Dash cams for bikes

Amazingly i got the package today from Alibaba. Everything installed and it seems like a great product. Just wanted to let everyone know that they can buy it from alibaba and save about $70 to $100 and the shipping was about 15 days. They estimated 1 month but also that it would arrive in 10 to 15 days once it was shipped. It took 11 days to ship and about 4 days at the start to wait for payment, clear it to ship and actually ship. Glad i went this way to save the money.

Amazingly i got the package today from Alibaba. Everything installed and it seems like a great product. Just wanted to let everyone know that they can buy it from alibaba and save about $70 to $100 and the shipping was about 15 days. They estimated 1 month but also that it would arrive in 10 to 15 days once it was shipped. It took 11 days to ship and about 4 days at the start to wait for payment, clear it to ship and actually ship. Glad i went this way to save the money.
Pics when you get it all setup please !

So after using it for a week, I LOVE it, and i really like the setup that im using. I use a 30,000 mAh battery that is in a bag above the bike's battery, it is protected from the elements there. the bag has a design to allow cable to come out (for headphones) so that is where the usb for the power to the device goes into the bag. I spent a week trying different connecting methods. This is the one i am most likely going to go with. The mount that holds the screen clamps onto my extended bike bar, and the mount has ball adjustments at the bottom and top so i can really get the screen to where i want it.

During the day it is pretty hard to see the screen at times and i just use the mirror. At night though i really like it over the mirror. There are times when i am not in my normal riding position (like when climbing hills, i go from upright position to a more normal "biker" position and my head goes towards the handlebars and using the mirror is not possible, so having the screen to see is really nice. I know that at night i can pretty safely see my back when looking at the monitor. It also is pretty bright at night in dim situations.

But the best feature is just having it auto record. With the 30,000 mAh battery i was able to make it the whole week while riding about 20 miles a day, everyday. When using the battery pack, i was not able to turn the system on using the power button. I had to open the bag where the battery is and hit the power button to turn it on, and the system auto turns on and records. Slightly inconvenient , where i would prefer to be able to hit the power button on the device and that would wake up the battery but i get why it doesn't work like that. I would seriously consider hooking this up to my bike's battery or controller if it did not void the warranty which i think it would. Only other downside was that there is no way to turn the screen off that i can find. It has a "screen Saver" mode but that just shows you your speed based on the GPS and its a bright gray screen. Sometimes i would want the screen off or hidden, and that is why i think the mount that i picked is best. I can quickly adjust it so the screen is facing down towards the bluetooth speaker that is below it, i could do that when im going into a store for a little while or its annoying me. Also i think sunshade might be helpful.

1 total week of recording, bike commuting about 20 miles each day.
TOTAL RECORD TIME: 14 hours, 30 minutes.
30,000 mah battery: 1 out of 4 battery bars left (estimated at around 25%)
190gb of HD video, front and back

screen-wide-tall.jpg

screen-vertical.jpg

camera-rear.jpg

camera-front.jpg

bag-open-button.jpg

bag-wide.jpg

What i use:
$105-Blueskysea DV988
$20 -Taisioner Super Clamp Mount Double Ball Head Adapter Compatible with GoPro
$13 -WILD MAN Bike Bicycle Bag, Waterproof Bike Phone
$42 -Sandisk 256gb MicroSD
$36 -ROMOSS 30000mAh Power Bank Sense 8+, 18W PD USB C Portable Charger

$216 total. I bought everything from amazon besides the DV988. I got that from alibaba. I did my research and found the sellers on alibaba, they have a september deal going now and promised fast shipping. Shipping was only $5 instead of $20 and the item was $95 or so, on amazon it is $170 to $200 and on aliexpress it was $135.

I had it in the mail in about 15 days after i made the purchase, shipped from China. The amount you save and just have to wait just a little longer was a no brainer to me. I contacted the company directly and i was pretty sure it was the real company.

@hoboin

Glad to hear you're enjoying your new toy.

Have a look at the settings menu I'm pretty sure that there is a setting got the display to make it go to sleep if you're not using it.

To wake up the power bank you need to install a switch on the cable that plugs into it to make it think that you have just plugged in the cable, at least that's my take on it.
On my set up the bag containing the battery is mounted in front on top of the frame so before I get going I just plug in the power cable and that wakes up my power bank and the camera turns on and starts recording and after 30 seconds(when I set it up like that) the display goes to sleep but the camera continues to record.

We're looking forward to seeing your video or at least some clips of it.

Thanks, i will try to get some video later today or this week. A switch would be a great addition. I am also thinking about getting my main light, which is 1000w battery powered, to be hooked up to the battery as well. The other thing i was thinking about doing is just having the battery offset to the left or right of the frame, in the same bag, but with the button sticking straight up towards the sky and visible through the bag's phone cover. That way i could just hit the power button through the plastic cover and not have to unzip the bag. But i think the battery is too think to do that, but i will try it out. I like the usb kept plugged into the battery and having to unzip to power on the device is not that bad, but i do wish it were just a little easier.

