Dash cams for bikes

Here's the DJI quarter-turn mount in action. I find that it's easier than the GoPro clip to use one-handed.

Thanks everyone! I'm now set on getting a couple of GoPros with a mount on the bike (not the helmet, don't want to be that guy)!

I'd like a mount that's that's easy to detach when stopping at a restaurant or whatever, and can be used for other adventures, not involving the eBikes. Suggestions will be appreciated! 😸

I had purchased a bunch of the budget go-pro style cameras over the last few years and while they did work for few weeks sometimes up to 3 months they all cramped out at the most inconvenient time for me.
Than I Brock down and spend few bucks on this set from Amazon :
Blueskysea DV688 Motorcycle Dash Cam 1080p Dual Lens Motorcycle Recording Camera 2.35" LCD IP67 Waterproof Screen 130 Degree Angle Night Vision.
It has been working with out fail for 3 years now, I use a power bank and it runs the system for 10 hours instead of 100 minutes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210609-142444.jpg
    Screenshot_20210609-142444.jpg
    448.4 KB · Views: 198
Thanks everyone! I'm now set on getting a couple of GoPros with a mount on the bike (not the helmet, don't want to be that guy)!

I'd like a mount that's that's easy to detach when stopping at a restaurant or whatever, and can be used for other adventures, not involving the eBikes. Suggestions will be appreciated! 😸

Before you spend the money...does a 360* camera interest you at all? I sometimes wish I went with the Insta360 ONE X2. The reviews are good and so is the video. If I ever have disposable income again, I might pick it up.

This is my first GoPro. I always thought they were over-hyped and over-priced, especially since there were so many other inexpensive alternatives. The first action cam that had stabilization that I was really impressed with is the DJI Osmo Action. It's terrific. The Hero 9 has stabilization that's just as good and has that really cool "horizon lock" feature that mimics a gimbal's ability to have a straight horizon. And as cool as the video is from the Hero 9, it took them a long time to get the firmware in a reliable state. It would sometimes freeze mid-ride or fail to boot 1/10 times. Definitely not good for a commuter camera. But since the last firmware, I've had no issues.
I tried a GoPro first before branching out to a clone and the GoPro was an unmitigated disaster. It froze regularly, was extremely twitchy with respect to connecting to its required app, and it had issues with heat including but not limited to the thing heating up on its own, entirely and cooking itself.

I checked my Amazon history and I see it was a Hero 5 in 2017. Sounds like they have gotten better.

I tried a GoPro first before branching out to a clone and the GoPro was an unmitigated disaster. It froze regularly, was extremely twitchy with respect to connecting to its required app, and it had issues with heat including but not limited to the thing heating up on its own, entirely and cooking itself.

I checked my Amazon history and I see it was a Hero 5 in 2017. Sounds like they have gotten better.

Yeah. I think it's pretty good in it's current state. They sure take their time to get it right, though. I almost returned it since it was so unreliable and I had my super-trusty DJI Osmo Action which is half the price and has never had a hiccup. The app is pretty decent. I really just use it to delete old footage and import the videos for light editing on my iPhone or iPad. It's basic but pretty fast for a wifi transfer. The camera itself stays pretty cool even when I'm riding slow on a hot day for a few hours. It's probably a benefit from the now bigger body.

I have a GoPro Hero 5 in the back, and while I don't have a problem with reliability, I want an alternative that allows the image to be reversed on my phone so that the camera works like a rearview mirror. Any suggestions?

I went down the moto dash cam route. This is my take on it.

My needs were: inconspicuousness, fuss-free (no recharging, no replacing batteries, no having to delete files, no removing from bike or helmet).
I used the provided USB cable and 3D printed the mounts for the cameras. I've made a few other tweaks since the post and hopefully I'll be able to show some updates soon.

