Department of Interior announces e-bike regulations despite lawsuit, conservation concerns

Timpo

Last edited:
Land managers still have control as I read it. Now they need to get rid of the horses who rip up trails and use them as their bathrooms. I still hope they’ll leave throttle-based superbikes out or there will be issues.

This is indeed good news for the E-biking community!

It does however leave the final decision in the hands of Park Rangers & land managers. I fear individual bias may lead to flip flopping of these regulations as these administrators transfer from park to park. This creates an "unknown" factor in the mind of the public as to whether their bike will be legal from year to year in their favorite parks.

While I am happy that there is positive movement in regards to trail access for eBikes on public lands, that my experience as a mtb'r of 40+ years and the last 20 on/off motor assist, has proved to me that within legal bounds eBikes while under control of reasonable riders makes no undue impact.

However there are larger policies at stake regarding public lands that I feel will have negative impact going forward under Mr. Bernhardt.

Land managers still have control as I read it. Now they need to get rid of the horses who rip up trails and use them as their bathrooms. I still hope they’ll leave throttle-based superbikes out or there will be issues.
I respect Horses, but. Horses can tear up an unbelievable amount of land, their grazing actually ruins grasslands.

I respect Horses, but. Horses can tear up an unbelievable amount of land, their grazing actually ruins grasslands.
This is true but mostly about wild mustang herds. Though pack horses do really chew up trails. At least as much as shredder bike types. Anybody who has hiked trails frequented by pack trains knows this to be factual . All vehicular traffic has to be regulated ... of all types of vehicles. Because there are the few who abuse and flaunt any reasonable rules. Always has been this way and always will be.

Unfortunately regulators often go way too far.

Last edited:

Attachments

• 88183218_2547639605344373_4687370772476329984_o.jpg
    88183218_2547639605344373_4687370772476329984_o.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 236
One of my friends had a "poor' farm rented for hIs Wife, the land was poor and those horses gave that poor old pasture a very rough time, , the thing is Horses tend to pull grass up, for some reason cows do not seem to be as bad, that being said, keep your cows out of the woods.I have been around "critters" all my life and having signed a "peace treaty" with them- I have vowed never to harm another"great or small'.
And seriously I would not mind living the rest of my life 'meat free.

Back