output of 12 volts.

My $0.02:

Consider getting a smaller (800-100 lumen) helmet-mounted light. These work great for letting you see around corners and in a low-power setting can help you be seen from literally a mile away. Most decent helmets have an option for mounting a light or a GoPro.

There are a cornucopia of battery-powered flood lights that you can mount on your bike. Some of them are insanely bright (much brighter than car headlights).

Every time I've looked into upgrading the lights on my Charger I fall down this rabbit hole and it ends up looking like I'll have to void the warranty, so I back away.

This light seems to be inexpensive, performs well for most people, and is well-liked and reviewed:

Thanks for that , plan B if things don't work out , I like the lamp and reviews are good, also the idea of the go pro attachment , I live in the UK, and just ordered one of those snap mount pro from the States to fit on my front Supercharger metal carry rack ,
. so it will be easy to mount the light when long haul touring at night ...cheers

My Kiox display with the M99 mini works the same as the Nylon display mentioned.
I don't mind the light on all the time but wish the option was there to turn it off.
Would have liked to have an option to move the light to the front of the carrier (so I can use the carrier without blocking the light) but rewiring is a bit of a pain... maybe I will look at putting a plug and jack and maybe even a switch on the wire so that I can do it all.

My Kiox display with the M99 mini works the same as the Nylon display mentioned.
I don't mind the light on all the time but wish the option was there to turn it off.
Would have liked to have an option to move the light to the front of the carrier (so I can use the carrier without blocking the light) but rewiring is a bit of a pain... maybe I will look at putting a plug and jack and maybe even a switch on the wire so that I can do it all.
Note: I did get information on changing the default "program" for this headlight via the high beam button. So now on power on the light is off, high beam light button will turn it on or high beam, or turn it off again. Just what I wanted.

My $0.02:

Regarding helmet a mounted light, comment I've made elsewhere about a New Zealand made 1700 lumen light they ship globally - forgot to add this light comes with a handlebar mounted remote control for beam intensity and on/off function: Winter is coming down under, so the days being shorter is seeing me using the M99 Mini (2020 R&M Super Delite GT) in combination with the Gloworm helmet mounted light (X2 Adventure). I'm using the small battery on back the helmet - no issues with the weight. The X2 is very good, it ships with interchangeable optics so you can swap them according to your preference of spot beams or wide beams, or even a mix. I use dual spot optics as I want long throw beams to see longer distances down our dark bikeways which see wildlife, fallen branches, rocks, and some pedestrians / dog walkers nominating themselves for Darwin Awards (they are not permitted on certain bikeways for their own safety). Like other helmet lights, the X2 is also to assist me seeing around corners on the dark commute which includes short bush tracks. I don't use it on public roads as it is blinding to oncoming bikes, vehicles & pedestrians. The M99 high beam & X2 are brilliant on the bush tracks. The strength of the X2 beam (1700 Lumen brilliant white light) is comparable to the M99 Mini. The M99 is not as white, reflects the light in a different way, for width and obviously in the direction of the handlebars. The M99 high beam working along with the X2 is a great match.

I have tried heaps of bike lights on my other ebike and escooter.
My latest is an elliptical optic in my Lumintop FW3C it spreads the light out nicely and i get a multitude of options due to the Anduril UI on the torch.

Last edited:
Back