Decision Making Time

I don’t think you can go far wrong with the Allant 7, it might not be the cheapest option but it has a good riding position (semi upright, less MTB, less weight on the hands), good battery and known brand components that are tried n tested and generally held as spares by many bike shops. I’d have bought one if not for the availability in my preferred frame size.

the Cube Kathmandu range should also be on your list, several battery sizes and spec levels so you can normally find a good option at various price points

Good luck with your search!

Thanks for the prompt reply. A couple of further questions. What model Allant is it? i.e. 7,8,9???? Also is it using Bosch's Performance LIne or the CX version?? I have been reading that the Performance Line is quieter than the newest CX version. Thoughts??? Also have looking at the Gazelle T10+. Do you know anything about the 118 year old Dutch bike company???? Thanks
You'll find only Allant 7s and 8s in Canada. The 9s are Class 3, I believe. (see Trek USA site) Canadian regulations only allow pedal assist up to 20 mph. The 9 would have been my Trek choice if it was available here.
You won't find a Gazelle T10+ either. (also Class 3) You'll find a T10 though. (Class 1)
I also think the trade off between the CX and the Performance Line is the torque they supply. I recall reading the Gen 4 CX can now get an update to get it to 85 nm torque.
The Allant 7, a Gazelle T10, a Cube Kathmandu 625 EXC and a couple of Moustaches, the Samedi 28.5 and a Samedi 27 Xroad 5 (French manufacturer) just happen to be on my shortlist. I have a Trek dealer about 2 miles from me and all the others are all from the same shop about 4 miles away. I will only buy local.
I am also in B.C. on the lower mainland. I assume you've been looking on the Cit-e-Cycles website? They have store in Victoria. They sell a bunch of brands. Good hunting! CN

Joe if you want to go up "Bear Mountain" (I assume you know where that is) you will need a mid drive or a hub with at least 25 amp controller and 48V battery.
I have a Sondors and as it wasn't strong enough to go up (8 km/h) my next Ebike will have a motor that can do it. I want a motor rated at 120nm minimum to handle going up at the full 32 km/hr we are allowed to go.
Actually even by throttle alone if I can.
Really? You want to go up Bear Mountain at 32 Km/h? That'll annoy a bunch of analog riders.
120 nm? I think Brose offers one, but it's likely on a Bulls eMTB. CN

7s and 8s as in plural Allants, not s for speed.
I suppose I should have said, 'you'll only find the Trek Allant 7 or Allant 8 in Canada. No 9 since it's Category 3"

CN

Frankly, I didn’t do a ton of research on makes other than Trek. The idea of picking through all these no-name brands with little evolution and no support just is of no interest to me at this stage in life. Trek has a strong market share in the Midwest and I’ve been a happy owner of a number of Trek analog bikes. I spent several years watching and test riding Trek ebikes, waiting for the maturation of the lineup. This was the year for me. My Allant has been a great experience and I have 5 different Trek shops I can go to if I need to. One in my own town and 4 others within 1-3 hours of me.
Best of luck in your search, Joe. Just don’t wait too long as time is a-wastin’!😎👍
Here how my trek Domane hp is doing for me. [headache]

Clicking Sound under Bosch motor when peddling | 3rd Spoke Broke in 17 days

Clicking Sound under Motor / Crank : 2021 Trek HP

7 Problems in 14 Days Ownership: 2021 Trek Domane HP Electrical Bike You Should Avoid At All Costs

2nd Time Walking 30 Miles - Thanks 2021 Trek HP not fixing wheel problem correctly for 3rd time.

Here how my trek Domane hp is doing for me. [headache]

Clicking Sound under Bosch motor when peddling | 3rd Spoke Broke in 17 days

Clicking Sound under Motor / Crank : 2021 Trek HP

7 Problems in 14 Days Ownership: 2021 Trek Domane HP Electrical Bike You Should Avoid At All Costs

2nd Time Walking 30 Miles - Thanks 2021 Trek HP not fixing wheel problem correctly for 3rd time.

So much for high end branded bikes. I can find parts for my blke in any lbs.. Haven´t needed anything
but spokes & tires. .The stock ones were crud. Once properly tired, I have 3800 mi.
, one change of brake pads, new chain. Model specific parts suck!

Thanks! The Gazelle is a French bike. Have a look at this site. It uses the same drive train as what you have.

Actually its Dutch ;)

Attachments

• 9117D47F-DF5E-481B-B6B6-994D64C315C1.jpeg
    9117D47F-DF5E-481B-B6B6-994D64C315C1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 165
Joe
Analysis paralysis is real and I think you are in it bad, as was I before pulling the trigger this spring.
I wanted lbs (local bike shop) support and a main like brand, even though they are more expensive than the direct marketed bikes.
In the end, I decided on mid-drive for hill ability and an adventure style frame. Examples are Trek Allant 7, Turk Verve 3, and my choice the Giant Explore E+2. I am happy with my choice.
My advice is to define your riding locations and pick a suitable style of bike. Then, see what is available in your area in the near future.
Good luck,
NovaDave

I was in a similar boat not too long ago when I was researching for my own purchase. I ended up going with a Trek Verve+ 2 because it struck the perfect balance between performance, looks, functionality, and price for me. As for the braking system, I personally prefer the Shimano system as I've found it to be reliable and responsive. In the end, choosing the right e-bike can be a tough decision, but what helped me was using a neat online platform called flipsimu.com. It's a coin-flipping website that helped me make those difficult choices when I couldn't decide. Give it a try and see if it helps you out too!

Last edited:
Back