Current etrike offerings and buying tips

I have been waiting for Arcimoto to produce their Lean Mean Machine ever since they bought Tilting Motor Works, purveyors of motorcycle conversion kits that convert certain Harley, Indian, and Honda motorcycles into tadpole (two wheels in front, one in back) trikes. The tadpole configuration is more stable in turns than than traditional two-wheels-in-back trikes. Their Lean Mean Machine is a tadpole all-wheel drive (3 motors!) electric trike with tilting tech. You sit on it at the height of a regular bike, not down low like a recumbent, which is a big plus. It is not yet in production. Unfortunately, Arcimoto nearly went bankrupt, and is just now (apparently) emerging from its crisis.

It would be great if Tilting Motor Works (or another company) would make conversion kits for ebikes, i.e. kits that would replace the front wheel of ebikes with two tilting wheels! Then almost any ebike could be converted into a tadpole trike. There is probably a big market in the aging Baby-Boomer population.

You can buy (or at least order) Arcimoto's FUV in some states, a two-passenger tadpole electric vehicle, more the size of a micro-car. I believe they start at $19,000.

Just couple of threads down:

Wonder what advantage there is to a tadpole (2 front wheels) vs. 2 wheels in rear ... must be something to it (at higher speeds at least) since I see lots of tadpole motorcycles and haven't seen a conventional tricycle layout on a motorcycle in decades.

Wonder what advantage there is to a tadpole (2 front wheels) vs. 2 wheels in rear ... must be something to it (at higher speeds at least) since I see lots of tadpole motorcycles and haven't seen a conventional tricycle layout on a motorcycle in decades.
Low center of gravity is the biggest advantage. I have a Fat Tad with a rear hub motor. I've topped it out at 24mph so far. I would never do that on a traditional trike!

Didn't grow up with a 3-wheeler?
ATCs were all the craze in Tucson, AZ and surrounding areas when I practiced diagnostic radiology there in the mid-1980s. Saw lots of serious injuries and some deaths. No one seemed to understand the inherent instability.

The deaths included 9 year-old twins, whose parents thought it would be a good idea to let them loose in the desert on their own ATCs. Unsupervised. The twins decided to race each other straight up with wall of a wash. Both ATCs flipped backward, landing on their riders. Soon everyone was talking about the dangers.

Sadly reminiscent of that recent death of a 12 year-old girl on the back of a Rad ebike in west LA. Who knew that a heavy ebike with a passenger could outrun its brakes on a 14% downhill?

The legal case is controversial to be sure, but I have to think that the parents of the friend of the deceased whose bike it was bear significant responsibility. That steep downhill was the only way out of the cul de sac where the girls lived. If you let your kid loose on that bike, it'd be descending that 14% grade every time. Did the parents ever test the bike on that grade themselves?

Last edited:
When you turn the outside wheel in tadpole configuration helps prevent flipping over.

When you turn the outside wheel in tadpole configuration helps prevent flipping over.
All makes sense, In the UK Morgan has been building 3 wheel "cars" for over a century and they are all tadpole style.

God Bless America

Here's the latest, about to be introduced in days, driving used Lectric XP sales:
As for the guy above claiming "inherent instability" when talking three wheels (of any type)....I would challenge him to do what tikers (only) are capable of at micro-speeds (my favorite) or certainly faster with a beverage/food in his hand while carrying on a wonderful conversation with someone headed in the same direction by his side either on foot or tri-wheeling as well. 'Balancing' (to simply stay alive) is for those not so interested in a slow stroll down the pier of life complete with a comfortable seat at the end of it.
I'd rather do the Detroit lean on a trike at rest or motion than constantly say:
"Hey I l can't take standing here with this bike in my crotch any longer and I sure can't keep up with you guys wandering around to whatever peaks your interest...let's all go piss off some motorists and quit poking around here!..."

Attachments

• 1690689559473.png
    1690689559473.png
    869.7 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Not so. This trike is available in not one but 3 versions with the largest handling any rider from 6' 3" to 5' 3" (who knows if Addmotor added this model later or not).
Lots to like in this trike.

If you don't know if it was added later, don't tell me that it wasn't so.
My original post was from over a week ago, the rider height limits were given as such a week ago for two different sizes, not three.
Stop posting stuff you don't know.

If you don't know if it was added later, don't tell me that it wasn't so.
My original post was from over a week ago, the rider height limits were given as such a week ago for two different sizes, not three.
Stop posting stuff you don't know.
Going to be civil on this one, but they are showing 3 different sizes for the trike now. So painful. Be careful he bites.

My friend would probably like the small size. Gather from the specs that it's throttle-only with no pedal assist. Is that correct?
It has a cadence assist. If she can pedal at all it has 5 levels of speed. I doubt she will want to go over the 12 mile speed limit. It’s really meant for folks who may have physical limitations. It’s easy to get on and quite stable as long as you slow down for turns. But that is true for all trikes.

My friend would probably like the small size. Gather from the specs that it's throttle-only with no pedal assist. Is that correct?
Yes Throttle Only (twist grip) ... No pedal cadence assist. Easy to assemble ...

When throttle cruising you can ghost pedal which is still good exercise for us seasoned seniors. Gives passersby the impression we're doing the work :cool:

At speed 3 the rider can actually feel some resistance when ghost pedaling. At speed 4 and especially speed 5 you can't pedal fast enuf to offer any actual manual pedal assist.

It only comes with a 8Ah battery which is ok if outings are less than 8-10 miles (rider weight and terrain). Only charge my battery 90% (41.0v) with my average discharge after 2 bars (approx 34v - prolongs cycle life of battery). The actual LVC is 32.0v.

For someone that likes to get out of the house and enjoy the outdoors for a few miles at a leisurely pace it's all you need. Used to wish its top speed was 15mph, but that's really too fast to enjoy the sights and smell the roses. No longer in a hurry once when adjusted to being retired.

Have no objection to the front hub motor. If it slips a little starting out it's probably a good thing ... less stress on the motor. I always start out in speed 2 with a little manual pedal assist to get going. It weighs less then the Lectric XP and easier to break in two which is a plus. I bring it inside in the winter for yearly maintenance and any modifications.

Back