Custom Conversion vs Stock.

Would you rather have built up conversion or stock ebike?

• Stock bike.

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Custom conversion.

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters
I agree, if you can afford it, buy a stock bike and do a conversion. I like riding the Carbon, it's a very attractive seamless design, but when it comes to performance and $'s I think most people can get the bike they want with better performance. I'm at the point in my MAC 500W 8T conversion where I'm doing motor tests and I already know "hands down" that this is going to be a more powerful bike then the Carbon, and faster then the BB02 (and maybe better torque). In the case of the MT1000 tandem, there weren't any options except conversion, and the end result is fantastic....so yes indeed both.

Court J.

Conversion bikes have a huge advantage in that they are much easier to customize and upgrade.. The downside is appearance.. Stock eBikes are beautifully integrated

I have not done my own conversion but I think I might do one sometimes in the future. The upside is that if you do your own conversion with BionX or similar high quality system then you can be your own repair shop in case of issues. The feeling of being able to do replacements to the electrical system without having to send the bike away must be very gratifying.

I have not done my own conversion but I think I might do one sometimes in the future. The upside is that if you do your own conversion with BionX or similar high quality system then you can be your own repair shop in case of issues. The feeling of being able to do replacements to the electrical system without having to send the bike away must be very gratifying.

Yeah, as a shop that has traditionally cracked open motors and batteries, it's interesting working with Bionx, who insist on doing remote diagnostics from their HQ. It's very cool technology (and maybe a little wasteful). The systems know the entire history of the bike. BH and Bosch are doing very intelligent in interfacing as well. BH just released their battery diagnostic system, and I happy to report that 2+ year neo LiFePo bats with lots of use are looking fantastic!

I think it's fun to tinker, too. That why I love Surlys. They're made to tinker with.

IMG_1883.JPG.jpeg

Here's a hobbyist that came in over the weekend. This isn't what I had in mind when I said "custom build ups", but it obviously applies. BBS02 48 v (maybe) 40ah. He gets 80-100 miles a charge.

He had also mentioned some possible "chemical fires" along the way.

Back