I will have a look at my settings, maybe yours is different. For me it seemed which screen saver was on it went to the MPH screen and not turned off, but maybe i have to give it more time.

On mine short pressing the power button turns the screen off, pressing it again wakes up the screen, there is a setting to make that happen automatically after 3 or 5 minutes.
Here's a picture of said setting.

Attachments

• IMG_20210927_170214.jpg
    IMG_20210927_170214.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 156
Yeah mine calls it "Screen saver" and i have the option for 1 minute, 3 minutes or off and it just shows the speed and doesn't turn off. Also when i short press the power it goes to the mph and not screen off. I think with the newer version they changed it most likely.

I ordered a USB switch with on/off and it should come today, i was confused at first what you meant but found some on amazon so i will try them out, thanks for the suggestion that should work well.

I just got a GoPro Hero 9 and am using it without the internal battery, but hooked up to an external supposedly ~15k mah battery that was $25. I bought GoPro's accessory door to keep it water resistant and am using a K-Edge mount. Using it in loop recording with 4k 30fps videos. The kit came with a 32gb card that fills up quick, so I'll probably get a 512gb.

Just an update, i've been using the DV988 for awhile now and i love it. Very wide angle and really helps see when cars are about to pass. I have hooked up a turn signal on the mount that holds the monitor and that allows the turn signal to be pretty high and lets me see if its actually working or not instantly.

Only issue i am having is the usb switch that i bought to hook between the 30,000 mAh battery and the usb from the device is failing and not working properly. It started to just have a few lines through the screen that would go up and down through the image, and it would also turn on and off 2 to 3 times before actually starting and working. Now, it just turns on and off over and over. When i plugged the device directly into the battery pack, all the problems go away. I will return the usb on/off switch that i got and try another, if anyone has one that they use with a blueskysea device please let me know. probably going to try this one here that has a splitter.

I've been busy with work and haven't had a chance to edit something together to share how the quality is, but i honestly don't use it for recording quality, more just to be able to see behind me so i don't have to bend my neck, i have very bad neck and lower back problems, i have pretty bad kyphosis (forward head posture) and i will be getting radiofrequency ablation done by the end of the year to help relieve pain in my upper neck, turning my neck and moving it causes a lot of pain sometimes. I ride about 150 miles a week and the camera has been a great addition for sure.

I just got a GoPro Hero 9 and am using it without the internal battery, but hooked up to an external supposedly ~15k mah battery that was $25. I bought GoPro's accessory door to keep it water resistant and am using a K-Edge mount. Using it in loop recording with 4k 30fps videos. The kit came with a 32gb card that fills up quick, so I'll probably get a 512gb.
What do you do with your GoPro videos? I just got a 10. It eats batteries for sure at 4k30!

What do you do with your GoPro videos? I just got a 10. It eats batteries for sure at 4k30!
Nothing right now. Kept one clip so far. Most are deleted-I am using it as a dashcam for insurance purposes. If I go on a really unique ride, I will record then. What about your 10?

Nothing right now. Kept one clip so far. Most are deleted-I am using it as a dashcam for insurance purposes. If I go on a really unique ride, I will record then. What about your 10?
I plan to edit some rides down this winter, and look at them on particularly blue days. I may get a trainer and watch them from the trainer too.

I just happened on this thread for a couple of minutes before work. I hope some of you with dash cams are uploading to youtube. There are people that can't or won't ride that could still experience a bit of the beauty of your rides through your video.

As a matter of fact I'll bet a dedicated person could make a living or at least pay for travel by videoing rides in great places and sharing the experience on youtube.

I use a Drift Ghost XL. It has good picture quality but no image stabilisation. The best thing about it is the battery lasts 9 hours so no fear of running out on a ride. I'm not really bothered about the lack of image stabilisation as I use it for capturing incidents and proof rather than creating ride videos as I don't think anyone would be interested in my rides except me!

I just happened on this thread for a couple of minutes before work. I hope some of you with dash cams are uploading to youtube. There are people that can't or won't ride that could still experience a bit of the beauty of your rides through your video.

As a matter of fact I'll bet a dedicated person could make a living or at least pay for travel by videoing rides in great places and sharing the experience on youtube.
Derek Taylor has a YouTube channel where he documents his rides around Northern England and Scotland.

Just a quick update on my moto dash cam set up. I've been trying to clean up the front of my bike and the previous front camera mount was starting to look tired. It was a bit rudimentary anyway and had started to crack and the screws were rusty. I 3D printed a new one with an improved designed and simpler aesthetics. I'll be redoing the rear camera soon as my new saddle (Royal Selle) has tighter spacing meaning my previous setup of mounting to the rails won't work anymore.
20211216_181700.jpg
IMG_20211217_191704_509.jpg
20211216_003106.jpg
IMG_20211217_191704_567.jpg

Back