Current etrike offerings and buying tips

Many good points here. If at all possible, she should try etriking before plunking down for even a $1.5K model, much less a $4.3K Evolo Compass.

Advised her to rent/test drive any etrike she can find locally to see if she likes the general experience. Also advised that buying from an LBS willing to service the etrike is an important consideration. Between Edwardsville and nearby St. Louis, she has a chance.

Will definitely look into the Lectric. You're talking about the XP, right?

The single-speed, 45 gear-inch drivetrain could work in her terrain.
I have to say, having built a dozen personal bikes including trikes, with what I know today I'd go for the XP trike. I'm not a fan of these OEM direct brands, but if she can find support for the XP it looks really good to me! The upgrade lounge chair seat is cool too!

How is it you have this trike when their web page shows it as Preorder Special?
I have the regular XP, the 2 wheel one. I like the brand, and the price vs. value is top notch on the XP 3.0 ebike. Sorry that post sounded like I was special and somehow had the trike.

Back to the OP. See if there is a Pedego dealer nearby. They are more than happy to offer test rides, and you can rent one for the day! They make a cool trike. Bit pricey but their support is second to none. And it will give her a feel for a trike.

My friend would probably like the small size. Gather from the specs that it's throttle-only with no pedal assist. Is that correct?
My wife has MS and rides the Liberty Trike. You can pedal or use the front wheel drive motor. It does have reverse which important to her.
If you go the Liberty Trike facebook page, there is probably someone nearby that will let her ride theirs.

My wife has MS and rides the Liberty Trike. You can pedal or use the front wheel drive motor. It does have reverse which important to her.
If you go the Liberty Trike facebook page, there is probably someone nearby that will let her ride theirs.
Thanks! Sounds like the motor doesn't assist pedaling, it substitutes for pedaling when that's what she wants. Correct?

Thanks! Sounds like the motor doesn't assist pedaling, it substitutes for pedaling when that's what she wants. Correct?
Yes, when my wife gets tired she uses the motor only. When starting out she pedals with assist from the motor. This trike also has a coaster brake which works very well when coasting downhill. My wife also keeps the speed under 10 mph.

Yes, when my wife gets tired she uses the motor only. When starting out she pedals with assist from the motor. This trike also has a coaster brake which works very well when coasting downhill. My wife also keeps the speed under 10 mph.
Good, then it does have pedal assist. Wasn't clear from the website. I'll look into it.

Honestly that new Lectric ticks a ton of the right boxes overall. One key detail that I haven't seen mentioned here related to the potential for tipping - the Lectric's battery and motor are both low and behind the rider - putting the weight there between the back wheels should definitely help keep it more stable and less likely to tip. Anything with a front motor/battery is going to be putting a lot of weight in the worst position!

Also nice that it is driving both rear wheels - front hub motors are definitely at the bottom of the totem pole for a reason - they don't handle nearly as well as a rear hub or mid-drive, since you're combining power output with the steered wheel, it increases the possibility of loss of control.

1676412449139.png

1676412386184.png

Honestly that new Lectric ticks a ton of the right boxes overall. One key detail that I haven't seen mentioned here related to the potential for tipping - the Lectric's battery and motor are both low and behind the rider - putting the weight there between the back wheels should definitely help keep it more stable and less likely to tip. Anything with a front motor/battery is going to be putting a lot of weight in the worst position!

Also nice that it is driving both rear wheels - front hub motors are definitely at the bottom of the totem pole for a reason - they don't handle nearly as well as a rear hub or mid-drive, since you're combining power output with the steered wheel, it increases the possibility of loss of control.

View attachment 147023

View attachment 147022
Very helpful. I passed this post on to my engineer friend, who will definitely take the roll stability issues seriously.

You're right, lots of nice features for the money. Is this etrike DTC only?

I have MS and I have been riding a Liberty Trike for years. Honestly the front hub motor is not the thing that bugs me. I mean, yeah, I have had wheelspin many times. But it’s never been that hard to recover from. The thing that drives me nuts, is that it has little short kiddy cranks, and I also cannot put the seat up high enough to get full extension. So pedaling is cartoonish. I really only pedal in those wheel spin situations, to get out of the gravel patch or whatever.

