Current etrike offerings and buying tips

I have not viewed this thread in ages. Someone gave a like today from something I mentioned at the beginning of the year, bringing me back. @tomjasz mentioned the TSDZ2 I made a trike with a TSDZ2 five years ago from a new $350 big box special. It is still being used everyday. I immediately installed really good tires and touch points, plus upgraded the brakes. Now there is a 'b' version of that motor with refined firmware, a second clutch, a throttle with a torque sensor and additional bearings on the main shaft. You need to start with a trike with gears, such as a seven speed.

I bought the XP Trike for my in-laws, they are in their mid-80's.
Limited in their physical abilities, balance, stamina.. and height (5'2|" & 4' 9")
I changed out the OEM cranks for shorter crankarms, installed seat with backrest, and a mirror.
TQ5koO5.jpg

kkUCojb.jpg

AbLMiV9.jpg

iN3zSf6.jpg

Had a trike so equipped, had good pulling power.
Query-Does more weight in the front help the wheel lifting any?
I made it for a University Professor to carry lab equipment on Campus. It sat in his barn for four years gathering dust then he died after several stokes and a heart attack. His wife informed me and wanted it gone, so it ended up with my disabled friend John for free. He moved the battery from the downtube and placed it perpendicular to the frame, behind the seat tube, and likes the handling better that way. It took him a week of practice to be able to use it. Now he loves it and can't imagine life without it. From an engineering perspective you would think the downtube would be better. It is lower now and at the center axis of the trike.

Last edited:
I bought the XP Trike for my in-laws, they are in their mid-80's.
Limited in their physical abilities, balance, stamina.. and height (5'2|" & 4' 9")
I changed out the OEM cranks for shorter crankarms, installed seat with backrest, and a mirror.
TQ5koO5.jpg

kkUCojb.jpg

AbLMiV9.jpg

iN3zSf6.jpg
You found us
I have MS and I have been riding a Liberty Trike for years. Honestly the front hub motor is not the thing that bugs me. I mean, yeah, I have had wheelspin many times. But it’s never been that hard to recover from. The thing that drives me nuts, is that it has little short kiddy cranks, and I also cannot put the seat up high enough to get full extension. So pedaling is cartoonish. I really only pedal in those wheel spin situations, to get out of the gravel patch or whatever.

Apart from the cartoonish pedaling, my other gripe is the Worksman trike base that the Liberty Trike is built on. Worksman is like the Ural of the bicycle world. Heavy steel frames that feel like spaghetti, crunchy bearings, cheap one piece cranks with 1/2” pedals, steering head bearings that can’t be properly adjusted. So many squeaks and rattles.

Note, up thread people asked about pedal assist on the Liberty Trike. It definitely does not have it. Throttle only.

I actually love the 24“ width. I have never tipped it, and it allows me to go into small spaces.

But the best feature is the reverse. I have come to the conclusion that reverse is a must have

I have tried multiple other trikes. Tipped some of them over, ouch! Every trike that has reasonable pedaling arrangements, is hard to climb onto. And with the MS fatigue, the difficulty of climbing on is an enormous hurdle. Hardly any have reverse, and without reverse, every time I have to back up I confront some portion of my struggles with getting on and off. I don’t have it in me.

I would love decent pedal assist, but I HATE that cadence sensing pedal assist. When it kicks on, the pedals spin without any back pressure. Which makes me feel unstable, and it’s hard to keep my feet placed correctly, they slip on the pedals. I tried toe clips and they add to my struggles. (Before MS, I was an ardent bicyclist so I have great past experience of toe clips, and clipless pedals too. But with MS, my feet and legs have betrayed me). I would love torque sensing pedal assist but it’s rare on trikes.

Every year I seem to buy yet another trike, and the Liberty is the only one I ever keep. Despite its issues it works for me. But the Liberty is basically a substitute for a wheelchair, not a substitute for a bicycle. I have yet to find a trike that replaces a bicycle for me.

Last year around this time I ordered an Evelo trike. I had to pay at time of order. My trike still hadn’t come when the weather closed in last fall, and I canceled, got a refund. I am still grumpy about that. Maybe someday I will try again but for now Evelo is off my list, not because of their design, because of their policies. Full payment in advance even though they can’t deliver all season? Nope, not doing that. Maybe someday when I am confident it’s in stock, I will try again.

I have a Rad Trike on order, it is due this week. They have the same short cranks, so I am thinking it will be the Liberty Trike, only without the squeaks rattles and crunches. And with more cargo space. Not sure if I will like the added width or not, we will see. It may or may not take the wheelchair role from the Liberty Trike.

I like the looks of that Lectric trike, maybe it could be my new bicycle. But they don’t say if it has reverse. Anyone know? I bet not. Also, I bet it’s a cadence pedal assist.

Last year I drove to Chicago to a Hase dealer. Test rode their trikes. Which have torque sensing pedal assist, and it was fabulous. But the climbing on was tough and the price sky high. I did not buy.
I believe there is a conversion kit to replace the one piece crank, some of the older members may be able to verify.

You found us

I believe there is a conversion kit to replace the one piece crank, some of the older members may be able to verify.
Kevin,
There is and they look like this. The adaptor must be eccentric (off center) and convert from an 'American' bottom bracket to 'English.'
I used one last week when I converted this nine-year-old Huffy. It was a free bike and sold Saturday to a Fashion Designer. The matching grips, nice saddle, and brown pedals arrive tomorrow. She says it is the most beautiful bike she has ever seen. I staged it with flowers in the basket's cupholder. The single piece BB weighed as much as a sledge hammer. This is what a clean build of an electric bike can be. The battery slides into the bottle cage.

