Cube Kathmandu 2021 - Alternative Cranks

Mikeebike

Somehow, and I guess it must be my fault, I have stripped the thread on the left hand crank pedal attachment point. Replacement Cube cranks are not available until end November. Are there any alternatives that I could consider instead of having to wait for 7 weeks for the Cube part?

Hi Mike.
It'll be reverse thread on that side. Might be how it happened if you thought it was conventional. (Lefty tighty, not righty tighty on the left side crank arm)
The first thing I'd try is to clean up the threads on the crank arm. How about trying a shop where they have a tap set to attempt it, unless you have access to one? Remind them it'll be reverse thread.

CN

If I am not mistaken Bosch motors use ISIS standard crank arms, so and left ISIS arm of the correct length will suffice. The length should be printed or stamped on the inside of the arm; 170, 172.5, and 175mm are the most common sizes.

As CN points out, if the arm's pedal threads are not completely stripped, it can be chased with a pedal tap. If it is completely stripped, it is also possible to have a Unior brand insert installed which repairs the arm.

Thank you for your helpful replies. However, I’ve taken the easy route out and bought new cranks. I was relying on the supplier sourcing the cranks from Cube but I then thought it’s a Bosch motor so perhaps the cranks are supplied by Bosch. A google search then found the correct cranks which are being delivered today.

Back