Apart from the cartoonish pedaling, my other gripe is the Worksman trike base that the Liberty Trike is built on. Worksman is like the Ural of the bicycle world. Heavy steel frames that feel like spaghetti, crunchy bearings, cheap one piece cranks with 1/2” pedals, steering head bearings that can’t be properly adjusted. So many squeaks and rattles.

Note, up thread people asked about pedal assist on the Liberty Trike. It definitely does not have it. Throttle only.

I actually love the 24“ width. I have never tipped it, and it allows me to go into small spaces.

But the best feature is the reverse. I have come to the conclusion that reverse is a must have

I have tried multiple other trikes. Tipped some of them over, ouch! Every trike that has reasonable pedaling arrangements, is hard to climb onto. And with the MS fatigue, the difficulty of climbing on is an enormous hurdle. Hardly any have reverse, and without reverse, every time I have to back up I confront some portion of my struggles with getting on and off. I don’t have it in me.

I would love decent pedal assist, but I HATE that cadence sensing pedal assist. When it kicks on, the pedals spin without any back pressure. Which makes me feel unstable, and it’s hard to keep my feet placed correctly, they slip on the pedals. I tried toe clips and they add to my struggles. (Before MS, I was an ardent bicyclist so I have great past experience of toe clips, and clipless pedals too. But with MS, my feet and legs have betrayed me). I would love torque sensing pedal assist but it’s rare on trikes.

Every year I seem to buy yet another trike, and the Liberty is the only one I ever keep. Despite its issues it works for me. But the Liberty is basically a substitute for a wheelchair, not a substitute for a bicycle. I have yet to find a trike that replaces a bicycle for me.

Last year around this time I ordered an Evelo trike. I had to pay at time of order. My trike still hadn’t come when the weather closed in last fall, and I canceled, got a refund. I am still grumpy about that. Maybe someday I will try again but for now Evelo is off my list, not because of their design, because of their policies. Full payment in advance even though they can’t deliver all season? Nope, not doing that. Maybe someday when I am confident it’s in stock, I will try again.

I have a Rad Trike on order, it is due this week. They have the same short cranks, so I am thinking it will be the Liberty Trike, only without the squeaks rattles and crunches. And with more cargo space. Not sure if I will like the added width or not, we will see. It may or may not take the wheelchair role from the Liberty Trike.

I like the looks of that Lectric trike, maybe it could be my new bicycle. But they don’t say if it has reverse. Anyone know? I bet not. Also, I bet it’s a cadence pedal assist.

Last year I drove to Chicago to a Hase dealer. Test rode their trikes. Which have torque sensing pedal assist, and it was fabulous. But the climbing on was tough and the price sky high. I did not buy.

Last edited:
Very helpful. I passed this post on to my engineer friend, who will definitely take the roll stability issues seriously.

You're right, lots of nice features for the money. Is this etrike DTC only?
Love what you are doing here Jeremy. Here's hoping you can "mobilize" your friend!

One factor I have not seen discussed though, and that's transporting these things. Clearly not a factor if she can/plans on riding directly from her home, but I don't know that we've been told that? Or maybe I just managed to miss it.

Best of luck!!! -Al

One factor I have not seen discussed though, and that's transporting these things. Clearly not a factor if she can/plans on riding directly from her home, but I don't know that we've been told that?
Hmmm, hadn't thought of that. No way she could transport a trike, but probably not a big issue in her case. Guessing she hasn't pulled the trigger yet. I'll have to follow up.

I have MS and I have been riding a Liberty Trike for years. Honestly the front hub motor is not the thing that bugs me. I mean, yeah, I have had wheelspin many times. But it’s never been that hard to recover from. The thing that drives me nuts, is that it has little short kiddy cranks, and I also cannot put the seat up high enough to get full extension. So pedaling is cartoonish. I really only pedal in those wheel spin situations, to get out of the gravel patch or whatever.

Apart from the cartoonish pedaling, my other gripe is the Worksman trike base that the Liberty Trike is built on. Worksman is like the Ural of the bicycle world. Heavy steel frames that feel like spaghetti, crunchy bearings, cheap one piece cranks with 1/2” pedals, steering head bearings that can’t be properly adjusted. So many squeaks and rattles.