1684200009901.jpeg

1684199749634.jpeg

Attachments

• CruiserBlue7.jpg
    CruiserBlue7.jpg
    751 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Another Home run!I hope the trike people with crank arm problems read this,I actually would consider a Liberty trike. My problem with the Buzz trike I had was the steep hills I didnt want to meet a car at 40 mph and lean the wrong way-Kevin

FWIW This isn’t always the case.
That is so true, so be carful. The distance from the bottom of the frame's BB shell needs to be very close to the motor, 4 or 5 mm max, the thickness of two nickels to clear. That factor does not come into paly if you are installing an analog English BB. That can be centered. A conversion requires an eccentric adaptor.

I've put about 5 miles on the XP Trike. My wife put about 25 miles on the XP Trike,
still keeping it on the standard mode for eventually the trike will go to the in-laws soon.
Wife keeps the PAS level at 1, pedaling along she's able to keep the trike moving along at 12 mph constant, even on hills 400-500 ft. long.
Me riding along had to put significant effort to keep up with her on the same hill, granted I was on analog 40 lb. cargo bicycle.
I weight about 175 lb. fully dressed and wife is about 140 lb., in-laws are about 120-130 lb.
I put a mirror & bell on the handlebar, swapped out the long suspension seatpost to a lightweight MTB seatpost, so seat can be even lower position than OEM; in-laws being under 5' tall.
RZYnV46.jpg

Folding the XP trike down is simple, taking the seat off the trike makes it even much smaller
overall size gets pretty compact, likely able to fit inside many SUVs.
TWk4Yiq.jpg

Size comparison against my gravel bike, Fiido T1 & 20" folding bike:
CgmzeFC.jpg

o30hE49.jpg

UjTc9Zy.jpg

With a little effort & maneuvering, the XP Trike can fit inside my Toyota Yaris hatchback.
ixb7aKH.jpg

Are you the one known as "A" on another forum? Anyway I had an "XP" regular folder behind the passenger seat on my Xcab Nissan so I know its nice to be able to actually to put an Ebike inside, sounds like "XP" did a good job on sizing the trike, as far as Etrikes go this "XP" version is on my radar, compliments to your wife for using pedal assist correctly and She is getting a great benefit from the trike.

Given the Op's original asks, I would recommend keeping up with the latest offerings via this particular forum/subheading and those willing to bring same forward 'old school' (simply name something better). $3000 or better (as asked) will deliver a might fine trike in 2023 with few compromises. Seating (even modifiable possibilities), dual suspension, maximum power, drive type/location and even the benefits of rear differential types have been purposefully 'poo poo(ed)' of late in this space at the price point above.
Again, wade through the fan boys/naysayers who jealously bash designs/technologies long standard fare in ebikes which are finally beginning to show up in trikes for a reasonable price.
The extra spend, in my opinion, is beginning to push out some budget selections as indicated by the outrage alone towards new offerings with much more to offer and those who report back on their advantages.

Given the Op's original asks, I would recommend keeping up with the latest offerings via this particular forum/subheading and those willing to bring same forward 'old school' (simply name something better). $3000 or better (as asked) will deliver a might fine trike in 2023 with few compromises. Seating (even modifiable possibilities), dual suspension, maximum power, drive type/location and even the benefits of rear differential types have been purposefully 'poo poo(ed)' of late in this space at the price point above.
Again, wade through the fan boys/naysayers who jealously bash designs/technologies long standard fare in ebikes which are finally beginning to show up in trikes for a reasonable price.
The extra spend, in my opinion, is beginning to push out some budget selections as indicated by the outrage alone towards new offerings with much more to offer and those who report back on their advantages.

Have you got any riding experience with these wonderful e-trikes of yours to share?
Any pictures?
Any experience transporting them with your car or truck?
Why do you always have to bring up the naysayers or jealousy in your posts?
Leave those comments out, please; they contribute nothing to the discussions you post, including your own threads.

Last edited:
Have you got any riding experience with these wonderful e-trikes of yours to share?
Any pictures?
Any experience transporting them with your car or truck?
Why do you always have to bring up the naysayers or jealousy in your posts?
Leave those comments out, please; they contribute nothing to the discussions you post, including your own threads.
You are"A" at another site,I believe, however your critique is very salient.

I have been waiting for Arcimoto to produce their Lean Mean Machine ever since they bought Tilting Motor Works, purveyors of motorcycle conversion kits that convert certain Harley, Indian, and Honda motorcycles into tadpole (two wheels in front, one in back) trikes. The tadpole configuration is more stable in turns than traditional two-wheels-in-back trikes. Their Lean Mean Machine is a tadpole all-wheel drive (3 motors!) electric trike with tilting tech. You sit on it at the height of a regular bike, not down low like a recumbent, which is a big plus. It is not yet in production. Unfortunately, Arcimoto nearly went bankrupt, and is just now (apparently) emerging from its crisis.

It would be great if Tilting Motor Works (or another company) would make conversion kits for ebikes, i.e. kits that would replace the front wheel of ebikes with two tilting wheels! Then almost any ebike could be converted into a tadpole trike. There is probably a big market in the aging Baby-Boomer population.

You can buy (or at least order) Arcimoto's FUV in some states, a two-passenger tadpole electric vehicle, more the size of a micro-car. I believe they start at $19,000.

Last edited:
Back