Denied Velosurance

HLee

Hi all!

so I just tried to Insurance my new Civi Cheetah with Velosurance. It’s a class 3 e-bike and can go up to 28mph with the throttle alone. Apparently Velosurance won’t insure e-bikes that go passed 20mph.

Anybody have any recommendations for companies that will insure class 3 e-bikes?

thanks all!
Heather

Hi all!

so I just tried to Insurance my new Civi Cheetah with Velosurance. It’s a class 3 e-bike and can go up to 28mph with the throttle alone. Apparently Velosurance won’t insure e-bikes that go passed 20mph.

Anybody have any recommendations for companies that will insure class 3 e-bikes?

thanks all!
Heather

Heather, I think others have reported Velosurance will insure Class 3 ebikes which have the throttle cut out at 20mph (see https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/insurance.29459/post-213845), but pedal assist can continue to accelerate up to 28mph. Sorry I don't think there are any other insurance options unless you're a home owner.

Heather, I think others have reported Velosurance will insure Class 3 ebikes which have the throttle cut out at 20mph (see https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/insurance.29459/post-213845), but pedal assist can continue to accelerate up to 28mph. Sorry I don't think there are any other insurance options unless you're a home owner.

Thanks Dewey. I am actually a homeowner, so I'll check in with my insurance company. I was assuming since my Cheetah has a motor they wouldn't cover it. I will definitely double check though.

From what I've heard, homeowners' insurance can run the gamut of coverage, but most often it's coverage is minimal for ebikes. Theft, for example, may be $1000 deductible and only cover the depreciated cost after that. And it may not cover liability and medical coverage. Talk to your rep; don't make any assumptions! I went with Merkel, which underwrites the Velosurance policies.

Depending on how important insurance is to you, you might want to change your choice of bikes, if you haven't bought one already. But check Merkel. Their take on watts and speed might be a little different than Velosurance.

TT

Hi all!

thanks all!
Heather

What I recall from the Velosurance fine-print is that it can't go past 20 mph on throttle alone (not, as you wrote, that it can't go past 20 mph). I have my class 3 bikes insured with Velosurance. If you have a bike that can use throttle alone up to 28 mph, then I don't think it is class 3. Maybe I'm wrong but I think the class 3 definition is no throttle and 28 mph pedal-assist.

What I recall from the Velosurance fine-print is that it can't go past 20 mph on throttle alone (not, as you wrote, that it can't go past 20 mph). I have my class 3 bikes insured with Velosurance. If you have a bike that can use throttle alone up to 28 mph, then I don't think it is class 3. Maybe I'm wrong but I think the class 3 definition is no throttle and 28 mph pedal-assist.
Thanks for your response. You’re right, I misspoke Velosurance’s policy. Yes, 20mph limit on throttle alone.

I have a Civi Cheetah. It’s my first electric bike. The Civi Bike website says it is Class 3. EBR did specify in its review that in specific configurations, it could be considered a moped.

Just called Allstate who insures all my stuff including a couple of motorcycles, regarding my class 3 R&M 28 mph Superdelite. They sell a separate motorcycle-like policy with a $200 deductible. All he wanted was the serial number and cost. Premium here in SoCal is $94.78 per year. Pretty reasonable, I thought.

Marc

Just called Allstate who insures all my stuff including a couple of motorcycles, regarding my class 3 R&M 28 mph Superdelite. They sell a separate motorcycle-like policy with a $200 deductible. All he wanted was the serial number and cost. Premium here in SoCal is $94.78 per year. Pretty reasonable, I thought.

Marc
What does the policy cover?

TT

What does the policy cover?

TT
It duplicates my motorcycle policy except for the deductible which is $250. I misstated above.

Liability
Bodily Injury $100K/$300K
Property Damage $50K

Collision/Comprehensive (actual cash value)

Uninsured Motorist for Bodily Injury $30K/$60K

Marc

Marc

Serial number not VIN number? So it’s a dedicated ebike policy or a bicycle policy that will cover ebikes? Is this an add-on because you’re an existing Allstate customer or a stand alone policy? Thanks.

Serial number not VIN number? So it’s a dedicated ebike policy or a bicycle policy that will cover ebikes? Is this an add-on because you’re an existing Allstate customer or a stand alone policy? Thanks.
You know, I can't really answer detailed questions at this point until I see the policy. He can't issue it until the bike shows up and I give him the serial number. Do bicycles have a VIN like a motorcycle/car? I think he said serial number or he made have called it an ID number, didn't pay that much attention. It is a separate policy and not added on to anything. I have a separate policy issued for the cars and another one for the motorcycles and this will be another one as far as I know. As to being an existing customer, that's a good question. I don't know if they write ebike policies as a stand alone or only for existing customers. I'll ask him next time I speak with him.

Marc

You know, I can't really answer detailed questions at this point until I see the policy. He can't issue it until the bike shows up and I give him the serial number. Do bicycles have a VIN like a motorcycle/car? I think he said serial number or he made have called it an ID number, didn't pay that much attention. It is a separate policy and not added on to anything. I have a separate policy issued for the cars and another one for the motorcycles and this will be another one as far as I know. As to being an existing customer, that's a good question. I don't know if they write ebike policies as a stand alone or only for existing customers. I'll ask him next time I speak with him.

Marc

Thanks Marc. Ebikes do not have a VIN number which is a prerequisite for issuing a motorcycle policy, so I’m interested in what you discover.

So Lila @ Propel graciously supplied me the ID number, WRJ2DE4M4KDxxxxxx, which for all intensive purposes looks exactly like the VIN on my BMW motorcycles right down to the number of digits. I called it into my Allstate agent and he confirmed that it is in fact an addition to my motorcycle policy. He had spoken with the underwriter and that guy told him that they used to do it as part of the homeowners policy but since eBikes are getting so popular they now write a separate policy for them. He also confirmed that they will write them as a stand-alone policy. The rate is based on the replacement value among other things and my bike is the top of the line so he assumed more "reasonably" (his word) priced bikes would be less than the $94 yearly I'm paying.

I hope that answers your questions. I've had many years with Allstate and a few claims as well and they have always been stellar to deal with so I'm relieved this is handled.

Marc

Back