Differences between Turbo and Turbo S motor

bazzapage

I'm currently running a loaner Turbo S (500W) wheel on my base Turbo so have some insights into the differences. Everything else is the same. Honestly, I wasn't expecting such a massive difference with the same electronics and battery.

* Top speed is higher. Whereas I could make the base Turbo run at 43-45km/h the S will go to 50+ with me pedaling wildly
* The base Turbo offered resistance at around 47 even downhill (the bike ran faster with the motor off than on after that speed); the S does not (at least I haven't found its limits)
* The extra torque is noticeable
* ECO30 on the S seems largely equivalent to TURBO on the base. TURBO on the S is insane...
* At ECO40 on the S (which is a nice setting) I estimate about 10% extra battery use vs TURBO on the base. For that I get a slightly higher average speed.
* The S motor is more progressive in its uptake based on torque input. Probably because the S has a higher top-end
* Comparatively, the S feels more twitchy under some conditions. It's like a highly tuned sports car vs a family sedan, it just wants to go!
* While the base Turbo is very good, the S is freaking amazing! I can see why it is allegedly going to be retained as the 'sports' bike when the Vados come along.

That's really interesting bazzapage. Do you know if it is possible to purchase a Turbo S (500W) wheel separately to just upgrade the base Turbo?

I doubt it. If you could I imagine it would be quite expensive. Perhaps keep your eye out for a used one, swap the wheels/parts over and resell. Or get a Vado when they come out. I think they will be rather good.
I'll be writing a Vado review as soon as they are available.

I doubt it. If you could I imagine it would be quite expensive. Perhaps keep your eye out for a used one, swap the wheels/parts over and resell. Or get a Vado when they come out. I think they will be rather good.
I'll be writing a Vado review as soon as they are available.

The 500W wheel is ridiculous. It depends when the motor cuts out but to me the 500W wheel is overkill. I recently upgraded from the 200W to the 250W bike and it's a big difference. Unless I'm taking a lane, I like keeping it in eco 50 so it feels like I'm biking or putting effort into the commute. I do like the fact that I can choose how hard I need to go though and that single aspect makes this bike a game changer. It will be interesting to see how the Vado slots in to the whole equation.

Having insight only with the Turbo S/500W motor (which is just as good as you describe) I am still surprised to hear that you did not experience any resistance above 45 km/h. I do on my bike and would like to get rid of that if possible. On another note - if it feels a bit twitchy as you say you can turn down the agressiveness in the mission control app (ranging between eco?-normal-race).

Sadly the 500W motor I rode on does not have the Bluetooth function. It was a warranty replacement for an older "S" wheel so that bike got a major upgrade from 250W to 500W! I don't know what terminal velocity is either as I went past 30MPH...freaky fast.

My replacement wheel arrived so now I have a 250W motor. It's actually a really nice balance - I miss the sheer brutality on-tap that the 500W motor had - but overall the 250W is good. It's got more torque than the 200W and noticeably more punch through the 30-40km/h range. It loses steam much beyond 40km/h and definitely doesn't push to 50 and beyond like the 500W. As with the 200W, it does start to encounter resistance from ~45km/h on a downhill.
I reckon the 250W feels more like Eco50 on the 500W. Not surprisingly really...

why did you downgrade ? I am asking cause my 200W motor is spinning out of control, sounds like the torque sensor is shot and am wondering how specialized will handle it

Don't speculate... ask. If you have a fault then have them deal with it. It may depend on what is available in the spares pool in your country.

Oh sure, just started the process with the dealer today ... now why did you end up downgrading, was it due to availability?

and based on 1 year and 4k miles I am not holding my breath ... Specialized has been a total chaos when dealing with things like faulty control unit, bad battery or a complete wheel rebuild ... good thing the dealer steps up as much as they can.

Back