Cycling Classic Helmet Visor Brim

I have seen some bicycle riders wearing big rim visors. How helpful are they?

Wife has the full-circumference Da Brim, and I have the forward-only. Kinda dorky-looking but highly recommended if you dislike unwanted light in your eyes or want the shade or sun protection. Very secure without adhesives.

Putting "da brim" in the forum search function should take you to my initial report with photos.

Last edited:
It is a bit too dorky for me; I manage that on my own, so my comprise is a cycling cap under the helmet. Not sure which is worse (from a looks perspective) to be honest, but when touring one can get away with a lot :)

I'm often bothered by side sun glare during early morning & late evening rides. I can see where this visor would help. It would also keep the sun off your ear tips as well. It wouldn't work with my helmet mounted mirror though.

I upgraded my old Fox helmet with a fixed visor to Bell Sixer MIPS. I like the option with the Bell Sixer with the sun visor that can raised/lowered as needed. I have the helmet visor mounted rear view mirror I can quickly adjust as needed.

I'm often bothered by side sun glare during early morning & late evening rides. I can see where this visor would help. It would also keep the sun off your ear tips as well. It wouldn't work with my helmet mounted mirror though.
Yeah, my old eyes hate sun glare from any direction. Also get it off the ocean when riding near the coast. Plus, bright skylight washes out the scenery. Together, polarized sunglasses and the brim help a lot.

Turns out I need at least a temporary helmet mirror for my upcoming extended new bike trial. I won't ride without a mirror, and the dealer doesn't want to cut the grips to mount a bar-end mirror till I commit to keeping the bike.

Fair enough, so I just spent all of 2 seconds removing my Da Brim to mount the mirror when it arrives today.

Putting the brim back on is a little fiddly as I recall, but there's a chance that the retention band might go over the mirror's mounting arm. Fingers crossed.

Last edited:
My wife and I (and several friends) have the Salamander Beak visor ($25 on Amazon) on several helmets and find it very helpful.
Another option I will do on occasion is a baseball cap under the helmet if a rear shade brim is needed.

Back