I've been using an old dashcam on my bike for a few months now. I have mounted it rear facing and under the seat so it's a little protected from the elements. Lucky the dashcam works of a USB power cable which happens to work well of the USB port on my NCM Moscow Plus.
For front view I just use a motorcycle helmet cam mounted on my helmet.
Attached clip with my dog Jessie starring as a passenger/model 🙂

This probably doesn’t apply to street use but if you do happen to take your action cam on the trail it always pays to add some protection to those vulnerable screens/displays. In my case, the tempered glass protection film saved the day. 👍
IMG_20210521_1315136.jpgIMG_20210524_1604442.jpg

I've been using an old dashcam on my bike for a few months now. I have mounted it rear facing and under the seat so it's a little protected from the elements. Lucky the dashcam works of a USB power cable which happens to work well of the USB port on my NCM Moscow Plus.
For front view I just use a motorcycle helmet cam mounted on my helmet.
Attached clip with my dog Jessie starring as a passenger/model 🙂

I do that with my kids, too! I love the look of sheer joy and thrill they have when they're in the trailer.

edit: Just notice you're using a Viofo A119. Same camera that I use in the cars. 👍

Thanks everyone! Lots of good suggestions. While assembling the bikes I found a USB port on the back of the LCD display so that might work to power my phone and some kind of camera with a splitter. We'll see...

Anybody have a Mobius? I was considering running the Maxi with a super capacitor, and hook it up to the 5V .5A USB on my Giant's RideControl Evo display.

I find this magnetic quick release very handy for my Hero and use it on a Gorilla pod as well as an extendible selfie stick. Very easy to attach and detach with a simple twist.

I am returning to work 4 days a week from the beginning of next month so to prepare for full time ebike commuting I am refitting to my handlebars a Kodak SP360 (not the 4k), not as a 360 but facing front it can record in 1080p. Last summer I fit an Anderson tap inline with the battery power cable, and a 3-way DC splitter jack powering the front and rear lights. I blanked off the 3rd DC jack and it has been spare for a year. I bought a 36-5v step down buck converter off Amazon and wired in a DC female jack, connected it up to the DC jack on the bike that gave a cheeky little spark and it works, powering on the camera which both records and appears to be drawing current/charging off the battery pack. Hoping that spark doesn't break the camera.

I still need to modify the camera's waterproof case, drill and file a hole where the power cable enters as in this video. I found the waterproof case necessary after almost losing the camera a couple of years ago - I had been screwing the camera directly to a handlebar GoPro mount, but the vibration from normal riding wrenched off the tiny screws on the mounting plate so upon braking one time I watched the camera merrily tumble off down the road disassembling into its various pieces and being run over by a couple of cars before I could retrieve the parts, apart from a few scratches it reassembled minus the screw mount.

Last edited:
I am returning to work 4 days a week from the beginning of next month so to prepare for full time ebike commuting I am refitting to my handlebars a Kodak SP360 (not the 4k), not as a 360 but facing front it can record in 1080p. Last summer I fit an Anderson tap inline with the battery power cable, and a 3-way DC splitter jack powering the front and rear lights. I blanked off the 3rd DC jack and it has been spare for a year. I bought a 36-5v step down buck converter off Amazon and wired in a DC female jack, connected it up to the DC jack on the bike that gave a cheeky little spark and it works, powering on the camera which both records and appears to be drawing current/charging off the battery pack. Hoping that spark doesn't break the camera.

I still need to modify the camera's waterproof case, drill and file a hole where the power cable enters as in this video. I found the waterproof case necessary after almost losing the camera a couple of years ago - I had been screwing the camera directly to a handlebar GoPro mount, but the vibration from normal riding wrenched off the tiny screws on the mounting plate so upon braking one time I watched the camera merrily tumble off down the road disassembling into its various pieces and being run over by a couple of cars before I could retrieve the parts, apart from a few scratches it reassembled minus the screw mount.
Thanks! I had some challenges with the electronic shifter I wanted to use. Nothing is easy, it seems...

I am really interested in getting a rear view camera full time displayed on the bike. I purchased the DJI osmo action camera as it was the best cheapish camera with good stabilization. I tried it out yesterday and today with my phone hooked up to and mounted to my handlebars and i connected the camera to my rear rack pointing behind me. I also had my left hand mirror. I drove around for about an hour on the roads and it was pretty handy. That particular setup was not a good long term solution, i had problems keeping the connection between camera and phone and it used up a lot of battery on both the camera and the phone, but for short term or once in awhile i think its okay. I am bike commuting though, 5 to 6 times a week and i think i want a more permanent setup. I like the motorcycle ones that need to be hooked up to a battery. I am wondering how easy that would be to do to my electric bike, the Arial Rider Rideal, or if i could have it hooked up to another smaller battery.

I found this video. I actually have one of those screens i bought awhile ago. I would just need to find a battery, the switch and a rear camera.

Back