Note, up thread people asked about pedal assist on the Liberty Trike. It definitely does not have it. Throttle only.

I actually love the 24“ width. I have never tipped it, and it allows me to go into small spaces.

But the best feature is the reverse. I have come to the conclusion that reverse is a must have

I have tried multiple other trikes. Tipped some of them over, ouch! Every trike that has reasonable pedaling arrangements, is hard to climb onto. And with the MS fatigue, the difficulty of climbing on is an enormous hurdle. Hardly any have reverse, and without reverse, every time I have to back up I confront some portion of my struggles with getting on and off. I don’t have it in me.

I would love decent pedal assist, but I HATE that cadence sensing pedal assist. When it kicks on, the pedals spin without any back pressure. Which makes me feel unstable, and it’s hard to keep my feet placed correctly, they slip on the pedals. I tried toe clips and they add to my struggles. (Before MS, I was an ardent bicyclist so I have great past experience of toe clips, and clipless pedals too. But with MS, my feet and legs have betrayed me). I would love torque sensing pedal assist but it’s rare on trikes.

Every year I seem to buy yet another trike, and the Liberty is the only one I ever keep. Despite its issues it works for me. But the Liberty is basically a substitute for a wheelchair, not a substitute for a bicycle. I have yet to find a trike that replaces a bicycle for me.

Last year around this time I ordered an Evelo trike. I had to pay at time of order. My trike still hadn’t come when the weather closed in last fall, and I canceled, got a refund. I am still grumpy about that. Maybe someday I will try again but for now Evelo is off my list, not because of their design, because of their policies. Full payment in advance even though they can’t deliver all season? Nope, not doing that. Maybe someday when I am confident it’s in stock, I will try again.

I have a Rad Trike on order, it is due this week. They have the same short cranks, so I am thinking it will be the Liberty Trike, only without the squeaks rattles and crunches. And with more cargo space. Not sure if I will like the added width or not, we will see. It may or may not take the wheelchair role from the Liberty Trike.

I like the looks of that Lectric trike, maybe it could be my new bicycle. But they don’t say if it has reverse. Anyone know? I bet not. Also, I bet it’s a cadence pedal assist.

Last year I drove to Chicago to a Hase dealer. Test rode their trikes. Which have torque sensing pedal assist, and it was fabulous. But the climbing on was tough and the price sky high. I did not buy.
The Evelo Compass trike uses cadence sensing for pedal assist so I suspect you would not have liked it. Since it has a mid-drive motor, it is too bad that Evelo didn't incorporate torque sensing into the controller, but it is what it is. My wife has had her Evelo Compass for over 3 years now and loves it, but IMO torque sensing would be a significant improvement.

Hmmm, hadn't thought of that. No way she could transport a trike, but probably not a big issue in her case. Guessing she hasn't pulled the trigger yet. I'll have to follow up.
Would one of these trikes fit on one of those "mobility cart" platforms that mount on the back of your vehicle using a square class 2 or 3 hitch? I've seen those with ramps on one end to make loading a little easier.....

Just checked with my friend. Etrike is on hold due to some unexpected expenses, but she's still interested. Maybe later this year.

The Liberty Trike would fit on one of those hitch mount trays that people put mobility scooters on. None of the others I have tried, would. I bet even the Rad will be too wide.

The Liberty Trike would fit on one of those hitch mount trays that people put mobility scooters on. None of the others I have tried, would. I bet even the Rad will be too wide.
Thought here is if I ended up with a trike that was too wide, a little "creativity" might be able to fix that issue. Or maybe a little more shopping for a wider rack - assuming weight wasn't an issue.

Tomjasz, what is your fascination with that Day6 trike? You post it over and over, I have seen that photo a lot. I checked it out but it’s unobtanium. They don’t have any, and they are vague on when they might make more. I try not to get too emotionally invested in unavailable products. My Evelo experience was enough of that for me. 😀

Folks are receiving their Lectric XP Trike these days.. I'm looking forward to receiving mine on FRI.
Here are some pictures from the FB group:
EAXY1pd.jpg

ga4b0rQ.jpg

FyVzSLH.jpg

eh5wM07.jpg

Back