CurrieTech - How to adjust Dash rear brake??

So is this a record of a successful conversion to hydraulic brakes for the Dash? My investigation was not so affirming on the upgrade. Something about 3 leads VS two and a 5 or 6 volt requirement/hack of the throttle. Please anyone who pulls it off let us know, Tnx. -S

So is this a record of a successful conversion to hydraulic brakes for the Dash? My investigation was not so affirming on the upgrade. Something about 3 leads VS two and a 5 or 6 volt requirement/hack of the throttle. Please anyone who pulls it off let us know, Tnx. -S
Also be aware of the fact that the dash used a 160 and a 180 disk (front / rear).

Having adjusted my rear brake a few times now I agree that dropping the rear wheel isn't needed but for the owner with limited experience working on bikes/brakes it takes more than a few times to figure it out and it's nice to be able to do a quick adjustment at a stoplight without any tool at all. My ultimate solution was to install Avid BB7's, slightly modified by wearing down the adjusting wheel's ratchet nubs to make it less stiff.
Very happy with the solution.

Brian, did you find any difference in lever feel with the BB7's? I have them on another bike and I can adjust them to a more firm feel than the shimano's on the dash. I have road levers on the other bike though so I don't know if the difference is the calipers or the levers.

Brian, did you find any difference in lever feel with the BB7's? I have them on another bike and I can adjust them to a more firm feel than the shimano's on the dash. I have road levers on the other bike though so I don't know if the difference is the calipers or the levers.

Pace
I am in the process of having some work done on Mr. Dash while I am in Spain for a few weeks which I will write up when I return.
Because it involves several factors like improved brake cables I won't be able to determine where the improvements if any come from. The Avids did feel better.

I will check into this further with Dave when he is here tomorrow at the store. I apologize in giving the impression that a conversion to hydraulic brakes would be a straight forward proposition. I will check with Currie to see what is involved cut off sensor wise in adapting and get back to the forum again with my findings. Again my apologies as I heard before somewhere the mark of wisdom is realizing what we do not know. If anyone has that information at hand I would appreciate a shout...peace

It never ceases to amaze me the info we can gather here on this forum with regards to our E3 Dash bikes. I just recently encountered the need for the adjustment of my rear brake pad after having already exhausted the cable adjustments. With no other solution in sight, I removed my rear wheel (regrettably) and gave that allen screw a couple of clicks to the right. Now my brake lever does not touch my handlebar grip. I encounter a lot of hills where I live and my brakes seem to be wearing rather quickly with only about 425 miles on my bike. Just to leave my house I have to decline down a 125 foot, 15 degree driveway; saying nothing of the rest of the roads around my house which can reach upwards of near 8 degrees.

My front brake pad also had to be adjusted and that was a piece of cake. But this rear wheel is another story. Who wants to remove that rear wheel? I sure don’t. At least not if I don’t have to. Thanks for all the info you guys. And thanks for the heads-up on how to make that tool. That is going to be my next project soon. I also like the suggestion of swinging the brake caliper out of the way, kind of like on a car, but I would rather that it be even more simpler than that. The suggestion of this home-made tool as noted above seems to be the ticket. I had been contemplating on how to make the same thing out of an allen wrench, but wasn't sure exactly how. Now I know.

By the way, while we are on ideas about solutions to things, I was taking a train ride to the beach and knew I would be leaving my bike unattended on the train and locked up outside at places I was visiting. I like the quick-release idea of the wheels but I was concerned about someone maybe walking off with them, just short of locking them up with cables and u-locks. And the same goes for the quick-release on the seat post (though it cannot be locked unless one were to run a cable up through the seat somehow). Anyway, while I was at Walmart, I noticed that they were using plastic zip ties to retain their wheels on their bikes in the store so that no one could take them off. So I zipped up mine also, along with that one that holds the seat post in place. Of course, you will have to carry something with you to snip those zip ties should you need to release those quick releases. But it definitely gives one a little more peace of mind with regards to the equipment on their bike staying put. Heck, I also do this with my tool bag behind my seat and even with the pannier bag on the back bike rack. It doesn't hurt to have deterrents for thieves who would often like to just grab something quickly and run off with it.

Last edited:
Back